Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/1/2011 2:15:34 PM EDT
I'm thinking of putting one of these on my 14.5" LW build. If any of you have one how do you like it?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:10:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I had/have one and like it.  It does well as a comp and flash hider.  Now the best at either but a good happy medium.  Its kind aloud, but again I have been around and own worse.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:15:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:52:07 PM EDT
[#3]
have one on my 14.5 and love it.  louder yes, obnoxiously loud no.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:17:33 PM EDT
[#4]
loud but lemme tell you, it makes recoil its bitch follow up shots are really easy to make, people say its loud, its not that bad if your the one that is shooting it, its the concussion out of the sides that makes it seem so loud
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I like mine
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:35:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Very loud. Loud enough that it killed a bee that was about three feet away from the rifle when some SS109 was touched off. The concision blast killed him dead. Ended up sticking with a Vortex. If you had to touch off a round in an enclosed area with that brake on, you'd have a trickle of blood running out of your ear.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:53:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one, I like it.

it's not that loud for the shooter but if someone is standing near you it's loud... but then again so is any effective brake.  It's not as loud as a miculek comp.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:04:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
loud

+1. I wasn't gonna post anything, because people seem to tell me there not loud on here But they are. I've shot one w/o earplugs along with a BCE, and it is much louder then the BCE. It makes you feel like your ears are bleeding after the 1st round. Needless to say, I haven't forgotten earplugs since
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:09:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I tried one and it had zero muzzle rise and the blast wasn't to bad. I was going to buy one, but everyone told me the battle comp was th bees knees....

I have regretted buying the BC every since. It may not have the blast, but it doesn't work nearly as well as the PWS at compensating and negating recoil.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:28:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I tried one and it had zero muzzle rise and the blast wasn't to bad. I was going to buy one, but everyone told me the battle comp was th bees knees....

I have regretted buying the BC every since. It may not have the blast, but it doesn't work nearly as well as the PWS at compensating and negating recoil.

this is good info. Thank you. Any thoughts on how it compares to the Spikes Dynacomp?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:35:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Decent blend, looks great, loud but not crazy and it's not quite as distracting to be next to as a miculek.

If you want premium accuracy from the build, try something else, if maximum precision is not a priority but recoil control is, go for it. I'm pretty happy with how it keeps the muzzle steady under repeated shots. I'm honestly not sure it's any better than the much cheaper YHM Aggressive End comp, my buddy has one on his rifle and we honestly can't tell the difference in noise, recoil or blast, but we agree that mine wins on style.

The accuracy thing is because it's one of the comps known to effect accuracy. I'm not sure if anyone's done a real scientific test, but I've heard it from a number of folks using them and not using them, and I get that feeling on my own. I just can't take mine off easily to test it due to CT laws.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 9:51:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I really like mine.  I haven't noticed a difference in noise between it and an A2 when behind the trigger, but I've never done any kind of formal comparison.  Don't know what the noise/blast is like from the side thought, although I've yet to have anyone complain at the range who's shooting next to me
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 11:37:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Love mine. Only disadvantage I have encountered is the limited selection of cans you can put on it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 3:49:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:46:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I have them on a 14.5 and a 16. They work well at controlling muzzle flip. They are a bit loud but not as bad as most competition brakes or Miculek.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:32:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Decent blend, looks great, loud but not crazy and it's not quite as distracting to be next to as a miculek.

If you want premium accuracy from the build, try something else, if maximum precision is not a priority but recoil control is, go for it. I'm pretty happy with how it keeps the muzzle steady under repeated shots. I'm honestly not sure it's any better than the much cheaper YHM Aggressive End comp, my buddy has one on his rifle and we honestly can't tell the difference in noise, recoil or blast, but we agree that mine wins on style.

The accuracy thing is because it's one of the comps known to effect accuracy. I'm not sure if anyone's done a real scientific test, but I've heard it from a number of folks using them and not using them, and I get that feeling on my own. I just can't take mine off easily to test it due to CT laws.

ive put probably 2000 rounds through mine now.....cant say I've really noticed any accuracy decline changing breaks. I didnt know a comp made a gun more accurate Now a break that aids in follow up shots and recoil. Yes that helps you BECOME more accurate but I dont think its the break that adds or takes away from accuracy. I seem to recall reading somewhere that it has more to do with the round, the rifling, and the shooter but i could be wrong
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:05:40 AM EDT
[#17]
In the past few months I have a fair amount of experience shooting my own PWS556 equipped 16" midlength back to back with my brothers BC equipped 16" midlength. We both agree that the PWS is more effective at reducing muzzle rise and improving the accuracy of follow-up shots. The difference is slight but noticeable.  The PWS doesn't necessarily seem louder, but the recoil blast definitely has more pressure or concussion to it if you are standing to the immediate left or right of the shooter, especially indoors.  The difference is hard to describe but ultimately I think most people are overstating it. Honestly you can't go wrong with either one so just pick the one that looks better to you.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:26:56 AM EDT
[#18]
As an owner of one of these, I'm curious as to how it affects accuracy as well.. If anyone has any proof of that.
I haven't been able to get any smaller than around 1 1/2 MOA if I'm lucky, but usually more like 2- 2 1/2 five shot groups(I know, should try 10!!) at 100 yds with Black Hills red box 77 gr. out of a White Oak 1 in 7 twist 14.5 in. stainless barrel.
Don't know if that's bad or just average..
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:36:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
loud

