Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2006 9:53:30 PM EDT
I want this feature on an Eotech: It has a motion sensor. You move the rifle, the sight comes on, and stays on for1  hour. Every time it sees more motion, it comes on again and stays on for an hour. It would have no on/off switch.

The idea being, you grab the rifle and it is already on. Then you put the rifle into the gun safe or rack, and it will eventually turn off.

Only problem I can think of is that the motion-sensor might use more power than the laser/LED. If that were true, this feature would be no better than just leaving it on -- which would not last long enough.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:44:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Transporting the rifle would cause it to come on. Perhaps a manual shut off for these situations.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:51:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Still need some sort of brightness adjustment.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:44:23 AM EDT
[#3]
A better mount would be nice!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:18:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd like to see an auto-brightness adjustment incorporated.  Something like using camera technology and incorporating a center-weighted  light meter that automatically adjust reticule brightness based on available light at the target area.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:36:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I really don't think a light meter will be able to handle what you have in mind, nor any other sort of gizmo you could manage to fit in there.  The buttons work, no need to screw with them.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:36:33 AM EDT
[#6]
No problem with the buttons working,  it's just that if you have a fixed BUIS or a Aimpont 3X magnifier, access to the buttons can be a bit difficult.  From that aspect it might be better if the controls were side-mounted instead of rear mounted.  

I also agree that in applications where you are using the 3X, you'd probably have a bit more time to access the controls if needed, it's probably more of an issue in CQ stuff where you might be patrolling, going inbetween dark and well-lit places.  

It would be cool if a user could turn it on, set a brigtness level for the environment he "calibrates" it, and then as he goes into areas of different light intensity, the unit automatically adjusts brigtness to keep it at the same relative level.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:29:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I want this feature on an Eotech: It has a motion sensor. You move the rifle, the sight comes on, and stays on for1  hour. Every time it sees more motion, it comes on again and stays on for an hour. It would have no on/off switch.

The idea being, you grab the rifle and it is already on. Then you put the rifle into the gun safe or rack, and it will eventually turn off.

Only problem I can think of is that the motion-sensor might use more power than the laser/LED. If that were true, this feature would be no better than just leaving it on -- which would not last long enough.

First, you can only squeeze so much technology into that housing. It’s a toss up between compactness and features, and I’m sure EOTech’s R&D guys have pondered ALL the options!

I think the increase in batt life eliminates the need for any type of motion sensing activation…..simply leave the sight turned on if immediate use is possible. Turn it off for longer periods of inactivity.

One feature I think would increase sales is a 2 or 3 MOA single dot. A 1MOA single dot might be a bit too small to pick up quickly and a lot of folks consider the current reticle too “busy”….myself included. That's the reason I switched to Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:34:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd like a less fuzzy-looking reticle.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:39:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
....It would be cool if a user could turn it on, set a brigtness level for the environment he "calibrates" it, and then as he goes into areas of different light intensity, the unit automatically adjusts brigtness to keep it at the same relative level.

The problem isn't necessarily the shooters location, in terms of brightness settings, it's the shootees location and/or the level of brightness at his/her location, and the amount oif light being reflected off of him/her....unless one could measure the amount of brightness at his/her location you'd be lacking the most critical brightness setting necessity.....

/S2
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:49:53 AM EDT
[#10]

less fuzzy-looking reticle / more magnification
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:15:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
....It would be cool if a user could turn it on, set a brigtness level for the environment he "calibrates" it, and then as he goes into areas of different light intensity, the unit automatically adjusts brigtness to keep it at the same relative level.

The problem isn't necessarily the shooters location, in terms of brightness settings, it's the shootees location and/or the level of brightness at his/her location, and the amount oif light being reflected off of him/her....unless one could measure the amount of brightness at his/her location you'd be lacking the most critical brightness setting necessity.....

/S2

Physical size is probably the limiting factor, but what I'm talking about is incorportaing camera light meter technology into the unit.  When the user calibrates it, it doesn't matter what the light level at his location, it matters what the reflected light is from the target he uses to initially calibrate it against.  Again, using the camera analogy, if you are standing in a dark alley and trying to take a picture of something that's in a well illuminated setting away from the alley, the exposure needs to be adjusted for the subject, not the available light in the alley.  Reflected light from whatever you use to set the brightness setting initially is what's used to establish the baseline brightness level, and then reticule brigtness would automatically adjust up or down based on the amount of reflected light from the target.  

That's exactly how a reflected light meter works in a camera, the only design issue would be if you went with a center weighted, "averaging" meter or a spot meter.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

One feature I think would increase sales is a 2 or 3 MOA single dot. A 1MOA single dot might be a bit too small to pick up quickly and a lot of folks consider the current reticle too “busy”….myself included. That's the reason I switched to Aimpoint.

It has a 65 MOA dot. How could you not pick that up quickly? The 1 MOA dot is just for precision shooting.

The AIMPOINT has a few issues.

1. It emits light out the front.

2. It has lots of glint off the front lens.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:45:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd hate to see the price of an EO with all these goodies added.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:00:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I think the setup works fine as it is , If I had to make a change
I think it would be switching to a Green or Yellow diode for
Hologram . Red just doesn't contrast enough on too many backgrounds
for me In daylight .
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:55:51 AM EDT
[#15]

more magnification

Thats what the magnifier is for. If you want a sight that has built in magnification, then a red dot sight is not what you want. It would kind of defeat the purpose to have a red dot sight with built in mag.

Anyways, it would be an interesting idea to have some sort of motion sensor as long as there was still manual controls....mainly because I see the biggest problem with the eotech being the buttons themselves. In the dark or under stress you may have trouble pushing the correct button to get the needed brightness. If it had a motion sensor or even just a knob to twist it would eliminate this problem.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 12:45:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
It has a 65 MOA dot. How could you not pick that up quickly? The 1 MOA dot is just for precision shooting.

No shit!      Maybe I wasn’t clear enough, but I’m making reference to the EOTech version with the single 1 MOA dot ONLY. Not the 65 MOA ring / 1 MOA dot style reticle.  

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:40:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I LIKE AS IS!!

well one thing CHEAPER

or better yet I have the 551 I wish they could make it 1 inch smaller so it would be further away from my BUIS
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top