Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/23/2005 8:58:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/23/2005 8:58:41 AM EDT by metroplex]
Wouldn't the acetone contain some amount of water and basically over time separate from the other components (Kerosene, mineral spirits, and ATF)?

Is there something else that can be used that would mix with the other non-polar components? I tried denatured alcohol and that even contains some water.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 10:28:40 AM EDT
what makes you believe that acetone has water in it? The fact that it's a liquid?
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 11:19:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/23/2005 11:34:48 AM EDT by metroplex]

Originally Posted By romulus:
what makes you believe that acetone has water in it? The fact that it's a liquid?

It's miscible with water and other polar compounds like hydrogen hydroxide.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 11:40:28 AM EDT
I don't know what Ed's Red is, but...Acetone can be used to dry things, such as after washing a test tube or prepping a surface for an adhesive.

Acetone is very "evaporative" (I can't remember the proper term at the moment--some up-to-speed chemistry person will jump in any moment). The acetone will grab the water, and then when it evaporates (which it will do quickly), it takes the water away with it.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 11:52:41 AM EDT
Yep, it's volatile but it is miscible with water, just like alcohols.

3 of the 4 ingredients of Ed's Red are definitely non-polar or at least go together like oil and oil:
ATF
Mineral Spirits
Kerosene

The last ingredient is acetone
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 11:34:08 PM EDT
I've been using Ed's Red for years and years, as a dunk cleaner, and bore cleaner. Never, ever, never noticed it separating, breaking down, or changing in any way.

You can skip the acetone and it still cleans ok, and there won't be all that pesky water to deal with.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:06:28 AM EDT
How much of an improvement do I see using Acetone in the mix?
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:33:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By metroplex:
How much of an improvement do I see using Acetone in the mix?

More on the fouling or dug-in stuff....not so much in removing powder or residue. Without the acetone, I'd put ER in the same class as the modern Hoppes.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:44:23 AM EDT
How about carbon fouling or carbon deposits in the bore? Will acetone have a more pronounced effect on that type of deposit?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:38:38 AM EDT
From what I can remember, Acetone is one of the more powerful solvents, thus it would help to remove certain types of goo. I believe Tar and similar substances are affected by it, and I believe Tar is Carbon Based (although I could be wrong ). Nothing else in the mix is much of a solvent, so I would guess that without it you are only going to get rid of loose residue and nothing that is really cooked on.

5Shot
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:30:55 PM EDT
You are right. I found Ed's Red did absolutely nothing to remove hard carbon deposits...
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:38:28 PM EDT
Acetone is plays heck with plastics, I've seen it comletely melt and deform a screw driver handle or two.
Top Top