Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2006 8:57:50 PM EDT
I am looking for info on an (older?) Eotech model 554 that I picked up today.  It is a AA batt type with night vision switch and it can start up in medium brightness or lowest brightness.  I searched and found some people talking about a 554 that had 4X magnification but this is not magnified.  I also found info where supposidly the Army used these before going to the 552.  Can anyone confirm this for me?  Anyone know of any problems with this particular model?  Thanks, Wes
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:02:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure they did.  

The Army SF units had EO-techs before the 552 existed and it only stands to reason they had NV compatible models as they were availible at the time.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:58:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone else have anything to add about a 554?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:24:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Why is eotech model 554 older than model 552 and yet 553 is the newest?

Confounding!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:11:44 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am looking for info on an (older?) Eotech model 554 that I picked up today.  It is a AA batt type with night vision switch and it can start up in medium brightness or lowest brightness.  I searched and found some people talking about a 554 that had 4X magnification but this is not magnified.  I also found info where supposidly the Army used these before going to the 552.  Can anyone confirm this for me?  Anyone know of any problems with this particular model?  Thanks, Wes

You have a true 554 if it turns on at a low brightness setting with the DOWN button and on the normal brightness setting with the UP arrow.  This is the only difference between the 552 and the 554.  The 554 was done for a U.S. Army ARDEC contract and were the only ones manufactured in this configuration.  None were released on the commercial market, nor will they be.

The 557 (HMS) is the unit designed to work with the 3.75x.  This is not yet in production.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:59:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I thought the 553 was suppossed to work with the magnifier.  Is the 557 the same as the 553 but with the magnifier attachment?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool, so it sounds like a rare score!  I picked this up from a gun/pawn shop around Fort Bragg, NC and they told me it was the last of a batch of used 554s they had come across.  I was getting worried because there was hardly any info on the net and could not find any other 554s for sale to compare my price to.  Thanks for the info, Wj
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:25:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I thought the 553 was suppossed to work with the magnifier.  Is the 557 the same as the 553 but with the magnifier attachment?

The 557 is the designation given to the prototype of the HMS (Holographic Magnified System), and is based on the 552 and uses AA batteries.

The 553 is the new (not available yet) 1x sight developed for USSOCOM and uses CR123 batteries.  

It is not possible at this time to say anything about the magnifier, or what sights it might work with.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top