Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2014 2:48:52 PM EDT
This one...7" Key-Mod handguard

It's near identical to the Noveske NSR from what the pics show.

I'd love to here opinions and reviews on it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 2:52:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 2:54:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tag, I like the price.
View Quote

Likewise

MAS Defense has lots of happy customers,  so I'm thinking this may be a good product too.

I want to try one out and was hoping some who do have it could chime in with some insight and hopefully pics.

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I used a different MAS defense free float on my pistol build, it is heavy and the top rail is visibly lower then receiver rail, but it was cheap for a build with no irons so it's still on it.

I have been eying the M-Lock handguards from ALG Defense, not much more money.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 3:32:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I used a different MAS defense free float on my pistol build, it is heavy and the top rail is visibly lower then receiver rail, but it was cheap for a build with no irons so it's still on it.

I have been eying the M-Lock handguards from ALG Defense, not much more money.
View Quote

I too like the ALG rails, and wish they would come out with more standard lengths, ie 7", 9", etc. in the M-Lok style.

Perhaps they will with the upcoming V2 and V3 versions.

That said, I'd be inclined to give this handguard a shot.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 3:33:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 3:41:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I looked at the ALG rails but I need a 9" for my .300BLK SBR.
View Quote

I need one too.

But a 7" for my 300 sbr.

If they already offered it, I wouldn't be looking at this handguard.

eta- are you reading this Geissele?

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 4:01:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a 9 inch and its awesome.  I can't believe how much goodness it is for $75.  It does appear to be a noveske clone and its GTG.  Locks up with 6 set screws, much better design than most.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 5:14:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a 9 inch and its awesome.  I can't believe how much goodness it is for $75.  It does appear to be a noveske clone and its GTG.  Locks up with 6 set screws, much better design that most.
View Quote

That's great to hear.

Do you have any additional pics of the hand guard?

IYO, can it be modified to use the index/anti-rotation pin like the NSR does (or something similar)?

It's not a deal breaker if not, but if there is enough meat on handguard to drill a small hole, I can find some pin to use.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 2:01:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Well this rail was in stock last night and I ordered one.

When it gets here, I'll take some detailed pics, measurements, weigh it and get back to you guys.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 2:31:48 PM EDT
[#10]
The handguard is expected to be delivered Monday.

Also, Midsouth Shooters Supply is selling these as well.

They appear to be Guntec brand handguards FWIW.

They have more pics on Midsouth and even the barrel nut looks like the NSR's.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 2:43:03 PM EDT
[#11]
They look like damn good quality for 70 bucks.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 3:04:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is.

I was very happy when I got it.  The 6 screw lockup is so key as well.  So much more solid than the 1st gen type handguards with two screws or worse yet a friction fit with two clamping screws.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 3:08:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

If they're near(or at) the quality of the NSR's for roughly ~1/3rd the price, I'll be happy.

And from what I've seen of them this far (another member's), they appear to be well worth it.

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 3:10:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It is.

I was very happy when I got it.  The 6 screw lockup is so key as well.  So much more solid than the 1st gen type handguards with two screws or worse yet a friction fit with two clamping screws.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is.

You serious?

Reel serious?

I believe it. 6 screws oughtta get er done. Especially if loctited.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You serious?

Reel serious?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is.

You serious?

Reel serious?

Yep.

For example- MI's clamping system IIRC, Sure, it seems to work welp enough, but IMO that's a far from ideal way of securing a rail.

There are so many better ways to secure a rail IMNSHO.

Everything from the C4 rails mounting, the BCM KMR, the Geissele rails, Larue, Troy Alpha & Bravo, the Guntec Keymod Rail/NSR clone, etc., all just make more sense for mounting designs.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You serious?

Reel serious?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is.

You serious?

Reel serious?

+

I am serious, I even loctited the barrel nut (blue)
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:50:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Ironically in the last week, I just built (technically still in process waiting on a LPK to finish it) a Mas Defense system using almost everything from them with the exception of the lower (Anderson) and the LPK (PSA).   It was just an experiment in building a 556 pistol on the cheap triggered by BF sales.

I'm not super impressed with the handguard.  That's not to say it's bad, just that more money will get you a significantly better product in my opinion but at double or more the cost.  For the record I'm not a gear snob.  :)  I have a $50 FF ebay tube hand guard on my SPR.

