Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 5/25/2003 11:51:31 AM EDT
Has anyone knowlege of a stubby stock with an extending butt plate. LMK is this available and is it a worthwile item to persue. Thanks

Chris
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:05:06 PM EDT
This isn't really what you asked about, but if you just want a longer stock, [url=www.del-ton.com]Del-Ton[/url] offered a spacer that would extend the shorty stock (or a1 or a2) by 1". It consists of one spacer that goes next to the lower receiver and another one that goes inside the stock to extend the buffer tube. Their price was very reasonable, $10 or so. I can't find it on their web site at the moment.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:16:18 PM EDT
I've seen this item you are talking about. DPMS sell an item called a butt stock end extender. I am not familliar with this item.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:28:48 PM EDT
I've got a Stubby stock on the way actually, and am planning on an extension [:)] Check out this link for a really good look at many stock options(including extensions)... [url]http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/stocks.msnw[/url]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:52:42 PM EDT
Uhhmm, doesn't adding an "extension" to a "stubby" stock defeat the whole purpose of using the "stubby" in th first place? Why not just [b]start[/b] with the A1 stock, instead of building up to one?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 3:03:03 PM EDT
Originally Posted By dcobra23: Has anyone knowlege of a stubby stock with an extending butt plate. LMK is this available and is it a worthwile item to persue. Thanks
View Quote
Like this? [img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=3031[/img]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 3:53:31 PM EDT
DCobra23: I have a Sully short stock mounted on my 16" Bushmaster. Excellent quality, but actually too short for regular shooting and my long arms. Bushmaster lists a butt extender, that will give 1.75" extra. As for using an A1....they just don't look as neat as the Sully.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:13:06 PM EDT
Check Fulton Armory. They have an extendable stubby. Kind of a legal M4 telescoping stock idea which I am in favor of 100%. Magpul will have a convertable short stock out soon but I don't think it is adjustable unless you add the spacer. More of a permanent reconfigure. I also saw an adjustable from Gunsmoke Enterprises which has an adjustable cheek piece too! I have a question in to them to give length of pull max and min. Will post. ACE Skeleton has a stubby version that looks great too but sadly isn't adjustable.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:17:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By notack: Uhhmm, doesn't adding an "extension" to a "stubby" stock defeat the whole purpose of using the "stubby" in th first place? Why not just [b]start[/b] with the A1 stock, instead of building up to one?
View Quote
The shorty stock with one spacer is still considerably shorter than the A1.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:15:57 PM EDT
Has anybody used the Gunsmoke Enterprise stock extension with one of the stubby stocks? This is the part listed on the Maryland AR forum. If anyone has used it, does it add enough length to the stock? Scott
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:39:39 PM EDT
I have a stubby stock that I extended with the bushmaster 1.75" stock extender. It fits me perfectly, although the extender doesn't quite fit flush to the stock but it isn't to bad.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:21:43 AM EDT
A stubby stock with an extender will bring the overall stock length to 8.25". A Sully stock with extender will bring the overall stock length to 9" which is just 7/8" shorter than an A1 stock. You can also replace the buttplate on the stubby stock with an trapdoor style buttplate which will give you another 1/4" in length. Check out this list of [url=http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/stocks.msnw] stock reviews[/url] at the Maryland AR15 Shooters site. It's the most comprehensive list that I know of. Very helpful to say the least.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:53:54 PM EDT
I've decided to go with the A1! Thanks to all for the great input!
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:36:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/29/2003 9:37:46 AM EDT by hepcat85]
Originally Posted By fizassist:
Originally Posted By notack: Uhhmm, doesn't adding an "extension" to a "stubby" stock defeat the whole purpose of using the "stubby" in th first place? Why not just [b]start[/b] with the A1 stock, instead of building up to one?
View Quote
The shorty stock with one spacer is still considerably shorter than the A1.
View Quote
I have a Fulton Guardian Stock that's basically a stubby with an extendable butt. I added the KAC ambidex sling (purchased from Chris Rose of Eagle Arms, who's one of the best customer service folks ever!) It's a 1 inch spacer that includes a swivel that can be swung from one side to the other instantly. Added CQB Solutions single point sling. As an ambidex shooter it's the greatest config ever. And it's still MUCH shorter than an A2. Check out the CAR version of the spacer. If you want to see the fixed version, just ask Chris. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=25&t=165705
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 2:48:07 AM EDT
Is the adjustable butt plate legal, and if so, how?
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:10:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/2/2003 6:41:00 AM EDT by hepcat85]
Originally Posted By Johnphin: Is the adjustable butt plate legal, and if so, how?
