Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 5/28/2003 5:51:14 AM EDT
I would post this in the form of a poll, but since I have not yet figured out that feature I will simply do this as a question/experiment. This all started as I was looking into getting an ACOG, but was kind of suprised by the apparently short eye relief on them.

How many folks out there can do the "nose to charge handle" sight picture? I took a measurement of my own eye relief by placing a ruler between the carry handle/rear sight gap and sliding it back to my eye while holding what I thought was a comfortable sight pic with a solid cheek weld.

I was rather suprised to find out I have about 4 1/2-5" of eye relief to the rear sight. To put it another way, the ridge of my cheekbone rests right on the plastic lip on the front end of my (post-ban) collapsible stock. As a side note, I am 5'-6" tall, and the stock measures 10 1/4" in length. I tried to touch my nose to the charge handle and found I could not do it and still use the iron sights!

So the real queston is: Is this a typical eye relief for most people (or most smaller people)? Has anyone collected data on operator height vs. eye relief for the M16/M4?
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:12:30 AM EDT
I've tried that same thing and it doesn't work for me either. I think nose to charging handle is WAY to close and less accurate.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:34:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/28/2003 6:35:58 AM EDT by XM777]
Nose to charging is way too close for me also. Not only is the sight picture less than optimum, holding that position for any length of time results in "a pain in the neck". For me, cheekbone on the front edge of the plastic stock, but not touching the metal tube portion is ideal. TA11's longer eye relief works great in this configuration. [added] I am 6'4" with a 38" sleeve lenght.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:41:56 AM EDT
I'm also a short guy 5'4", my cheekweld is nose barely touching the charging handle. I have a pre-ban so I have the stock fully collapsed or on the first notch depending on the situation.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:42:36 AM EDT
I just got a TA01 and I mounted it on a flattop preban Colt. I was dissapointed in the eye relief of this optic as well. In order for me to be comfortable shooting this setup I need to have my stock one click short of being all the way in. Even then My cheek is at the edge of the metal tube. If I had a postban fixed telestock my cheek would be on the metal tube even with the scope mounted as far back as the flattop mount will allow. I am looking to find a way to get the TA01 even farther rearward. I also have a Mark 4 CQ/T on a preban Bushmaster and find that alot more forgiving on head position,even in 3x than the TA01. Both have very clear glass and I like the recticle on the TA01 better.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:09:58 AM EDT
I do nose to the charging handle (and I'm 5'8"). Its not a problem, its not too close, and I'd dare say its FAR more consistant than any other way (and consistancy is the key the accuracy). It may be a problem if you still have and A2 stock (or one of those Faux telestocks). Or it will be a problem if you are one of those that holdes their rifle at a large angle from their chest; instead of parallel (or close to it) to their chest.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:10:21 AM EDT
I hadn't considered how the angle-off-chest would affect head position. When I go home tonight I'll see how having the receiver close to my chest affects the sight distance. I will say that the way I currently hold the rifle I could probably lop 1-1/2 to 2" off the stock and it would still be comfortable. And thanks XM177, I think you answered the question I didn't even get around to asking: looks like a TA11 with the longer eye relief is more likely to work for me than the shorter eye-relief ACOGs.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 2:33:08 PM EDT
A few things are involved here. First you must seat the rifle into your shoulder pocket and not on your pectoral muscle. Second you must pull the shoulder back and not crunch it forward. This will alter the eye relief by a coupe of inches alone. If that still does not work lift the elbow to a 90 degree angle to your torso. Put the stock in the crease between your front deltoid muscle and your bicep. This will allow you to choke up effectively on a long stock but dont do it on high recoil weapons for long shooting sessions if you have bony/girly arms as it will bruise you after a while. Also lay your head forward and down like a vulture not just to the side. Finally by holding the rifle more forward and less bladed you will increase the the distance to the rear sight. A more bladed stance will let you choke up more on the stock. The butt in the arm technique is also usefull if you are using an old style collapsing stock and try to lift the rifle too high to get it to your face and have a problem with the toe of the stock slipping up over your shoulder pocket.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:01:18 PM EDT
I use the nose to charging handle method, and I'm a pretty tall guy. I find it very comfortable, and more importantly consistant. I go shooting with a friend of mine who is about 5'5" and at first he could not get his nose to the charging handle. After some instruction he was doing it fine, and now finds it much more comfortable. I don't think it has to do with size. It's more about positioning. If the nose to charging handle method doesn't work for you, then find a comfortable position that works. One method is not going to work for everyone. Play around with it, try some of the suggestions listed above and see what happens. Steve.
Top Top