Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/13/2005 9:26:36 PM EDT
Just bought a RRA Tac Entry Model. I noticed it has no extractor buffer attached to the extractor spring.  My last two ARs had the buffer.  What is the reason for the buffer? Are there any benefits or drawbacks to not having one?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#1]
You will be fine without it. Its generally used to ID the spring.. STD. Heavy etc. There are several colors.. Black, blue, red...
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:06:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You will be fine without it. Its generally used to ID the spring.. STD. Heavy etc. There are several colors.. Black, blue, red...

basically what i have heard/read as well. are you have extraction problems?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:30:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Geez...they didn't give you a buffer? What a shame.
get hold of a black buffer.

Hotgun
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:47:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:26:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

basically what i have heard/read as well. are you have extraction problems?

No Problems..just wondering why some had them and some do not?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:56:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:51:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Called RRA today.  It was an oversight by them, and they are sending me one along with another spring for my trouble.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:10:37 PM EDT
[#8]
So if you want the ultimate in extraction you should get a black buffer insert to go in your Wolff extra power extractor spring surrounded by a D-fender/D-ring???

Am I right in thinking that you only need these upgrades in your rifle if it's having extraction problems, but all carbines should have the parts installed from the beginning Or should you only install the upgraded parts in your carbine if it's having extraction problems?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:14:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So if you want the ultimate in extraction you should get a black buffer insert to go in your Wolff extra power extractor spring surrounded by a D-fender/D-ring???

I'm I right in thinking that you only need these upgrades in your rifle if it's having extraction problems, but all carbines should have the parts installed from the begininghould

I'd think that boosting extractor tension that much might decrease extractor life, but hell, I don't really have any experience with that issue.   Maybe tweak does.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:46:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:18:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+2

The color of the insert (harmonic dampener) has nothing to due with it's density, intensity, resistance, etc. The various colors over the years has been a way for Colt  to track which spring was installed. Lots of colors have been used..white, red, gray, blue and black. Each color change came with a product improvement program. The most current insert color is black and it denotes a stronger extractor spring used in the carbines.
Use whatever color you want, frankly with the strength of the XD wolf springs folks are using, the insert it's doing awhole lot...
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:28:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+2

The color of the insert (harmonic dampener) has nothing to due with it's density, intensity, resistance, etc. The various colors over the years has been a way for Colt  to track which spring was installed. Lots of colors have been used..white, red, gray, blue and black. Each color change came with a product improvement program. The most current insert color is black and it denotes a stronger extractor spring used in the carbines.
Use whatever color you want, frankly with the strength of the XD wolf springs folks are using, the insert it's doing awhole lot...

....mostly true.....but, the stiffer inserts cannot be produced in the lighter colors (ie. other than black). The black insertt is also standard in rifles, however "blue" inserts are acceptable in rifles.

Hotgun
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:42:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Called RRA today.  It was an oversight by them, and they are sending me one along with another spring for my trouble.

w00t!
good customer service wins the day!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:28:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Most bolts / BCG's are coming out with blue inserts no? My CMT bolt did and that's all I've seen in pics and people talk about here on the forums. Didn't know there were any other colors. So changing the insert alone doesn't do anything the color just identifys the spring used? In that case you could keep the blue and replace the spring with a Wolf.

I wanted increased reliability / insurance but didn't want to go overkill or decrease my extractor's life so I kept the original setup and added a D-Fender.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+2

....mostly true.....but, the stiffer inserts cannot be produced in the lighter colors (ie. other than black). The black insertt is also standard in rifles, however "blue" inserts are acceptable in rifles.

Hotgun

They could make an insert with glow in the dark rubber or hot pink if they want. , get ahold of a DRMO M16 that has been packed away since the mid 70's chances are the insert is not blue or black. Seen and worked on quite a few DRMO M16
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:36:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:22:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm I right in thinking that you only need these upgrades in your rifle if it's having extraction problems,

+1, but a little extra for insurance isn't a bad thing.

So is it the same for both rifles and carbines, that you only need these upgrades if you are having extraction problems?

Also Tweak, could it be a bad thing to have all of the upgrades in use at the same time, the black buffer insert, Wolff extra power extractor spring and the D-ring?

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:32:25 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd keep the stock components and add a D-Fender for added insurance. If you have extraction problems try it without the D-Fender, if it still has issues put the D-Fender back in there and replace the spring with a Wolf. That's my plan anyway, but I don't expect to have any extraction issues with the D-Fender in there...I am wondering why new BCG's have blue inserts though.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:13:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I'd keep the stock components and add a D-Fender for added insurance. If you have extraction problems try it without the D-Fender, if it still has issues put the D-Fender back in there and replace the spring with a Wolf. That's my plan anyway, but I don't expect to have any extraction issues with the D-Fender in there...I am wondering why new BCG's have blue inserts though.

Where do you get this wolf?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:33:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:58:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Ok, thanks guys.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:50:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Wolf=  gunsprings.com
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top