Put mildly aint it?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 2:32:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
As an owner of one of these, I'm curious as to how it affects accuracy as well.. If anyone has any proof of that.
I haven't been able to get any smaller than around 1 1/2 MOA if I'm lucky, but usually more like 2- 2 1/2 five shot groups(I know, should try 10!!) at 100 yds with Black Hills red box 77 gr. out of a White Oak 1 in 7 twist 14.5 in. stainless barrel.

you probably want to look further into that, i shoot a PWS556 comp and its pinned on my 14.5 BCM middy barrel (chrome lined, not SS) and I can do 2 in group with that 7$ a box black American Eagle stuff. You should be getting better patterns.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 3:41:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

you probably want to look further into that, i shoot a PWS556 comp and its pinned on my 14.5 BCM middy barrel (chrome lined, not SS) and I can do 2 in group with that 7$ a box black American Eagle stuff. You should be getting better patterns.

He is shooting decent groups at 100yds for an AR. I dont know what all he has for a platform. You must be shooting at no more than 50yds.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 3:42:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
loud but lemme tell you, it makes recoil its bitch follow up shots are really easy to make, people say its loud, its not that bad if your the one that is shooting it, its the concussion out of the sides that makes it seem so loud

I agree completely. I own 2; One pinned on my 14.5" LMT, the other on a 16" SS middy. I absolutely love it on my 14.5"!

Quoted:
this is good info. Thank you. Any thoughts on how it compares to the Spikes Dynacomp?

Yup
Dynacomp & FSC556 comparison

SickMAK90, just saw your comment on my video... I have shot a BC but do not own one and only fired about 10-15rds through it. It was a while ago so unfortunately I can't tell you how the recoil compares to the PWS. I just noticed that the BC had less blast than my PWS. The PWS definitely handles recoil very well but the BC appears to handle it well also. I've read others who have shot both say that the PWS is more effective with noise being the trade off. I shoot with a few guys who use the 1.0 and 1.5 and they love them. I get some guys who think the blast is better on the Dynacomp than the BC, yet others say it's worse.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 3:54:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm thinking of putting one of these on my 14.5" LW build. If any of you have one how do you like it?

With all the Ar's you have put on that BLUE couch, you mean to tell us you dont have one?  No f'reak'n way
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

With all the Ar's you have put on that BLUE couch, you mean to tell us you dont have one?  No f'reak'n way

Now I will, BCM upper being shipped to ADCO to install one.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:46:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now I will, BCM upper being shipped to ADCO to install one.

I'm sure you'll be happy when all is said and done. I have one on my 12.5" Noveske and one that came standard on my SCAR 16S. Compared to my BattleComp, KAC TTB, and AAC Brake equipped rifles, they all perform similarly enough in some form or fashion..Obviously, this is JMHO..
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:03:11 PM EDT
[#26]
i love them, i'm currently running 6, 2 on 14.5 middy rifles. i think they are great, the fudds at the rabge love them too
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:26:08 PM EDT
[#27]
I shot IDPA today and got to experience the PWS and BC's on a few different rifles. A guy was running a 12.5'' with a FSC556 and when he went urban prone to shoot under a car it rattled your brain from 15 feet away. A local swat member was running a 11.5'' with a BC 2.0 and it was loud under the car, but not like the PWS. However, it did blow a tremendous amount of dirt and crap up. It actually dug a little trench where he was shooting. I also shot a PWS on a 16'' upper and the blast is worse than my BC 1.0, but it is manageable. PWS on a short barrel

I got to run a magazine through the 11.5'' Bushmaster full auto...good stuff. He had a Troy drop in, tango down VG and M3/LT150 combo...pretty heavy little bastard with the HBAR. It was pretty controllable on full auto with the BC 2.0.

I managed to accidentally shoot the drivers side mirror out of the car lol. I still hit the 0 section of the target even after passing through mirror and part of the plastic mirror assembly.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I had the PWS and then replaced it with a BC.  For me, I much prefer the BC which seems to work better on a midlength lightweigt carbine using a heavy buffer.

From trying different brakes and then from reading other peoples experience, it seems like percieved recoil is different for everybody.  Without any scienctific testing, it is hard to judge which is the better brake, but they do both work quite well.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had the PWS and then replaced it with a BC.  For me, I much prefer the BC which seems to work better on a midlength lightweigt carbine using a heavy buffer.

From trying different brakes and then from reading other peoples experience, it seems like percieved recoil is different for everybody. Without any scienctific testing, it is hard to judge which is the better brake, but they do both work quite well.

I'm surprised no one has developed a sled with a force meter on the rear to actually measure recoil with different devices. There are plenty of engineers on the board but you'd think some of the manufacturers would want to gather this data for R&D and marketing.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top