Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2017 10:58:40 AM EDT
***Need opinions from others in the know...

Do I need to take this to gunsmith and get the headspace checked or can I treat this BCG as a true drop-in part and start shooting? I have read varied opinions on this online.

I have purchased two completed AR uppers (with BCG's) from Del-Ton, in the past, but they were test fired before shipped to me. Not had to worry about headspace testing with those uppers. I have completed two 'lower' builds in the past but not an upper.

After a year of patience, I now have all parts to complete a new upper and want to learn this process. I purchased this BCG and want to use it but am questioning headspace. I don't have the ability to check the headspace myself (tool/know-how) so I am looking for some advice from others who have used these BCG's.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 11:12:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 2:38:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I've tried a couple dozen different bcgs and never checked headspace. Built several rifles fir friends and haven't checked. Never an issue but those first couple of shots put of a new gun always make me a little nervous . I usually put the rifle in a rest and keep my face away from it when firing the first 3 shots or so.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've tried a couple dozen different bcgs and never checked headspace. Built several rifles fir friends and haven't checked. Never an issue but those first couple of shots put of a new gun always make me a little nervous . I usually put the rifle in a rest and keep my face away from it when firing the first 3 shots or so.
View Quote

Hold the rifle around a tree where your face and torso is protected if you are that afraid if the test shots! Lol.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 6:28:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I use Fail Zero exclusively in my AR's and never had an issue.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Been building since early 90s and never headspaced an AR.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
***Need opinions from others in the know...

Do I need to take this to gunsmith and get the headspace checked or can I treat this BCG as a true drop-in part and start shooting? I have read varied opinions on this online.

I have purchased two completed AR uppers (with BCG's) from Del-Ton, in the past, but they were test fired before shipped to me. Not had to worry about headspace testing with those uppers. I have completed two 'lower' builds in the past but not an upper.

After a year of patience, I now have all parts to complete a new upper and want to learn this process. I purchased this BCG and want to use it but am questioning headspace. I don't have the ability to check the headspace myself (tool/know-how) so I am looking for some advice from others who have used these BCG's.
View Quote

Most of the time you're OK with any high quality bolt, but the reality is that headspace gauges are cheap compared to what they do. I use them.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 8:12:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one and have run it in 2 different set ups.

Troy Carbine factory rifle (that infamous Dicks sports deal) and an Aero upper with Faxon 18" flame barrel, both have run perfectly with it. Would buy another, no worries. But if worried, check head space as others have said.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:03:26 AM EDT
[#8]
If you have tested that barrel with a Mil Spec BCG already, the answer is yes.  There are two parts to proper headspace.  The other is the barrel/barrel extension.  That has to be in spec or ANY BCG could present an issue
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:40:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use Fail Zero exclusively in my AR's and never had an issue.
View Quote

I've always had one or two but thanks to PA sales now every AR does and I have my BCMs as spares.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:43:46 PM EDT
[#10]
My experience. I had two popular BCG's easily fail the NO-GO gauge on my LMT upper. LMT tested the upper  for me and it is in spec and like new. I bought a Fail Zero BCG and it passed the NO-GO gauge test like a new in spec upper/BCG combo should.

NEW  in spec parts should not fail a NO-GO gauge test but you'll never know unless you use gauges.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:30:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Dropped right into a budget build.

I barreled many uppers for myself and friends.  Never any bad head spacing using a USGI field gauge.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:12:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:51:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I have found a number of barrels that failed a Go gage check with a high tolerance bolt.
Measured from the back of the lugs to the bolt face the tolerance range for bolts is .153” to .156”.
Approximately 40% of the bolts I have bought measured in the high end of the tolerance range.
My sample size is too small and scattered over too many years to claim it is representative, but it is more than enough to keep me checking.

Factory ammo can easily be several thousandths shorter than minimum weapon headspace.
So typical ammo will run just fine if the headspace is only a little out, but get some ammo that is at or near the max tolerance and a person can start seeing various malfunctions.
Ever notice that when high pressure ammo gets out only some weapons go KB.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top