Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2005 6:29:02 AM EDT
i did, & it was frustrating as hell, got some nasty looks at the range & even asked to not shoot that rifle till fixed, i cleaned & cleaned the lower, still same prob., finally i took the guts out of the lower....., WoW !! there was a tiny peice of blown primer (from factory ammo) under the sear in the channel of the trigger, removed same & rifle fires one round with each trigger pull !!

amazing how one tiny peice of metal can make things go awry !
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:31:14 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
i did, & it was frustrating as hell, got some nasty looks at the range & even asked to not shoot that rifle till fixed

Can't say I blame them........
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:32:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Primers can make them double or make them not fire at all.  Better learn to transision to a pistol.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:34:17 AM EDT
[#3]
a SIG 226 ??
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:10:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
a SIG 226 ??

Why not?

I like SIGs myself and do trigger work on them.  Here's one of my IDPA CDP guns, my SIG EL220 with my melt job, recontoured home made short trigger and trigger job.  I ended up with a 3.5lb SA pull and a 7.5lb DA pull.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:37:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
a SIG 226 ??

Why not?

I like SIGs myself and do trigger work on them.  Here's one of my IDPA CDP guns, my SIG EL220 with my melt job, recontoured home made short trigger and trigger job.  I ended up with a 3.5lb SA pull and a 7.5lb DA pull.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/320el220.jpg

WoW !! that's a beauty !!

i have the NSW special edition in 9mm, the one with the little anchor on the side.., had to have it as i was former Navy for 25 years, besides $100 went towards the childrens fund who lost their fathers in the war.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:21:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I am having this exact problem with my Ar now and trying to figure out the problem, unfortunatley first thing reccomended to me was to check for primers down there, which there wasn't. The troubleshooting continues....................................
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:02:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Buttplate, welcome to the troubles of blown primers!!!!!

I had a rifle go "run away" on me for the same reason.  Trust me, it's not fun holding onto a rifle as it dumps the 30 round mag all by it's self, and takes years off your life (thank god tide gets stains out, since I spotted myself in all the fun).

P.S. if you think a 223 is a fun ride, try it on a 308.  On that one, I set the trigger/sear too light on a HK-91 that held for about a mag (got me threw a couple of three round only mags, then went buck wild on the second 20 rounder it was feed. Lets just say the my free hand was on top of the barrel pinning it to the bench (and yes, I spotted myself on that one too).
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:53:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I had a rifle go "run away" on me for the same reason.  Trust me, it's not fun holding onto a rifle as it dumps the 30 round mag all by it's self, and takes years off your life (thank god tide gets stains out, since I spotted myself in all the fun).

P.S. if you think a 223 is a fun ride, try it on a 308.  On that one, I set the trigger/sear too light on a HK-91 that held for about a mag (got me threw a couple of three round only mags, then went buck wild on the second 20 rounder it was feed. Lets just say the my free hand was on top of the barrel pinning it to the bench (and yes, I spotted myself on that one too).

I'll bet it did, it would be one thing if you knew it was gonna do that and expecting it!  I would have just more than spotted, luckily mine is just firing a burst and not going full on auto, althought I have been afraid of that everytime I try something new to fix the problem.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:14:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I am having this exact problem with my Ar now and trying to figure out the problem, unfortunatley first thing reccomended to me was to check for primers down there, which there wasn't. The troubleshooting continues....................................

Replace the disconnector spring, if that don't help then replace the disconnector as well.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:24:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I have tried that already, the carrier is not putting the hammer down onto the disconnector while holding the trigger. I did the function check of holding the trigger and pulling charging handle no click and opened it back up and hammer was sitting straight up. Not to mention I also have sent it back bushmaster and they replaced the disconnector also not solving the problem.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:47:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 12:55:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have tried that already, the carrier is not putting the hammer down onto the disconnector while holding the trigger. I did the function check of holding the trigger and pulling charging handle no click and opened it back up and hammer was sitting straight up. Not to mention I also have sent it back bushmaster and they replaced the disconnector also not solving the problem.

Then you may need a new hammer as well.  

Which style of carrier are you using? L-R = Bushy AR15, RRA enhanced, Colt M16

I find that if you have a 'enhanced' type or M16 carrier you should have a un-notched hammer, basically a M16 hammer with the auto sear hook bobbed off but without the notch at the front of the hammer.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:51:24 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

reminder to self:

do not sip coffee when reading posts
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 8:52:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/carriers.jpg

I find that if you have a 'enhanced' type or M16 carrier you should have a un-notched hammer, basically a M16 hammer with the auto sear hook bobbed off but without the notch at the front of the hammer.
www.ar15.com/content/legal/ar15-m16parts/hammer.gif

Mine appears to be the center carrier, and its an Ar15 hammer it came with the rifle. My carrier definitley does not have that not notch where the firing pin is at it is solid.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 10:28:27 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/carriers.jpg

www.ar15.com/content/legal/ar15-m16parts/hammer.gif

Mine appears to be the center carrier, and its an Ar15 hammer it came with the rifle. My carrier definitley does not have that not notch where the firing pin is at it is solid.

Are both legs of the hammer spring on top of the trigger pin?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 11:39:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Yeah
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 12:27:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Yeah

Then if you've replaced the disconnector and spring, you probably need a hammer as well.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I am just gonna buy an entire new FCG  DPMS has a mil spec kit for 39 bucks  just replace everything. But thanks for the help.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top