Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/27/2015 6:39:37 PM EDT
My current build has the provision for FA, but I have no use for one.  Do the FA "vents" really make a difference as far as gasses hitting you in the face, or is this just another sham part?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:22:36 PM EDT
[#1]
never heard of such a thnig, but it sounds like a  fix to a non existing problem
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:28:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure I know exactly what you're talking about, but I have an idea.  I presume you're talking about the aftermarket vent that replaces the forward assist, or something akin to that.

If you want to avoid getting blowback in your face or throwing oil and carbon onto your eyepro, try a modified charging handle, like a PRI gas buster.  
You can also modify your upper with some RTV sealant on the top-rear-most portion of your charging handle.

ETA: After thinking about it, are you sure it's a full auto vent?  If it's abbreviated, it's probably referring to a forward assist vent.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Forward assist vent...

Unless you are shooting suppressed, they won't make a difference.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:00:07 PM EDT
[#4]
That would suck for a lefty.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:02:31 PM EDT
[#5]
There is a current thread in the suppressor section (under "armory") that discusses them.  Seems most who use them like them (with suppressors).
If you don't have a suppressor it should not make a difference.

thread

Example

and, sounds like they work but other option would be adjustable gas block (and can seal and/or vent charging handle)
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:35:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I made one from some scrap Delrin I had that has a much greater exit port surface area than the commercially available FA vent that I have seen. I made it as thin walled as I could to allow maximum gas to escape and to shave a little weight (very little, but it all adds up). It is clearly getting fouled at the exit of the vent, so gas is definitely coming out of it. During initial testing I could see a little cloud maybe 4" in diameter coming out of it with each shot. I have no clue exactly how much of that particular fouling would previously make it to my face, but I can tell a difference in perceived gas face and I already had a SB and PRI on this weapon. I am also noticing that my trigger finger is cleaner after a session as well.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:17:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I've shot with one - it's less gas to the face.

Won't go and replace all my FA with them - building a new upper? Sure why not.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:33:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I plan to run suppressed in the near future, and I do run adjustable gas blocks on all my builds.  I appreciate the input, and I will read the dedicated thread.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:19:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Never had a venting problem with my 5.56 BCM upper but my 9mm upper and all the rest that shoot either surplus or steel ammo will usually blow a little residue on my glasses so I did the RTV mod to all the handles a few years ago, it's easy, cheap and it works.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:26:26 AM EDT
[#10]
important for suppressors
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:51:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
important for suppressors
View Quote

I think the word you're looking for is appropriate... not important.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:57:52 AM EDT
[#12]
They definitely help when shooting suppressed. No other reason for it for me.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:41:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I am perplexed as to why at least one manufacturer made theirs look like a forward assist, since it does no forward assisting.  Granted, it's as useful as a forward assist as an actual forward assist...

The side of the BCG blocks the access to the opening inside the upper most of the time, and while it seems like a cool idea, I doubt it does much of what we all want it to do.  I have one, and now the smoke comes out just to the right of my eye, instead of under it.  Whether or not that is beneficial depends on wind speed and direction.

RTV to the charging handle = works.  Forward assist vent? = Meh.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:24:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Chose to just install the FA, we will see how bad the blowback is on this build.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:26:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Chose to just install the FA, we will see how bad the blowback is on this build.
View Quote

If you have an adjustable gas block you'll be fine. With my Govnah I get no gas to the face.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top