Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2003 4:42:04 AM EDT
Why do I see pictures of soldiers holding their M16s with the stock on top of the shoulder instead of in the shoulder pocket? Doesn't seem very stable to me.

The only reason I can fathom is it shortens up the length of pull.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:21:44 AM EDT
[#1]
You know, the only thing that I can think of is that they are most probably just "resting/supporting" some of the weight on their shoulder while trying to remain at some sort of "ready" position (versus carrying it shouldered at an up-ready position).
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:38:36 AM EDT
[#2]
This position replicates the position the gun rides in when it is on a 3 point sling.

It is easy to hold a weapon this way for long periods of time and it is still quick into action. Holding something close in to the body is much easier than holding it away.

Try holding your AR out in a traditional firing stance for 5 minutes, and then try holding it in this position for 5 minutes and you will see the difference.

The torso helps support the weight of the gun and the whole arrangement is quite comfortable.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:49:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Well that makes some sense. But would then make even more sense (to me) is toting a 5.5 pound Commando or a 6 pound M4 rather than an 8-11+ pound A2 or SPR with all kinds of shit tacked onto it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:36:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Also, some guys like to rest the stock up on their shoulder if they are just using the ACOG for observation.  Same reason as listed above...you can hold it up there longer without getting tired.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:47:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Not quite!  Our body armor prevents us from getting a good stock weld!  Here are some pics from my current location.....

www.airfieldops.com

Dave
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 9:27:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Ya, I assumed it was a combination of body armour, the long A2 stock, and in some cases the short eye relief of the ACOG.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:05:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ya, I assumed it was a combination of body armour, the long A2 stock,
View Quote

You assumed correctly.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:36:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well that makes some sense. But would then make even more sense (to me) is toting a 5.5 pound Commando or a 6 pound M4 rather than an 8-11+ pound A2 or SPR with all kinds of shit tacked onto it.
View Quote

Most soldiers don't have a choice, they're issued a rifle and they use it, whether it's an M4 or a M16A2.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:32:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not quite!  Our body armor prevents us from getting a good stock weld!  Here are some pics from my current location.....

www.airfieldops.com

Dave
View Quote

Lots of cool photos but none that illustrated what was discussed in the thread. Can someone point to some that do? I'm curious about it and don't know if I'm visualizing the right thing or not. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:20:06 PM EDT
[#10]
what the?  they are holding A1's in the pictures section of Iraq.  Man, Im active duty, and I know that we tend to not always get the best equipment, but that really sucks if they are using 62gr in those.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:52:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Here are some pics from my current location.....

www.airfieldops.com

Dave
View Quote

Hooah!
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 9:09:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Not quite! Our body armor prevents us from getting a good stock weld! Here are some pics from my current location.....

www.airfieldops.com

Dave

OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM - OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM - OPERATION ANACONDA - TASK FORCE MES

Our sincere thanks to you and everyone else from my family and I to you and to all those who serve to preserve our freedom.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:02:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok, I found the reason why the soldiers place the buttstock on thier shoulder.  They saw this dude carrying his "BIG GUN" over his shoulder, and learn it from him !!! [heavy]

[img]http://www.airfieldops.com/images/convoy.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 5:23:47 AM EDT
[#14]
That would be me with the SAW, M9 and AT-4.  Next to me is Squadron Leader Whitworth from the RAF.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:19:34 AM EDT
[#15]
so I take it your back in the states?
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:51:20 AM EDT
[#16]
No, I'm still here in Iraq.  I should be rotating back to Tucson in mid-August.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:17:59 AM EDT
[#17]
How is it that your unit is still stuck with the M16's and not the M16A2's or at least a M16A1?
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 10:46:27 AM EDT
[#18]
The rifle I have here is so old that it doesn't even have the mag release button gaurd.  Serial number:054,725  Green M14 sling and 20 rd magazines!  Some kind of shit huh!  You should see the M16A2's that we have with "AUTO" x'ed out with an electric engraver and "BURST" written below it!
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:49:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I read about some guard units that still had    M16A1s in the '91 gulf war. That was how I learned about the two different types of ammo. I'd hoped that had been resolved since. Amazing.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 4:31:43 PM EDT
[#20]
The poor suckers in the USAF have really gotten hosed on their small arms. USAF focuses on bigger and better weapons. (Planes, missles, etc...)

The only unit I have seen that has totally new equipment are the para-rescue boys, all that I have seen have been toting very new M4A2 weapons...
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:03:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

www.airfieldops.com

Dave
View Quote

Lots of cool photos but none that illustrated what was discussed in the thread. Can someone point to some that do? I'm curious about it and don't know if I'm visualizing the right thing or not. Thanks.
View Quote

Here's one I rounded up. USMC SDM.

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/049078.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:12:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Wouldn't having the weapon issued with a telescopic stock address the issue with the use of it with body armor. If the Gov't wouldn't outfit the weapons with the modification would the troops then be allowed to modify their weapons to be more combat effective or is that a no go.  

BTW in the photo with the AT-4 I think the guy in the background might want to choose a better standing spot, if that AT-4 were to be fired, he'd probably be slightly pissed and crispy.[pissed]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 11:09:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top