Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/7/2005 6:26:28 PM EDT
My colt is having issues pulling a spent caseing out of the chamber! I have upgraded to a wolf spring, used several diffrent types of ammo from Olympic to PMC and the result is the same! While trying to extract the spent case I have bent the brass lip because my extractor is attatched to it so well! So I don't think it is an extractor issue, anyone have any ideas?????
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:50:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like the same thing that happened to me.  I was advised by some pretty creditable people to use one of the following: some steel wool (very fine), or scotch bright pad (very fine), or even just a good chamber brush.  I put some very fine steel wool around my chamber brush and used some G96 to lubricate.  I then just put it on the end of a solid pistol cleaning rod, and turned it around in side the chamber for about 3 minutes.  If you have a good rod with out a handle you could put it in a drill and use a low speed for about 30 seconds.

I was told to do it for 30 seconds, but when I did it by hand it worked just fine.  Took a bit longer but the problem was solved.  Latter the guy who sold me the upper took a look at it and did some of the same just to be sure.  Good customer service.

Good luck, and I hope that helps.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:11:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I will have to consider doing this... I have had it the rifle for years and it always has been a little ammo picky but nothing like this, so its not a case of being new and needing some clean up work...

Thank you
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:14:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Chamber chrome lined?what kind of model Colt?could be a tight chamber.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:16:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Ahh I was having this issue yesterday, I would shoot a 30 rounder in a few minutes, as soon as I let someone else shoot he got 3 rounds off then the case was stuck in the camber. Took it back taped out the case, I put another 30 rounds though it to make sure it wouln't happen again, then I let a someone else try to shoot it, gets one round off then the case got stuck again. I was using wolf, so I gave it a very good cleaning, go 20rds of brass and ill go out next week to see if any of that helped, Here are some pics of the case that got stuck. This is odd because this is the first time it has happened and this rifle has more than 500 rounds of wolf though with no problems at all, that and whenever I shot it it worked fine.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:17:13 PM EDT
[#5]
nwgrumpy,
What kind of ammo are you putting through it, and have you been feeding it the same diet?

btw, what I proposed in my first post wouldn't hurt anything anyway.  It would just smooth out the chamber.  It couldn't hurt.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:23:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I was having the same problem using the spanish ammo.  I switched to a 30 rd mag full of Winchester Ranger duty ammo and hand zero problems.  When I switched back to the spanish stuff it went right back in the fail to extract mode.  May be the ammo.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:42:26 PM EDT
[#7]
You could check for the obvious, excess fouling in the bore chamber area.  Another thing is some of the casing might be off wack a tad and when preasure increases the casing stretches to meet and somewhat fits to the chamber (makes for really good reloading) and the extra residue in there can make it harder to extract per SOME cases!  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:44:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
While trying to extract the spent case I have bent the brass lip because my extractor is attatched to it so well!

It could be a timing issue as well, with the brass being extracted before chamber pressures have dropped enough. Bent or torn case rims are one indication of this. What type of stock are you using? If it is a telestock, a heavier buffer might slow things down a bit and allow chamber pressures to drop.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:10:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I have had that problem once and only once. I was the same problem you guys were describing, I gave the gun a through look over and cleaning and haven't had it again.
That was My FIRST malfucntion with my frankencarbine, I have been very happy with it since. I still didn't understand why it happened.

FYI I was shooting around 800 rounds of nato spec M193  5.56 ammo, I had just ran through a 1000 rounds of wolf before that.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
While trying to extract the spent case I have bent the brass lip because my extractor is attatched to it so well!

It could be a timing issue as well, with the brass being extracted before chamber pressures have dropped enough. Bent or torn case rims are one indication of this. What type of stock are you using? If it is a telestock, a heavier buffer might slow things down a bit and allow chamber pressures to drop.

+1

The steel 9mm buffer helped my extraction issues. With the CAR buffer, it was doing the exact same thing so I bought a RRA 9mm buffer at a gunshow and it hasn't done it since (over 1000rds since I put the 9mm buffer in)

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:44:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry first chance for me to reply.

I have used Olympic, PMC and Ultramax. this problem first started when I bought the Olympic, after talking to people on here I bought some PMC to give that a try and changed the extractor spring once I did that it seemed to run good so I figurewd I had it fixed. I took my AR out again and ran into the same problem. I do have a tele stock that has the "H" buffer in it so I guess it could possibly be a timing thing although I believe that I am the cause of the bent case because I have taped some of the spent casings out with a cleaning rod and they did not have a bent lip...

The barrel is chrome lined but I am not absolutly certain that the chamber is. This is a Colt Match Target Competition HBAR II Chamberd in 5.56.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:50:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

The steel 9mm buffer helped my extraction issues. With the CAR buffer, it was doing the exact same thing so I bought a RRA 9mm buffer at a gunshow and it hasn't done it since (over 1000rds since I put the 9mm buffer in)

WIZZO

WIZZO_ARAKM14....Is that with using wolf?  

Went shooting with a board member last week and he had a stuck case (wolf) in a RRA upper, extractor ripped it pretty good.  It was on a stag lower that I think had a car. buffer.  Still have to Email him & see how the extraction went.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:01:59 PM EDT
[#13]
You must be mistaken Colts never have any problems.
It must be another brand.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:09:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I wish this was the case at the moment!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:34:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

WIZZO_ARAKM14....Is that with using wolf?  

Went shooting with a board member last week and he had a stuck case (wolf) in a RRA upper, extractor ripped it pretty good.  It was on a stag lower that I think had a car. buffer.  Still have to Email him & see how the extraction went.

Yes and No.

I was at the range trying out some new Q3131a and was having problems with it not extracing and I threw in a mag of Wolf and it was doing the same thing (to a lesser extent, believe it or not). I put the 9mm buffer back in and didn't have a problem.

BTW, most all of the ammo I shoot is Wolf, and I have only had about 5 stuck cases at any other time. At the range this day, I had about 6 total (I think about 4 with Q3131a and 2 with Wolf, IIRC)

WIZZO

EDIT: The upper in question was an M&A Parts M4gery w/A2 upper and 5.56mm chamber. The barrel and chamber are NOT chrome lined.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:48:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Would an RRB buffer work better than a 9mm buffer?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:23:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:01:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Would an RRB buffer work better than a 9mm buffer?

Are you talking about the MGI rate/recoil reducing buffer? If so, itshould be plenty heavy at around 7 ounces or so.

If you are already running an "H" buffer and it's not helping, then it's probably not a timing issue. You could just have a rough/tight chamber.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:05:03 PM EDT
[#19]
you know, I just started getting this also.
I wonder if there was a "extra nasty" batch of Wolf out there.

I dumped a 30 rd mag in my BM M4 and i got a stuck case.  after I banged it out, I switched over to my other rifle while the M4 cooled.  Fired two 30 rd mags in the M4... stuck case.

I clean my chambers each and everytime with the Wolf. I wonder if I have a scratch or bur going on in there...

I am now up to 10.7k of Wolf in this M4 and this is the first time I have stuck cases (3 total this day)

I may do that polishing trick after I inspect the chamber for burs or scratches
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top