Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 6:15:16 AM EDT
Has anyone used both and can offer an opinion as to why I should go for the Eo over the Holosight or vice versa?  I want an optic for my AR I carry on patrol for the PD I work for.  I'm not on a tactical team so the optic's ruggedness is not as much of an issue.  I still want the option of two eyes open shooting and the Bushnell provides that.  It's also alot cheaper.   Your thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:37:52 AM EDT
[#1]
one meant for actual mil/leo use

other meant for sporting non-serious work
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:41:09 AM EDT
[#2]
They're both made by EO so the ruggedness and the window size is the only real difference. I think the window is bigger on the actual EOtech.

I have 2 EOtechs, YM will inevitably V.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:42:10 AM EDT
[#3]
For range use get a Holosight but duty use I would get a EOthingy. The protective shroud really helps
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:45:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
They're both made by EO so the ruggedness and the window size is the only real difference. I think the window is bigger on the actual EOtech.

The windows are the same size on my EO and Holo
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:48:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I had one Holosight that quit on me, and Bushnell gave me a hard time but they eventually made it right.  It was mounted to a slug gun, and I suspect dampness from snow affected it.  I have another on my Encore that has held up, but I haven't done much hunting with it either.  It's a little hard for me to trust.  Also, I would be apt to go for the EOtech for the shroud as others have said, because the windage and elevation screws seem too exposed on the Holosight.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:32:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The windows are the same size on my EO and Holo

New style Holosight?

Huh, I could have sworn the window was smaller. I humbly stand corrected.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:13:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I've owned both.  I don't have the Bushnell anymore.  Nothing wrong with the Bushnell, it just isn't as rugged.  If you are going to be on patrol I would definately choose the Eotech, it is much tougher.  If you are talking about a range gun, then it probably doesn't matter.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:42:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Has anyone used both and can offer an opinion as to why I should go for the Eo over the Holosight or vice versa?  I want an optic for my AR I carry on patrol for the PD I work for.  I'm not on a tactical team so the optic's ruggedness is not as much of an issue.  I still want the option of two eyes open shooting and the Bushnell provides that.  It's also alot cheaper.   Your thoughts?

How long you been on the force?

I've NEVER seen a LEO's flashlight, radio, baton, etc. that wasn't beat all the heck from the normal, everyday things that a non-"tactical team" officer does to his/her equipment.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:53:28 AM EDT
[#9]
You will get what you pay for...

For me, the little extra money for the Eotech was worth it over the Bushnell.  You will drop your rifle, bump into it, bang around in the trunk, etc.  Better to have and need not...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:15:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Onslaught  : Interesting.  While some equipment does get banged around, especially the stuff connected to your belt, I don't carelessly abuse my equipment.  My AR stays in it's padded case in the trunk of my car ( we don't have weapon racks in all of our cars) until needed.  I have it in case there ever is one of those SHTF situations where you really need a rifle.  As such, it isn't gettiing banged around doing building entries, warrant services,  lots of training, competitions, etc.  like our ERT does with theirs.  So, ruggedness is not as big of an issue in my situation because mine will be unused except for my personal practice, annual quals, potentially "hot" calls, and God forbid, a really bad day at work.

Show me an officer who's equipment is "beat all to heck" and I'll show you an officer who neglects and abuses his equipment.

But to answer your question, I'm going on my 12th year with my department and 19 years overall including my military police time.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:13:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm pretty sure most people don't abuse their equipment on purpose but it's that accident that makes you say damn I should have gotten that EOtech.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'm pretty sure most people don't abuse their equipment on purpose but it's that accident that makes you say damn I should have gotten that EOtech.

Exactly...

Quoted:
My AR stays in it's padded case in the trunk of my car ( we don't have weapon racks in all of our cars) until needed.  I have it in case there ever is one of those SHTF situations where you really need a rifle.  As such, it isn't gettiing banged around doing building entries, warrant services,  lots of training, competitions, etc.  like our ERT does with theirs.  So, ruggedness is not as big of an issue in my situation because mine will be unused except for my personal practice, annual quals, potentially "hot" calls, and God forbid, a really bad day at work.

Show me an officer who's equipment is "beat all to heck" and I'll show you an officer who neglects and abuses his equipment.

But to answer your question, I'm going on my 12th year with my department and 19 years overall including my military police time.

Yes sir, but a point if I may...

You're on duty, having an average day, and twenty minutes later you're in a high-speed pursuit that ends up going over some of those North Carolina backroads over all the bumps and pot-holes.  The driver of the vehicle is drunk, and he just wants to get home (don't they all).  He knows that last dirt road better than you since he lives on it, so he makes it home ahead of you.  Through the dust, you see him jump out of his vehicle and dash inside the house.  He grabs his SKS that was leaning just inside the front door and starts to unload that 30 round fixed magazine your way.  

