Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/10/2006 2:13:39 PM EDT
n00b question, sorry....

So today I brought my brand new EoTech out to the range. I had planned on zeroing the ish in, but the bastard wont! :)

So, I started out at 50 yards, as usual, and was trying to at least punch the paper to get my bearings.

It honestly was shooting proably ~3 feet high, not even close to the target. I stoppped myself, checked everything, leveled the gun and tried again.

Finally got it on the paper. So I could at least see exactly what was going on.

With the dot exactly in the center of the target, it shoots VERY high right. I am talking at least 3 feet. I aimed at the bottom left of the target (Kentucky Windage lol ) and started hitting the black. I measured it out and it is over 2.3 feet up right from where I was aiming.

I checked the manual it it says one click is a 1/4 inch per click and that would be over 12 clicks one single way...that just seems WAY off too me. I reseated the sight to make sure and tested with my irons but those are fine...just the EoTech is going nuts!

I was getting decent 4 inch groupings on the target while i was physically compensating. What do you guys think? Is 12 clicks a lot for adjustment on the EoTech or is this normal? Could I check something that is not in the book? Any tips or tricks?

Thanks!

-SF
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:17:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Go ahead and adjust it as necessary, just stop turning if you feel physical resistance.

From EOTechs web site:

How do I mechanically zero my sight?
The sight has 40 MOA (Minutes Of Angle) of travel in every direction from center. This means a complete range of 80 MOA from extreme left to the extreme right range of adjustment. The same range of adjustment is true for the elevation; so 80 MOA from top to bottom.
Since each click or adjustment of the shaft moves the reticle .5 (or 1/2) an MOA, that means there are 160 clicks from extreme left to extreme right (same for top to bottom).
To rezero the sight, adjust the reticle to one end of the extreme (left or right). You will feel a sudden resistance and a limitation in your ability to move the shaft once you reach the extreme. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO ADJUST THE SHAFT IN THE SAME DIRECTION. This will result in a seizure of the windage or elevation shafts, and cause the sight to be inoperable.
Once at that extreme, turn the shaft in the opposite direction 80 clicks. This will move the reticle 40 MOA back to center. Complete the same process for the elevation (top to bottom) and the sight will be re-zeroed.

www.eotech-inc.com/cust_faq.php

It’s amazing the info you can find on the OEM’s web site!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:39:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I would recommend starting at a closer distance than 50 yards so you can make sure you can get it on paper.

Here's another thing you can try to speed up the process.  

1. Verify the weapon is unloaded.
2. Separate the upper and lower.
3. Put the upper on the bench and look through the barrel and center the target.
4. While keeping the target centered through  the barrel adjust the EOTech reticle so the dot sits on the target.  
5. Put the upper and lower together and fine tune the adjustments until you are hitting your target.
6. Move the target out to 50 yards and dial in IBZ!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:54:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome! I will defineatly do that!

sorry for such a n00b question...I suck :(

First AR :)

-SF
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:07:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I would recommend starting at a closer distance than 50 yards so you can make sure you can get it on paper.

Here another thing you can try to speed up the process.  

1. Verify the weapon is unloaded.
2. Separate the upper and lower.
3. Put the upper on the bench and look through the barrel and center the target.
4. While keeping the target centered through  the barrel adjust the EOTech reticle so the dot sits on the target.  
5. Put the upper and lower together and fine tune the adjustments until you are hitting your target.
6. Move the target out to 50 yards and dial in IBZ!

The original "bore sighting" method.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:34:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I think when I got my 552 out of the box I was shooting about 2 feet high at 25 yards. I was amazed but just cranked the elevation down.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:25:03 AM EDT
[#6]
interesting device that I have found and use frequently is the chamber style laser bore sighter, looks like a empty brass casing, I have amazed people who can not get their sights right(like barely on paper), they will stop by, I `ll drop the laser in the chamber and have them a 25 or 50yd zero in one round, irons or optics,

also works great for NV stuff too,,
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:33:16 AM EDT
[#7]
just line up the dot with your irons if you have em
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:29:13 AM EDT
[#8]
+1 !!

If Irons alreay ZERO then put DOT ON TOP.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top