Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/15/2006 6:04:39 PM EDT

Hello all,

I'm looking for a red dot type sight for my Dissipator. I have the A2 receiver ( with carry handle, of course ).
Anway, I think I have it narrowed down to either the Reflex sight from Trijicon, or one of the EOTech models. First question, any advice on which to go with? Also, if I go with EOTech, what's the difference
between the various models, besides taking AA or N batteries?

Next set of questions. Who makes a good carry handle mount for one of the above? Some mounts claim
to be 'see thru', but I've heard that the mounting screw interferes with the sight picture. Are there any
that are truly 'see thru'?

I'm looking for something to aid in shots from 15-200 meters. Preferably something that will work in low
light or night conditions as well as bright daylight. I want to be able to use my iron sights if I choose.
In fact, I'm thinking the red dot will be used for snap shots, while the iron sights will be used for precision shots ( I have a KNS crosshair front sight ). It is not necessary for the sights to co-witness, but that
might be nice.

Thanks.

Sam
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:12:59 PM EDT
[#1]
No opinions? C'mon guys, don't let me down.

It looks like the Reflex comes with no mounting hardware whatsoever. I see a base from A.R.M.S. that
fits it. Is this the only way to mount it? I'd hate to shell out $350 for the Reflex, then $120 for a base,
then another $60 for a carry handle mount. Or am I wrong and the Reflex does come with some sort
of mounting hardware?

BTW, has the online store been sorted out? I'd like to renew my membership, but I haven't had any
luck, yet. I'm not in a position to send a check... ( I'm working off the coast of Mexico ).

Thanks.

Sam
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:44:37 PM EDT
[#2]
All right, I'll give you an opinion.  Get a trijicon Reflex so you can mount it forward over the handguards.  I wouldn't mount an Eotech on top of a carry handle.  You can always mount one on a gooseneck mount.  Eotechs aren't bad on gooseneck mounts.  

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:08:01 PM EDT
[#3]
EOTech (with the AA batteries).

I've owned both, sold the Reflex and bought a 2nd EOTech for my backup carbine.

While being heavier, the EOTech's reticule is brighter and the display is larger.  The EOTech can also function with a broken display, and you cannot block reticule (get some mud/snow into the emitter port of the Reflex and you don't get a display).

Best of all with the EOTech I can use my irons through the display w/o a problem.  With the curved lens of the Reflex I found my irons shot do a different point of aim if I was looking through the Reflex's display (compared to shooting w/o the Reflex attached).  At CQB distances I wouldn't worry about it but at 50 yards it was significant enough (5").
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:48:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Alright, I was starting to lean towards the EOTech myself. I'm not sure about the gooseneck mount,
yet. I guess the EOTech sits too high to go above the carry handle? How sturdy are those mounts?
Most of the ones I've seen are pretty expensive. Anybody care to recommend a manufacturer?

Also, what about the various models of EOTech? I don't care about NV compatibility, so I'm thinking of
going with the cheapest one that I can find that takes either AA or CR123... Where's a good place to
pick up an EOTech for a reasonable price? I've looked at Midway and riflescopes.com so far.

Thanks again.

Sam
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:56:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
. Anybody care to recommend a manufacturer?

PRI or Bernie Coolie are the only ones to consider for the EOTech.

Another option is to get a FF forearm like the Troy and mount the sight on that (just be sure to get one that has the top rail the same height as a flattop).

Also, what about the various models of EOTech? I don't care about NV compatibility, so I'm thinking of
going with the cheapest one that I can find that takes either AA or CR123...

The CR123 model will be NVG and be the most expensive model when (and if) it's released to the general public.

The EOTech 512 uses AA batteries and has the protective bar - no NVG mode.  It will cost in the $300 range.

Where's a good place to
pick up an EOTech for a reasonable price?

www.CLTactical.com
www.GandRTactical.com
www.SWFA.com

I've bought optics from all of the above and gotten good prices and service.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:57:19 PM EDT
[#6]
look for the guys who were in the little Aimpoint Group Buy last October.  The CompMs came with an Aimpoint gooseneck mount but I sold mine last week!  $50 and it's now Bryan Ruckle's.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:55:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought an Eotech (512 I think, takes 2 aa batts) and mounted it on top of my a2 carry handle.  It works good for me but maybe I just don't know any better!  I would like to try a raised cheekpiece on my a2 stock but can't bring myself to pay $50.00 for a plastic part that should cost a whole lot less.  
 After using the eotech I don't use the iron sights anymore, (but I can if needed) the improvement at all distances was amazing.  I was sceptical at first but now I believe!  I can quickly dial down the reticle to a tiny dot for longer ranges.
 When carrying it by the carry handle, only my thumb is in the handle (at the front) and my fingers are all under the handguard so the eotech doesn't interfere with carrying.  Whew, did that make any sense?
HTH,
JonB
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:50:21 AM EDT
[#8]
meprolight's 21i reflex is better than trijicons and it mounts on a pictianny rail
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:18:42 AM EDT
[#9]
it made sense to me jonb.  Running with an Eotech on top of your carry handle is always gonna be a little tough.  If you use the Eotech at any brightness where the dot gets smaller when you turn it down, you are using it at too high of a brightness setting.  It should always be 1MOA.  Even though it might be cool to have a bright red ring floating around, it should be fairly dim. I just learned that recently with my Aimpoint.  

I like the Eotech better by the way
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:29:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I currently run a EOTech 512.A65 on my M4 and love it. I purchased mine at Eagle Firearms (Brighton Colorado) online. Customer service was great and he matched the price, which I believe was $290 or $299. I would not run the EOTech on your carry handle because I think it will sit up too high. Consider other options! I currently have mine on a Dominator mount from RRA. It works great and allows the use of back up iron sights for a co-witness. When looking through my EO the sights sit approximately 1/3 the way down and out of the way. I also use a front flip up sight so that my view is completely unobstructed. Hope this helps. Paul
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:27:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Okay, sound like I'm looking for an EOTech 510 AA? Still trying to figure out mounts. I'll take
a look at the Dominator shortly. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks for all the answers so far.

Sam
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:33:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Just looked at the Dominator and I'm confused. What does it mount to? It doesn't look like it has a
weaver or picatinny base. Regardless, it comes with an A2 rear sight. I already have a carry handle?

Sam
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:03:22 PM EDT
[#13]
The dominator is for mounting on flattops.  He didn't tell you that part!

$299 for a 512 is way cheap.  From what I remember, 511s were always 299, 551s and 512s were always 349 and 552s were always 399.  

The models that end in 1's are the "N" battery types and the ones that end in 2's are AA battery models.  If the middle number is a 1, it's non-NV compatible and if the middle one is 5 it IS NV compatible.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top