View Quote
Why wouldn't it be legal? They make a non-adjustable stubby stock that's legal, (as does Bushmaster). The adjustable stock allows you to INCREASE the length to full A2 AND it allows you to move the hard rubber end plate up or down to better fit various shooters. I keep it short, and with the spacer it's a perfect compromise between length and practical use. Check out the Fulton Armory home page and take a look at the Guardian Rifle in the rifles section OR the Guardian Buttstock in the Parts section. Hep
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:19:10 AM EDT
Originally Posted By hepcat85:
Originally Posted By Johnphin: Is the adjustable butt plate legal, and if so, how?
View Quote
Why wouldn't it be legal?
View Quote
1994 Assault Weapons Ban. It lists folding, collapsable, or telescoping stocks as an assault weapon feature if used on a weapon with a pistol grip, such as the AR.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:41:10 AM EDT
Sorry Johnphin, I have to call you on this one. Your interpretation of the AW ban is incorrect IMHO. The Fulton Armory Guardian stock IS legal on post-ban rifles. Heck, that's all Fulton Armory sells. It's not like they can "make" pre-bans, right? Since the stock's length can only be adjusted with a tool and not "on the fly", it's not considered telescoping, collapsible or folding. Heck, there have been adjustable AR stocks that operate in the same manner for years. Unfortunately, those stocks have all been for "space" guns.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:49:03 AM EDT
Hey Matt_B, I don't have any experience with the Magpul stocks, are they adjustable on the fly? If not, I guess they fall into the same category as the Shorty stocks. Kurt
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:06:48 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Matt_B: Sorry Johnphin, I have to call you on this one. Your interpretation of the AW ban is incorrect IMHO. The Fulton Armory Guardian stock IS legal on post-ban rifles. Heck, that's all Fulton Armory sells. It's not like they can "make" pre-bans, right? Since the stock's length can only be adjusted with a tool and not "on the fly", it's not considered telescoping, collapsible or folding. Heck, there have been adjustable AR stocks that operate in the same manner for years. Unfortunately, those stocks have all been for "space" guns.
View Quote
Nothing to be sorry about, it was an honest question on my part. I didn't mean to come across as advocating that interpretation. I was just wondering if they were illegal because of the AWB. Now I want one! [:D]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:24:09 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Johnphin:
Originally Posted By Matt_B: Sorry Johnphin, I have to call you on this one. Your interpretation of the AW ban is incorrect IMHO. The Fulton Armory Guardian stock IS legal on post-ban rifles. Heck, that's all Fulton Armory sells. It's not like they can "make" pre-bans, right? Since the stock's length can only be adjusted with a tool and not "on the fly", it's not considered telescoping, collapsible or folding. Heck, there have been adjustable AR stocks that operate in the same manner for years. Unfortunately, those stocks have all been for "space" guns.
View Quote
Nothing to be sorry about, it was an honest question on my part. I didn't mean to come across as advocating that interpretation. I was just wondering if they were illegal because of the AWB. Now I want one! [:D]
View Quote
Glad to hear that John. Sometimes, on the net, it's too easy to comes across as an a-hole and I just wanted to make sure I did not. I also misinterpreted your post. No harm, no foul .
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:28:56 AM EDT
Back to the original topic... I just found out that the extended buttplate that Bushmaster sells, will fit on the stubby stocks with the original screws. This will add 1.75" to the length of the stock. Looks like I'll be going with one of these instead of the extension that is sold by Gunsmoke. Scott
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:00:27 AM EDT
Originally Posted By hepcat85: Hey Matt_B, I don't have any experience with the Magpul stocks, are they adjustable on the fly? If not, I guess they fall into the same category as the Shorty stocks. Kurt
View Quote
Not to get too OT, but as far as I know, the stock currently available from MagPul (the M93), is for pre-bans only since you can change the length of the stock without tools. I checked out the installation manual from their site and you can set pre-set stops to change the length on the fly. However, their website indicates that they will be releasing a post-ban version. Check out their [url=http://www.bizplaces.com/magpul/]site[/url] for more info.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 11:23:49 AM EDT
Thank you for all your help sir!
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:04:53 AM EDT
Wow, I LIKE that stubby with extender....
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:27:23 PM EDT
I originally had the stubby stock with DPMS 1" buttstock extension on my Bush shorty AK. One of the best setup for me. After reading other posts about the adjustable buttplate, I decided to purchase one from Fulton Armory. In my opinion, this is one the best configuration. Retracted for home defense/ close quarters to extended for bench/target. I stash the two wrenches in the G27 pistol grip compartment.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:55:01 AM EDT
Top Top