Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/30/2004 5:38:24 PM EDT
Should I install an extra power spring on my Bushy 16"? I've read alot about carbines having extraction issues.
Also, this was posted on Wolf's site:
"Springs should be used in combination with the new BLACK extractor spring insert available from Colt"

What's a "black extractor spring insert"?
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:43:01 PM EDT
Yeah i want to know too.....
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:20:21 PM EDT
I had some problems on a Colt shorty too until I installed a spring and insert from http://www.sawlesales.com/

Part #: SA05006
Description: EXTRACTOR SPRING ASSY, S/A
HEAVY DUTY (GREEN W/ BLACK INSERT)
Price: 5.50

Part #: SA05012
Description: EXTRACTOR SPRING ASSY, S/A
HEAVY DUTY (GREEN W/ BLUE INSERT)
Price: 5.50

Technical assistance:
Ken Elmore, owner ken@specializedarmament.com

Sales and Accounting:
Tina Elmore, Office Manager/Sales Coordinator tina@specializedarmament.com
(480) 940-7397 ext 10

Tina helped me decide which one was right for my application.
Call or email them for assistance.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:32:45 PM EDT
Alloy, how much was shipping? Is this part colt specific?
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:44:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/30/2004 7:09:04 PM EDT by mattld]
For the 101st time, the color of the insert does not matter. If you want a good extractor spring, get the Wolff Extra Power Extractor spring that most ARFCOMMERs will recommend.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:50:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/30/2004 6:52:11 PM EDT by CJan_NH]

Originally Posted By bigkracka:
Should I install an extra power spring on my Bushy 16"? I've read alot about carbines having extraction issues.
"Springs should be used in combination with the new BLACK extractor spring insert available from Colt"

Are you having extraction problems with your Bushy? An extra power spring can't hurt, all of my carbines have Colt HD M4 springs. The Wolff springs are good too.

The color of the extractor insert is only for identification purposes. There is no functional difference between the different colors. All that text on Wolf's site does is give people the false notion that they need to go out and buy something else. Your Bushy probably has a blue insert. That blue insert is no different than my black Colt inserts except for the color.

For the 101st time, the insert does not matter. If you want a good extractor spring, get the Wolff Extra Power Extractor spring that most ARFCOMMERs will recommend.

For the love of Christ, thank you

This question should probably be tacked-it seems like it comes up every couple of days.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:02:18 PM EDT
Matt and Cjan, thanks. Exactly what I wanted to know. I've only fired 120rds so far with no problems, I might get the EP springs anyway, it won't hurt anything.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:08:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CJan_NH:

Are you having extraction problems with your Bushy? An extra power spring can't hurt, all of my carbines have Colt HD M4 springs. The Wolff springs are good too.

The color of the extractor insert is only for identification purposes. There is no functional difference between the different colors. All that text on Wolf's site does is give people the false notion that they need to go out and buy something else. Your Bushy probably has a blue insert. That blue insert is no different than my black Colt inserts except for the color.

For the 101st time, the insert does not matter. If you want a good extractor spring, get the Wolff Extra Power Extractor spring that most ARFCOMMERs will recommend.

For the love of Christ, thank you

This question should probably be tacked-it seems like it comes up every couple of days.

Exactly. Last time I posted about this I said it was the 100th time. This is the 101st time. From now on I am keeping a count.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:10:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/30/2004 7:10:44 PM EDT by metroplex]
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:16:22 PM EDT
Just ordered the 3-pak direct from Wolf. I have a C&R so they give a nice discount and no screw job on shipping($3.50 first class usps).
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:31:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/31/2004 6:49:23 AM EDT by shamayim]

Just ordered the 3-pak direct from Wolf. I have a C&R so they give a nice discount and no screw job on shipping($3.50 first class usps).

Funny. I don't have a C&R, so pay retail. On the other hand, when they shipped my springs, they didn't charge me for shipping. Just sent'em first class mail.

Works out pretty close to the same, huh?

BTW, the misconception about the insert color does have an historical basis. When the first M16s were built the insert was white. When Colt did the upgrades after the rash of reports on malfunctions started coming in, one of the changes they made was to stiffen the insert. They went to the blue color specifically to denote the stiffer insert.

Thus, when they went to the black with the M4 spring, a lot of us, myself included, just assumed that Colt had once again stiffened the insert, and was again using the color change to indicate that. Turns out that this time, the color change represented only an indicator of the stiffer spring for GI armorers; because Ordnance specifies that replacement springs AND inserts be packaged together. Wolff apparently made the same assumption, as witnessed by the note on their catalog listing.

That horse's hind end at SAW Sales has further confused the issue by continuing to claim that the black pieces ARE stiffer. Either he's lying, or Colt is---and somehow I prefer to believe the guy I talked to at Colt awhile back.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 12:11:58 AM EDT
FWIW, i'm running the HD springs without any inserts. no problems.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 5:18:02 AM EDT

Alloy, how much was shipping? Is this part colt specific?

I stopped in at the SAWSales shop last year when I was out there and picked up my order.

Call them if you have some questions.

It's an excellent product.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 5:28:07 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 7:46:46 AM EDT
sometimes ( depending on their source ) the different color inserts represent a difference in the durameter of the insert. The black insert is probably a harder durometer making it harder to compress, thus more tension is loaded against the extractor.
Top Top