I have the 9" keylock version to go with their 11.5" barrel, I have long arms and prefer the real estate.  And I like a semi-monolithic with the rail+can look when I can get it.  

Manufacture and finish of the handguard is fine although I did have one pinprick of missing anodizing, almost too small to see.   Nothing I'd gripe about at this price range.

The barrel nut is where things start to go side ways a bit.  The handguard has no indexing notches like say the MCSRV2's guards I have that force it to line up with the upper.  The rail is indexed solely by lining up the screw holes with the the barrel nut.

The nut itself has weird notches (to me), they've far apart so I had to use my biggest crescent on them, I didn't have anything else that would work.  There are no spanner holes etc.

But the notches are so narrow that that only the first 1/3 of the bearing surfaces of the wrench fit which is prone to rounding.  The holes used to attach the rail are further apart than say the gas index holes on a standard nut so I had to  tighten it close to 70lbs which is more than I prefer to get things to line up as well as play with the shims.  But since there's nothing but that nut to prevent the rail from twisting and there's nothing but torque to prevent the nut from twisting better on the high end than the low.  

The rail holes for the screws do have some slop in them, they're bigger than the screw size so you don't have to be perfect to get them to attach to the nut but if it's not that leaves your rail canted.   As long as you're using glass it shouldn't be a huge problem but be prepared for some possible adjustment issues if you're putting BUIS on this, it only takes a fractional offset at the rifle to throw things off kilter far down range.  

There is more tolerance than I'd like (in all honesty I'm probably spoiled rotten by the tolerances I've had with the with the Seekin's products) but anyway the nut and rail are a looser very faint rattle fit unlike say the seekins where it's a nice shimmy fit (twist the rail back and forth as you push/pull it).

For what I was going for, a cheap 556 pistol as a range toy?   It's probably going to be fine.

Not that it's completely relevant some other thoughts in general on the build given it's all Mas Defense -

The 11.5 inch barrel seems okay without scoping or shooting it.  The muzzle threads were looser than I'm experienced with.  When I was putting the specwar brake on it I was able to do the 'finger snap' nut spin and it would go through several revolutions before stopping.  The PSA CHF barrels and Ranier Arms barrels I have that's not the case, it's just twist twist.

The meloniteed gas block and tube seem nice enough.  Although I did not get a gas tube roll pin with either one.   A pet peeve of mine that they're not included with the purchase.  I'm not asking that they be put together but when you order a tube and block it seems likely you're going to put them together and to do that you have to have a new roll pin.   Seekins did it to me a as well so it's not like it's unusual but still toss in the damn pin.

The NIB BCG, my first in all frankness, seems slick as hell in terms of friction.  Properly staked and all that and cycles well (by hand).   I may put this in my 300BO pistol instead.  :)

The SB15 pistol buffer tube seems decent although the SBX doesn't fit all the way to the brace stop on it due to it not being open ended like the SB15.  It stops about 1/4" short.   But then the tube is sold as a SB15 so that's not something you can complain about and it's an easy fix, just cut the rubber covering the back side open but then you're 'modifying' it and depending on your ATF paranoia is something you may or may not want to do.

The slick side upper seems well made. Another first for me.  Everything else I have has a FA and flap.

Shipping was quick and complete.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:18:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Initial pics to come after they've finished uploading

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:45:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Tag, as I want a rail for two builds my son and I are doing. These look good for the money.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 12:50:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Initial impressions:

This rail is slim and very light.  I don't have my scale handy (in the process of moving).

It's barrel nut is similar to the Noveske but is only threaded on one side vs Noveske's both ends.  It does come with 5 shims to dial it in for the proper torque and timing.

The barrel nut itself must weigh ~1.5x what the rail weighs.

It does have a recess in the handguard for what appears to be an anti-rotation pin (just like the NSR), but did not come with one.

The finish and machine work are nice.  No toolmarks on the exterior that I can see.  The anodizing looks great.

The holes in the handguard that the screws go through into the barrel nut are slightly oversized.  Perhaps small shims/bushings could take up this clearance and make it a tighter fit.

I'll update later with weights and measurements.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 5:52:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Update on installing yet?
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 11:07:50 PM EDT
[#22]
How does the rail line up with the upper? Any issues with height?

How is the barrel nut installed?
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 12:21:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Apologies for the late reply.

