Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2003 9:11:58 AM EDT
I just bought an older Essential Arms AR which needs a refinish.  I saw a few Colt's on gunbroker that sported an "Electroless Nickel Finish" and am wondering if anyone knows how to do these, or is a professional refinisher with the equipment to do this.  What is everyone's opinion on the nickel finish as opposed to using GunKote or an anodized black matted finish?

Link Posted: 5/31/2003 9:51:50 AM EDT
[#1]
As the onetime owner of the pistol below, I will have to say that the Robar NP3® finish (Teflon™/nickel)on this "Pimp Mobile" was sure easy to clean!  It did attract WAY TOO MUCH attention from elements of our society that would probably hold their Glocks sideways while shooting.
[img]http://www.z06vette.com/gallery/data/500/135oa93.jpg[/img]
Sold for C3 toys.  -TF
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 12:30:48 PM EDT
[#2]
EN has a fairly bright metallic appearance unless topcoated with something else, and for that reason I don't particularly like it for a weapon finish.  On the plus side, it is fairly hard and wear-resistant, but a good blow from something sharp will "burnish-scratch" it, but it cannot be touched up.  As far as corrosion resistance, on carbon steel it will provide from 48 to 72 hours of ASTM B-117 Neutral pH Salt Spray.  Unfinished steel will develop rust in 2 to 4 hours. Ordinary gun blueing will go 4 to 12 hours, well-oiled phosphate will do from 48 to 96.  Some of the organic moly-PTFE coatings are about the same, 48 to 96 hrs.

Noah
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:51:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Electroless nickle is gold colored.  You want a gold colored AR?  [puke]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top