Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/23/2004 7:29:45 PM EDT
I was browsing through the lates Shotgun news and ran across an ad for EA arms. I thought they went out of business? New company?
Well, they are selling stripped lowers for 67.00 ea. doesnt say forged or cast.
Does anyone have one of there lowers, are they quality?
I frigured Id buy a couple for when the AWB ends.
Just what I need more projects
Thanks
Z
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:37:54 PM EDT
[#1]
essential arms, left and right. Couldn't help it
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:16:12 AM EDT
[#2]
the new Essential Arms is run buy the same guy who ran it before.

fortunately for me, that means that EA will replace my broken lower for free after the AWb sunsets!

i'm prety sure the new lowers are still cast, just like my old, broken lower.

did i mention i broke my EA lower?

can you read between the lines?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:45:24 AM EDT
[#3]
EA makes decent lowers. Personally I have two. Both at just fine for my needs. The lowers are investment cast. Which is a process that is used to make gun parts more than you might think. My understanding is that these parts are slightly weeker than say a forged part, however as long as you aren't planning on taking on the world or altleast a small army with you AR. Basically if you take care of the gun...don't drop it to concrete or try using the gun as a hammer you will be fine. Not to forget...they want something like 60 bucks for a lower....you get what you pay for....if you are really worried spend the extra forty bucks and get a forged lower for another manufacturer...IMHO
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:24:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Talked to Bob Johnson on the phone three weeks ago.

He has the lowers in the old gray color, appx same color as the dry moly on USGI mags, which was the original M16 color.  He can put a finish (Norrell's, Gunkote, whatever?) to match black uppers, but there are no gray uppers available to match the gray lowers.  Did not ask him what the cost of coating them black.

Their lowers are investment cast, by Ruger's casting division.  Forged lowers in the future.  Also steel.

Essential Arms Co.
P.O.Box 121
Krotz Springs, La. 70750

tel. 337-945-0185
fax. 337-566-0068

I used to own an Essential Arms lower, and it was well made, and functioned well.  I have seen a number of EA lowers on LEO rifles, and have never seen a malfunction due to the lower.  Due to the extremely low price, these lowers attracted many bottom dollar builders, and underpaid LEO's on budgets. Many bought M16 kits of used/abused parts that used to be available for $250 or so, and slapped it all on an EA lower.  So, some of the EA rifles you see are pretty rough looking, and might have problems, due to the parts, not the lower.  You could just as easily find a nice AR15 built on an EA lower.

There is no such thing as a factory built Essential Arms rifle.  All EA's are parts guns.

They work and work well, all critical dimensions are correct.  I would not hesitate to buy another.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:19:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Fixer,
What were the circumstances invloved with your break? Extended fire, dropped, run over with truck?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:02:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I just got off the phone with them and they said that they make their lowers with about .020" extra in the side wall on each side for extra strength. They said that they will be offering a forged around the first of the year for a price fairly close to the $67.

Usually one gets what they pay for but it could be that they are just trying to get some extra attention and coverage being as they are reopening for business.

I think I'll be trying a couple.

William
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:47:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
essential arms, left and right. Couldn't help it

Don't feel bad, I was thinking the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:50:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a mid-80's J-15 cast lower by Essential Arms;  assembled w/ all early GI parts, incl.  slab side pencil barrel, prong FH upper. It has about 5,000 rds. of LC 71 thru it w/o any problem, or sign of wear. Lower has an unfinished look to it!  I have anti-walk pins in it, but they've been there so long, I can't remember why!  I think they were the "new, cool thing" when it was originally assembled.  Its never been thoroughly cleaned, and never had a single malfunction (ever,honest).  Lots of LSA, and 19rd, metal follower, mags.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#9]
would their lower match an m16a1 upper receiver? I bought an A1 parts kit and built it on a black teflon lower and it looks dumb
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:45:21 PM EDT
[#10]
You have the old gray color upper?  If so, it will probablymatch.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:41:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:24:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I have never had a problem with my preban either, If they are coming out with a forged model, I would like to have one of those also, does anyone know if they have a website up yet, I did a google and didnt come up with anything, thanks
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:45:22 PM EDT
[#13]
No website, and it is basically a one man operation now.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top