Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2008 2:27:37 PM EDT
Just finished my AR off (Mega lower receiver) with a Sabre Defence 16" stainless steel, fluted barrel 1.8 twist.  Came with an upper receiver (not sure who makes it...SB or RRA) and came with a RRA bolt group.  Has Troy 10" free floated handguards on it.  Bought it from PK Firearms (great guys by the way).  Needed some advice on a break in procedure for this rifle and maybe some recommended ammunition for this.  I will be using this as a target/ varmint gun and then plinking as well.  AS far as ammo goes I want to start out with accurate/consistent groups on paper just to see how it performs.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Oh and haven't chosen an optic yet , but let's say i'll have a high quality 3-9X40 on it for targets.  Thanks all.

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v286/118/71/6415831/n6415831_35457472_3762.jpg
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:55:03 PM EDT
[#1]
a lot of people do not believe in break in.  I do based on my knife experience and study.

For break in use prvi, black hills Win etc. Fire a round clean the barrel, at a minimum a couple passes with a bore snake.  Do this up to 20 rounds. then after every few up to 50 rounds.   I suggest spending some time on the cleaning forum to learn the ultra safe ways to clean a barrel.  You don't want to be abusing it every time you clean.

i have done break in twice, one seemed great from the start with no change, the other obviously did improve.  You really can't tell at first because you are sighting it in, if you want to know if it mattered get it on the paper with the first couple then shoot groups as you proceed with the breakin.

chrome lined barrels do not require break in but you obviously have a stainless.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top