Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/9/2018 9:21:38 PM
Posted: 11/10/2018 2:36:05 PM EST
I've never owned a QD mount before so this isn't about those but I could see how the cheaper ones might not return to zero as well as the pricier models. I have owned multiple permanent mounts, both in the past and today, cheap ones and more costly versions. They've all had one thing in common which is they did their job and never gave me any issues. Every time I get a new optic I start looking at mounts and I tend to search more in the costlier model range but I keep asking myself if they're worth the price since my cheaper models seem to do the same quality job. I'd be really interested to hear some first hand failures that people have experienced with cheaper scope mounts.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 2:40:54 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/10/2018 7:18:04 PM EST by doty_soty]
INB4 Jaquefrost knocking my Bobros.

Only bad experience I’ve ever had was with an ARMS, and even that wasn’t related to the QD mech. Mine must have been made from butter, since my screw never actually snugged when screwing down, just started stripping. My Bobros, Larues, GDIs, ADMs, GG&G, and even my other ARMS all worked as advertised.

ETA didn’t read correctly, I’ve never had a non-QD mount not work right. I don’t bang my stuff around too hard or too often either though. I usually prefer Aero mounts for their cost and light weight.

I WOULDNT trust UTG for shit, let alone a scope mount. The mount is a critical part. It doesn’t matter if your rifle is quality, or if your optic is quality, if the part linking the two is dogshit. Spend the extra couple bucks for something like the Aero.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 2:58:52 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/10/2018 2:59:14 PM EST by balane]
Thanks. The reason I was asking in particular is that I was eyeing one of the UTG Accu-Sync 30mm mounts. I didn't think about threads stripping out to be honest. Is that common even if an installer is careful with the torque?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 5:08:29 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/10/2018 5:10:11 PM EST by Tigwelder1971]
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 5:29:41 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:
Cheap mounts (material/machining) and cheap fasteners (inferior material) will burn you.

Stripped threads or broken screws will likely be the largest factor. Followed by non repeatable zeroing or difficulties while trying to zero along with difficulties maintaining that zero.
View Quote
Have you personally experienced any of these problems with a lower costing mount? I hear this often but I've run around a half dozen ~$50 mounts over the years, none of them treated nicely, and exactly zero of these issues ever occurred for me with any of them. I've not had any problems crop up with $100-$250 mounts either. I'm aware of the typical warnings over the cheap ones but has anybody actually suffered any of them on their own guns? Right now I'm having a hard time justifying the expense of the nicer mounts unless I'm getting a QD model.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 8:44:57 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:42:54 PM EST
Not mine personally, but I have seen a broken Aero mount, the super lightweight one.

Rifle went into the dump barrel and the optic took a bump on the way in.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:54:35 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:00:06 PM EST
I just bought a vortex strime eagle and got one of their cheap mounts for free in the package deal from Spoet Optics. Even it has helicoils for the screws in the base, and i had no issue torquing the rings to 15 in-lb. If you want a dirt cheap mount, thats as low as i would sink, and even then just for a hobby gun.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:13:22 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/10/2018 10:21:17 PM EST by balane]
Originally Posted By JohnDough:
I just bought a vortex strime eagle and got one of their cheap mounts for free in the package deal from Spoet Optics. Even it has helicoils for the screws in the base, and i had no issue torquing the rings to 15 in-lb. If you want a dirt cheap mount, thats as low as i would sink, and even then just for a hobby gun.
View Quote
This was a Vortex brand mount? Was it their $130 MSRP cantilever mount? I have one of those right now, it's been fine so far.

Edit: This one? http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/cantilever-ring-mount-for-30mm-riflescope-tube-2-inch-offset
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:26:34 PM EST
Originally Posted By balane:

This was a Vortex brand mount? Was it their $130 MSRP cantilever mount? I have one of those right now, it's been fine so far.

