Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/10/2005 4:34:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2005 4:35:52 PM EDT by skylark]
I've got a friend with a Car-15 barral with about 4,000 rounds. It's a Colt that's chrome lined. My friend claims he has used it occasionally for automatic fire so he's letting it go for a fairly reasonable price. He says there is very little erosion that he can measure with a go-no go guage. Can you guys say how many rounds of life that barrel has got left in it? If it helps, the barrel is 16 inches long with the 1 X 7 twist.

While I'm on this thread, what is the usual life span of a brand new barrel like this one that has only seen carefull semiautomatic fire? For example no full auto dumps and cleaning the rifle after every shooting experience.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:08:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2005 5:09:56 PM EDT by mongo001]
Go-NoGo measures headspace wear, which is minor as compared to throat wear. That's where most barrels get "shot out". Accuracy drops due to throat erosion. Without a throat erosion gage and a measurement on the barrel as new, it's hard to gauge throat erosion. I know what a new throat looks like and I know what a shot out throat looks like, so I can visually check this to my satisfaction without a gauge.

Having rambled on and on about that, 4K is not very high, even with some full auto, so if that is accurate, I'd likely have no problem with the barrel. If it were me, I'd look anyway, but I think you don't have too much to worry about.

Adding a well cared for chrome lined barrel can go 20K+ for barrel life before its accuracy drops to unacceptable levels. I wouldn't expect 1MOA or even 2MOA from an extremely high round count barrel, but even 2MOA is MODead in the proper application.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:46:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2005 8:50:29 PM EDT by johndoexu]
Somewhere there was a thread with CHROME MOLY barrels being used till destruction. 20K+ rounds (either bursts, or full auto mind you) till destruction, and IIRC these were not exactly taken care of.

For a chrome lined, new, cleaned regularly barrel, your looking at 30,000-50,000 (Keep in mind 50K rounds of XM193 or Q3131A is close to $10,000) rounds till complete destruction, maybe alot more. But, like mongo said, don't expect MOA accuracy.

Heres the link for the barrel destruction.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:13:00 PM EDT
Thanks, that puts my mind at ease. The guy wants 100 bucks for the stripped barrel. I was thinking of dending it to Adco to get some profiling done then I'm putting it on my A4 upper. Oh BTW, he did say the barrel will do about 1.4" groups at 100 yards with Blackhills. I think my Bravo Company gear does under an inch with the same ammo.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:47:30 AM EDT
Hmm. . . 100 bucks, plus shipping to and from Adco, plus cost of contouring- say 80 bucks;

Now you have a 200 dollar barrel with a less-than-certain past, and a hard-to-predict future.

I'd look around.
Top Top