So now what has your AR been doing this whole time?  No rack you say?  Loose in a soft case in the trunk of your patrol vehicle being slung around side to side, up and down?  What else is back there that may have been launched into the air and landed hard on that soft case of yours?  What will your Bushnell Holosight look like when you pull it from the trunk?  Sure, you have irons, but then what was the point of even buying the Holosight at all if it wasn't there when you needed it?

Sound like some made-up fantasy scenario to you?  It's not.  That's exactly what happened to an Alabama State Trooper over a year ago (minus the AR in the trunk).  It's why they are now in the process of issuing Bushmasters to their troopers.

I'm not being a , but you came here for advice.  The advice has been given.  The answer is, spend the money or the EOTech, or save your money altogether and just use iron sights.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:55:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
He grabs his SKS that was leaning just inside the front door and starts to unload that 30 round fixed magazine your way.

Point of clarification. An SKS has a 10 round internal magazine, but can be modified to accept "duckbill" AK mags.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:05:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:47:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
He grabs his SKS that was leaning just inside the front door and starts to unload that 30 round fixed magazine your way.

Point of clarification. An SKS has a 10 round internal magazine, but can be modified to accept "duckbill" AK mags.

Point of re-clarification...

There are, and have been for a long time, replacement 30 round magazines that do not require any modifications to the rifle (available at better gun shows and flea markets everywhere).

The only reason I figure it was a "fixed" mag was because the dude was (according to the trooper who told me the story) shoving stripper clips of ammo in it at one point.  Who knows, maybe he only had one mag...
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:21:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How long you been on the force?

I've NEVER seen a LEO's flashlight, radio, baton, etc. that wasn't beat all the heck from the normal, everyday things that a non-"tactical team" officer does to his/her equipment.

Onslaught -Fine.  I should get the Eotech because it is more rugged and will hold up better.  Why not just say that in the first place?  Why make comments like those above that have the underlying message of "who's this idiot"?  I came here for advice, not for verbal attacks by someone who is supposed to share the same interests.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:01:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Uhhh...the appropriate responses started with the VERY FIRST REPLY. You asked for the advice, and wanted to argue when advice was given. If you really don't want an EOTech, no one is twisting your arm...BUY THE BUSHNELL. That is what you wanted to hear right?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:07:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Uhhh...the appropriate responses started with the VERY FIRST REPLY. You asked for the advice, and wanted to argue when advice was given. If you really don't want an EOTech, no one is twisting your arm...BUY THE BUSHNELL. That is what you wanted to hear right? hr

Jackal, I went back and edited my last post.  I am not having an issue with anyone else who posted a response.  The posts were welcome and helpful.  I have issue with another member's comments and that is who I have intended my posts for.    I would RATHER have an Eotech than a Bushnell but I could better afford the Bushnell...
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:14:46 AM EDT
[#19]
I hear ya man, I'm in the same boat...I just decided to watch for one in the EE to try and save another $40 or so. I know if I bought the Bushnell I'd just wonder what I was missing out on, and EOTech has been known to help people out with failed Bushnell sites that Bushnell won't / CAN'T even work on. Their customer service is top notch and that, to me, along with the extreme ruggedness makes it worth it. Compare EOTech to similar options and they don't seem so expensive. When I built my AR I was expecting to have to shell out $400+ for a red dot...well, the EOTech is holo and doesn't require a $100 mount. Combine this with EOTechs other features and you have a site you can't beat for $300 - $350 or so. There are some EOTechs in the EE now for $265 - $270 shipped and they are the "F" revision.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:56:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Sportsman's Guide has been getting some of the EOtech 511s. ("N" battery model)
They are Rev. F, and are $269 delivered if you have the Buyer's Club, and use a coupon for shipping.
I sighted mine in on Tuesday, and I like it a lot.

A new Bushnell is going to be real close to that price.
(Since you are LEO, if you'll send an email to one of the EOtech dealers from the EE, I bet they'll offer you a nice LE discount.)

The EOtech 511 has a battery life of 200 hours.
Last time I checked on a Holosight, the N model had a 60 hour battery life.

The EOtech also has significantly better ratings for shock and waterproofing.
The metal hood will give you an extra measure of protection too.

I'm not a cop, but I feel your pain.
It would have been easier for me to sprout wings than it was to come up with almost $300.

I sold an older AA model 552 for $175 on the EE just a few weeks ago, so deals are out there.
(That's was part of the cash I used for the 511.)

In your line of work, I'd leave the Bushnell on the shelf, and get the good stuff.
The time may come when you'll think "Oh snap! I wish I had bought the EOtech instead of this crappy Bushnell."
But, if you buy the EO, I doubt you'll ever wish you hadn't spent the cash.

I hope this helps, and good luck.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#21]
What is the "F" revision anyway?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:23:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

ver 1.06
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:24:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

It is the latest version, mainly better battery life and updated buttons for the 511/512
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top