Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/11/2010 7:37:54 PM EDT
First let me say that I am a right eye dominant, right handed shooter.  

I have a dilema.  I am mounting an EoTech 3x magnifier behind a XPS2.  Initially, I mounted it to flip to the left of the rifle because it seemed easier to manipulate with my support hand.  But someone pointed out that mounting it that way makes the magnifier swing in front of my left eye when I am not using it.  I went to the EoTech website and the instructions say it should swing to the right side for right handed shooters.  Well I tried that and it places the magnifier very close to the ejection port and it the peripheral view of my right (dominant) eye.  I'd hate to pummel my 3x with brass and I'd rather obscure the vision of my non-dominant left eye.  I'm interested in which way most user's mount the magnifier.  

Please participate in the poll and post up if you have any input.

TIA,

D
Link Posted: 12/11/2010 7:47:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I put it flipping to the right so when the rifle is on the sling and the magnifier it is out to the side its not sticking into my body.
Link Posted: 12/11/2010 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I voted even though I don't have one....but it would make sense to take it to the left for a right hand/eye and use the left hand to operate it.....really this is something you will have to practice and play with to get the edge.....I have found that the "norm' is not always what works best for me.....but then again......I'm weird.......
SASS
Link Posted: 12/11/2010 10:30:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I put it flipping to the right so when the rifle is on the sling and the magnifier it is out to the side its not sticking into my body.

I like keeping my 416 close to me.. And since I'm right-handed I keep everything that "sticks" out on the right side..

Link Posted: 12/11/2010 11:28:16 PM EDT
[#4]
considering this is on an ar15 let it flip to the right, its easier to manipulate the charging handle this way
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 1:52:41 PM EDT
[#5]
It's not that close to the ejection port and it's covered in rubber. Plus, if you put on the left it's totally in the way.
Link Posted: 12/12/2010 7:45:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine flips to the left, but I would rather it flip to the right.  

I have it flip left because it gets dinged up from ejecting shells and it sits one notch farther forward on the rail if it flipped to the right

Link Posted: 12/12/2010 8:33:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Mine flips to the left, but I would rather it flip to the right.  

I have it flip left because it gets dinged up from ejecting shells and it sits one notch farther forward on the rail if it flipped to the right

AH-HA!!!!  

What is your rifle config?
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 3:45:32 AM EDT
[#8]
16" Carbine w/ Eotech 516 and Eotech 3x

If it flips to the right, the mount throw levers are on the right and lock forward.  The levers length move the 3x back 1 notch more than if it flips to the left.  There is definitely no room to mount a BUIS this way

If flipped to the left the throw levers lock rearward and the 3x can move adjacent to the 516.  I have not tried it, but looks like some BUIS may fit

I contacted Eotech about the ejection/damage issue and they suggested that it was a problem with the gun

I like the Eotech reticle, and like the flexibility of having maginification, but it is not a perfect solution

Link Posted: 12/13/2010 11:19:39 AM EDT
[#9]
If you flip to the left you can't shoot both eyes open which seems like the whole point of a red dot.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 11:43:33 AM EDT
[#10]
to the right

brass generally dosn't hit it but i take it off if i'm just fucking around at the range using just the dot

my rig

Link Posted: 12/13/2010 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#11]
When I had my EOTech 4X magnifier and VMX3 magnifier, I flipped to the right since going the other way blocked my peripheral vision (right eye dominant).  The magnifier never caught any brass deflection but the lens did get some gas splash back.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 12:56:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks like the "rights" have it.  I'll refrain from switching it back to the left unless it takes major brass hits.

Thanks for everyone that participated in my first poll.  You have been very helpful.

D
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 2:23:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Pretty sure the instructions that came with mine suggested that right hand shooters flip to the left and vice versa for lefties. I have yet to mount it yet as it's supposed to be a Christmas present and I'm not "allowed" to have it yet.

I was surprised that the instructions stated that. I intended to have it flip to the right.

http://www.eotech-inc.com/documents/G23%203x%20Magnifier.pdf

The magnifier system can be configured to flip to the left or to the right based on shooting preference. Typically, right handed shooters prefer the mount to flip to the left, and left handed shooters to the right.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top