I moved this last week (sooner than I was anticipating), and with work and Christmas too, I have been extremely busy this last couple of weeks.

So, I'm hoping I can get a work bench together this weekend so I can get my building and reloading setups back up and running.

On the plus side, I now have a heated garage to work in.

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 8:34:07 AM EDT
[#24]
If there is anyway you can post pics of the flats on the barrel nut as well as the rear of the rail where the anti rotation pin would go, I would appritiate it.

On the edge of grabbing a 12"
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 9:24:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Screw it, ordered 12".  Will post weights and maybe pics as soon as it arrives.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 12:45:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Is it me or does anyone else notice the GunTec/MAS Defense hand guard is missing some key machine cuts on the back side of the KeyMod slot? The cuts I'm talking about are the 45 degree cuts for the mounting hardware. In the pictures shown above, those cuts are missing. It looks like the Chinese copied the NSR "visually", not "dimensionally".

Here's two pictures, one is of the handguard shown above and the other is of the inside of a BCM KMR.

Here's the KeyMod spec from Wikipedia:

Link Posted: 12/31/2014 2:43:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Is it me or does anyone else notice the GunTec/MAS Defense hand guard is missing some key machine cuts on the back side of the KeyMod slot? The cuts I'm talking about are the 45 degree cuts for the mounting hardware. In the pictures shown above, those cuts are missing. It looks like the Chinese copied the NSR "visually", not "dimensionally".

Here's two pictures, one is of the handguard shown above and the other is of the inside of a BCM KMR.

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah269/lordstoner/MAS_zps26faf042.png
http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah269/lordstoner/machinechamfer_zpsc881c370.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ce/Keymod_slot.JPG

View Quote

You are correct.

I was working in the garage, bench building and messing around with parts and this handguard and it does not have the angled back cut.

It's a bit of a downer, but I should be able to relieve the back of the NSR panels so that they fit easily enough.

I don't plan on changing out the panels frequently or at all so I not that scared.

Link Posted: 1/2/2015 8:58:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You are correct.

I was working in the garage, bench building and messing around with parts and this handguard and it does not have the angled back cut.

It's a bit of a downer, but I should be able to relieve the back of the NSR panels so that they fit easily enough.

I don't plan on changing out the panels frequently or at all so I not that scared.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah269/lordstoner/MAS_zps26faf042.png
http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah269/lordstoner/machinechamfer_zpsc881c370.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ce/Keymod_slot.JPG

You are correct.

Does that mean no keymod accesories will work without modification? Or just some?

I ordered one primarily for slick sides and top rail, so not too worried.

AO, if you mod yours, please share how you do/did it for those of us that wish to copy the process.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 6:04:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Received the 12" version today, but didn't bring home torx bits so I cannot weigh barrel nut separately. 12.4oz for the whole rail (rifle length).

Finish is not perfect, but not bad at all. There are no bevels on keyholes, so that kinda sucks. Will update rail alignment as soon as I can get it on the upper.

EDIT: barrel nut and 6 screws weigh 5.2oz and rail weighs 7.2oz or approx 0.6oz per inch. Rail looks like it will be even, or within a few thousandths of even with the top of receiver rail. Troy battle sight clamped on very firmly.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 8:38:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 12:10:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Midsouth has them back in stock again. Picked up a cheap 7in
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 8:50:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Noveske rail covers don't work FYI
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 2:45:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Did I miss measurements?
I would like to know if they are truly 7" or if they are 7.xx"

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:38:38 PM EDT
[#34]
I bought a 12" on Amazon via Variforce Tactical.

Upper rail was 0.020" narrower then the upper. MI front sight I tried, when the screw was tight the sight wobbled on the rail. Rail was also a tad low relative to upper.

I sent it back...
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:21:52 PM EDT
[#35]
I've been eyeing this knockoff 7" keymod rail.

In the end, for slightly 40 dollars more, I can get the CMMG RKM7 so I ended up with the CMMG.

I happen to also like the ellipitical shape of the CMMG unit.   and from what I've see in the photo above. it appears this is more rounded shape.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:13:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

In the end, for slightly 40 dollars more, I can get the CMMG RKM7 so I ended up with the CMMG.
View Quote

Link?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Link?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link?

http://www.jgsales.com/cmmg-ar-15-handguard-kit,-7,-rkm7,-black-p-68582.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top