Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2003 10:28:26 AM EDT
I've got a fairly new Bushmaster 20" Hvy bbl. A couple of weeks ago I was at the range working on finding my "one hole load". However I first tried some 55g, some 60g, and some 75g Hornady TAP loads to see how they would shoot. When I got to the fifth round of the 75 grainers, something didn't sound quite right, and the empty only flew out about 12 inches onto the table. The bottom part of the case looks like its a belted magnum. The primer blew out and you can tell the cartridge base got hammered pretty good by the bolt face. When the rifle cycled on that round I never noticed any difference. It wasn't a slam fire. I was shooting slowly for groups so I know that wasn't the problem. It almost looks like the bolt didn't close and lock, but if it didn't, would your trigger group work like normal? Anyway, anyone have any ideas what happened? It's worked fine since with no problems. Thanks Greg
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 2:58:50 PM EDT
[#1]
No, they were Hornady TAP 75 grainers
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 3:02:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It wasn't a slam fire. I was shooting slowly for groups so I know that wasn't the problem. It almost looks like the bolt didn't close and lock, but if it didn't, would your trigger group work like normal?
View Quote
I'm sure the bolt was closed. If the bolt doesn't close the firing pin can't hit the primer.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:12:35 PM EDT
[#3]
It was a high pressure load, for whatever reason.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top