Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/6/2004 3:15:21 PM EDT
Has anyone used the Power Custom Extended charging handle latch? This is the one that looks like the regular latch only it's extended.

The rifle will only be used for bench, prone, and off-hand shooting (no tactical carbine matches or hunting/patrolling).

I got a blood blister on one of my fingers after I slipped and the rebound action slammed the handle against my finger. I decided enough was enough with the uber tiny stock handle grip (I have long fingers and big hands). It also took a chunk of my nail along with it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:14:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Given the applications you describe (no run n' gun), why not go with the Ameetec unit. It'll give you a real handful to grab hold of.

Luck,

SD
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:36:18 PM EDT
[#2]
IMHO the best so far is the PRI extended latch.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 2:59:03 PM EDT
[#3]
The PRI looks like it might slip off my hand as well - it's got that round handle part and its small.
I already lost part of my nail - I don't want to spend $20 and lose that piece of nail again.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:05:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Why did you decide against the Tac Latch?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:07:25 PM EDT
[#5]
The Badger? It looked too big; I figure I might apply too much torque to the side of the charging handle causing it possibly snap or fracture. I like the standard design but its too damn small for my hands.

I plan to just pull the handle once at the range, but I still need to pull it to troubleshoot/test the rifle at home. That's how I got my blood blister/nail removal actually.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:44:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Um, you're not going to snap the charging handle using a Tac Latch.  I've yet to read of one instance of that happening, besides, you're pulling back on the handle, not sideways.  If you pull sideways, the damn thing won't move in the channel because of the sideload.

And you are not going to be pulling your handle "once" at the range.  You'll have to open the bolt to show clear, you'll have occassional failures that require clearance drills (it happens).

Dude, you really need to start shooting that thing.  Honestly.  You're overthinking your rifle to death.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#7]
PRI big latch is the shiznit!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 2:36:53 AM EDT
[#8]
If you grip the charging handle with a pinch of the fore finger and thumb it is quite impossible for you to slip off the PRI latch so dont worry and buy it as all here will suggest to you.  If you do not listen to us I must question why you are even a member of this forum when there is a concensus such as this yet you wont listen due to some imaginary scenario you have concocted which ios the opposite of everyones experiences with the product.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:41:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Because its not an imaginary scenario. The blood blister finally hardened up and I can dig out the blood clot pretty soon.

I can always return the Power Custom latch - I can't find any comments on it so no one must have used it. The pitiful 30-day subject-only search turned up zilch. I'd be more gung-ho to go with the PRI if I saw more problems/complaints about the Badger and PC latches.

PRI's Big Latch is only sold through some individuals/internet stores and I had to order a bunch of items on Midway to save on shipping. I'll try the PC latch and if its bad or not much of an improvement, I'll try the PRI latch. I don't get what the big deal is. I'm taking all of your input into consideration, so the next latch I'll try is the PRI. I had already ordered the PC latch (I guess I didn't mention it earlier) along with some other AR15 goodies from Midway and the shipping was lower than any other store or internet seller.

I just don't like the idea of cramped/small latches because that's how I slipped in the first place and got the nasty blister. I never liked the ultra-small charging handle when I used the M16A2 and M16A1.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:49:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top