User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/24/2004 8:03:54 AM EDT
Equipment required

PVS 14 / 6015

3X lens attachement for PVS 14 / 6015

Aimpoint

OK what I would like to know is this. What happens if you mount the 3X lens on a PVS 14 and then mount it up behind your aimpoint?

I would do this except I lack the damn 3X lens.

Inquiring minds (ok really just me) want to know

IPSC_GUY (wrapped around the night vision axle) sends

P.S. and if who ever out there, can pull this off, some pics that would be WAY COOL
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:44:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:07:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Resolution goes down? Hummmmm IS the afocal lens not that good?

Well it was a good Idea anyway, Thanks

IPSC_GUY
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 7:05:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:43:04 AM EDT
[#4]
WES,

I'm not sure I follow you on this one... The FOV and aiming dot arguments I agree with, but the "resolution factor" you describe makes sense in the case of mounting the NV in front of a magnified optic, i.e. as in the case of mounting the PVS-14 forward of an ACOG. However, it is my understanding that resolution is dependent on the MCP/phosphor plate assembly, which is only magnified by the (10x) eyepiece. The 3x Afocal only gathers light into the objective and subsequently the front of the intensifier... I know there is some light gathering loss when using the 3x, but I've never heard of loss of resolution. Can you clarify?

Clint
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:41:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Wes
Would it be possible to hit you up for a picture through the PVS 14 / aimpoint with and with out the 3X lens?

IPSC_GUY
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:38:51 PM EDT
[#7]
i have that set up also, my 3x lens is not a mil spec one but i will try it out anyway and see what happens.

i'll be back,,,,,
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 8:01:17 PM EDT
[#8]
ok, i put the 3x lens on me pvs14, the lens is not a military one so the optics are less than optimal. the image was so poor it wasn't even worthy of a picture. the field of view was worse than any deticated night vision rifle scope and there was a loss of resolution and light gain that made it seem like gen2 equiptment.

out to 100 yards, shots are posible with the pvs14 1x lens behind the aimpoint. beyond that its time to pony up for a raptor, pvs4 gen3 or something,,,
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top