Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/27/2004 8:39:57 AM EDT

Just wanted see if anyone else has had similar circumstances with this ammo.

I had a FTej at a recent range trip & when I went to inspect, discovered that the extractor had taken a chunk out of the bullet's rim, and the bullet was stuck (of course) and had to be freed with a rod.  I was shooting with an almost brand-new Colt bolt/carrier, so I can only assume that it was ammo-related.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:44:35 PM EDT
[#1]
If your getting this on a Colt barrel, then it's time to chuck up a 30 cal mop soaked with Borebrite on a few cleaning rods and do some spin cleaning in the chamber.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Often a rough chamber will "grab and hold" the case when fired, then the sharp extractor claw can rip the rim off.  Many of us polish our chambers on new barrels, to avoid this exact problem.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:44:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Or...sometimes it is the crappy ammunition. Out of spec.

MT

I always have to laugh at products with Brands like American and USA that are made half a world away.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:55:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had that happen with just about every brand of ammo, from Wolf to Q3131A.  It starts happening between 10-20 rounds, I think it's a rough chamber.  When I get my new MB upper in I'm going to have it checked.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:43:21 AM EDT
[#5]
So how do you polish a chamber?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:03:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Use a chamber brush and/or a new .45 cal brush.  

Attach the brush a half-length of cleaning rod.  

Insert rod into electric drill.  

Insert oil soaked brush into chamber with drill running at highest speed.  

Buzz brush in and out and back and forth for a minute or two.  

All sorts of brown crud will likely come out.  

Hose out with brake cleaner or gun scrubber.  

Dry with mop or patch.  

Should do the trick.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Okay, this thread is going on in two places now. How likely is this to affect headspace?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 2:10:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been having a big problem with FTE's, with every type of different ammo.. Winchester, Rem or Wolf, it doesnt matter. My extractor pulls chunks off the rim of the round, while leaving the rd in the chamber. Have to get out the afore mentioned rod and bang the round out.I am definately going to try this polishing procedure, but I have a few questions about it.

1. Is this ok to do on chrome lined barrels?. I ask in case I fuck up and push to hard on the drill and slip a little

2. As mentioned above, does it affect headspace in anyway?

?

Thanks for the help....
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:58:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:13:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top