Edit: This one? http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/cantilever-ring-mount-for-30mm-riflescope-tube-2-inch-offset
View Quote
That looks like the one as best i can tell. Paid $260 for that and a strike eagle 1-6. I was happy.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:26:50 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:30:50 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/10/2018 10:32:41 PM EST by balane]
Originally Posted By Tigwelder1971:

That mount in your link is $89 on Amazon.
View Quote
Oh yeah, I can't imagine those selling for MSRP, it was just a point of reference. The one I have came with a scope I purchased from the EE. I used it but haven't shot that rifle much, about 400 or so rounds. No problems yet.

So the value of high end mounts is in the consistency and precision of machining?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:32:05 PM EST
Had a helicoil back out on a vortex cantilever mount buuut it was probably my fault.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:43:54 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 7:49:05 PM EST
I've had two of the light aeros break. Both snapped off where the ring halves join in that joint. I use a torque wrench on everything I own and I got a few inlbs away from the torque specs on them and they snapped. (Tq wrench gets calibrated every 6 months) Also the threads weren't sounding good as I was tightning them either. I called aero and they shipped me new ones no questions asked immediately. They are still in the box and I plan on using them on something low recoil eventually. I've always used bobro, larue, or giesseille. I just bought a warne mount though and have been very happy with it on a 450bm build.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 8:10:46 PM EST
Originally Posted By doty_soty:
INB4 Jaquefrost knocking my Bobros.
View Quote
I would, but the thread is about fixed mounts

So I'll knock Aero - I've seen the pics of the broken/snapped ring SPR mount. It doesn't seem to be a common problem though.

I think I had a UTG mount that stripped a bolt. That seems to be the biggest issue on cheap mounts. Soft metal that strips out easily. I don't have much experience with them though. I like NF Unimounts and G mounts.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 8:12:32 PM EST
Originally Posted By balane:

View Quote
I've got one of those. Not a ton of use. Seems to be fine.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:16:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/12/2018 10:20:24 AM EST by cttb]
The rings that came with a package bolt gun didn't hold the scope consistently. One group would be fine, the next group would double in size with the center moved about 2" from the previous group at 100 yards. There was not any perceptible wiggle. Replacing the mount completely solved the problem. You will probably burn up a lot of ammo trouble shooting your first mount failure.

I suspected a lightweight Aero mount I had was not perfect either. I switched mounts and scopes at the same time and shaved about 1/2 moa off group size. There's no way to say which was at fault.

I only buy DNZ mounts now. They're the lowest price mount that I fully trust that isn't heavy. If you're picky about precision, buying top-quality scope mounts will eventually save you money on troubleshooting ammo and the low-quality mounts you replace. If you're chasing small groups or trying to hit small targets far away, all parts of your optics system really do matter. If 2moa+ is good enough for you or you don't track a rifle's performance over time, you might not even notice a mild defect in a mount or scope.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:30:23 AM EST
Originally Posted By cttb:
The rings that came with a package bolt gun didn't hold the scope consistently. One group would be fine, the next group would double in size with the center moved about 2" from the previous group at 100 yards. There was not any perceptible wiggle. Replacing the mount completely solved the problem. You will probably burn up a lot of ammo trouble shooting your first mount failure.

I suspected a lightweight Aero mount I had was not perfect either. I switched mounts and scopes at the same time and shaved about 1/2 moa off group size. There's no way to say which was at fault.

I only buy DNZ mounts now. They're the lowest price mount that I fully trust that isn't heavy. If you're picky about precision, buying top-quality scope mounts will eventually save you money on troubleshooting ammo and the low-quality mounts you replace. If you're chasing small groups or trying to hit small targets far away, all parts of your optics system really do matter. If 2moa+ is good enough for you or you don't track a rifle's performance over time, you might not even notice a mild defect in a mount or scope.
View Quote
Warne is about as cheap as I'll use these days. My range time is to valuable to blow a trip on a bad mount. That's a couple hundred dollars in time lost, plus ammo.
Top Top