Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/20/2002 4:15:41 PM EDT
Earlier this evening on CNN, "firearms expert" Sgt. Maj. Eric Haney labeled the ammunition used in the Washington, D.C. area sniper attacks as "lead tip" rounds, which have been both expanding and fragmenting. He didn't specify anything further as to manufacturer or bullet weight...although one can assume it is 55 gr SP as this is by far the most common softpoint load for the .223 cal. There are also Hornady 60 gr and Winchester 64 gr SP's. Whatever type is being used, it's obvious that it is capable of causing very severe wounds. I hope this idiot is apprehended before he can do any further harm. I just thought some people here might be curious as to what ammo he has been using. Again, this is info from the above person and not me, so please take this info with a grain of salt. While I assume this expert knows what he is talking about, I have seen a few of CNN's experts who weren't exactly experts. However, since this appears to be a military guy of some sort, I am more trusting in the info he provides.
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 4:31:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Sgt. Maj. Haney was a Delta Force trained sniper.  Check out his book "Inside Delta Force".  I would think he should know what he's talking about if he has been given good inside information regarding the case.

Link Posted: 10/20/2002 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it's safe to assume Sgt.Maj. Haney(retired)is a expert in anybody's book. He is a retired U.S. Army Delta Force operator, that certainly qualifies him as probably one of the greatest firearms experts in the world. He even wrote a book about his time in delta: " Inside Delta Force".
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 4:58:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I also think he would not appreiate being called an "idiot" by some internet commando.

oohhhhhh.
daaaaamn!!!!!!

BTW, he was referring to the sniper.
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 5:54:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I think it's safe to assume Sgt.Maj. Haney(retired)is a expert in anybody's book. He is a retired U.S. Army Delta Force operator, that certainly qualifies him as probably one of the greatest firearms experts in the world. He even wrote a book about his time in delta: " Inside Delta Force". He's probably forgotten more than you know about ammunition. I also think he would not appreiate being called an "idiot" by some internet commando.

Hmmm....let me give you a few words of advice. Before trying to perfect your art of flaming someone, perhaps it would be helpful to first learn how to read and comprehend. I never at any point called this Major an idiot. I was refering to the one who is shooting! Why would anyone "apprehend" a former military man for doing tv commentary anyway? Duh!
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 6:43:23 AM EDT
[#5]
It was a simply hilarious convergence of poor paragraph structure and blunt wording.

Nobody needs to get all pissed about this!  Jeez, it was funny.
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 10:00:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 10:14:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Well said, Troy.
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 11:06:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Since when are Soft Points fragmenting?  That is news to me.  Can anyone support this guy's contention?

The news conference by surgeons regarding the latest sniper victim indicated conclusively that the latest bullet was a fragmenting round.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 5:01:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Since when are Soft Points fragmenting?  That is news to me.  Can anyone support this guy's contention?

The news conference by surgeons regarding the latest sniper victim indicated conclusively that the latest bullet was a fragmenting round.  

ThunderStick,

Your assumption that soft points don't fragment is generally a correct one. But with the .223 and a few other calibers (such as the 22-250), the velocity is so high and the bullet is so light that they fragment anyway sometimes. Of course farther downrange, these bullets would likely lose enough velocity to start doing what SP's are designed to do.......controlled expansion.
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 9:36:41 PM EDT
[#10]
The description of the wounds suffered by both the man shot this weekend and by the 13 year old boy given to the media by their surgeons sounds exactly like what .224in. FMJ or match BTHP bullets both do within their range.

The description of the woman shot in Fredricksburg VA, who was released from the hospital in only 3-4 days and whos bullet was actually recovered from the door of her minivan, sounds exactly like what .224in FMJ bullets do when they are fired from outside their effective range.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#11]
No matter what the ammo or bullet being used; it's hitting the target in a vital area that is killing these people.  Almost all hit in chest or head have died.  

$.02

(Ican'ttype)

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top