Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2004 3:08:35 PM EDT
I just picked up my first ar15 today hmaster
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:16:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Either the SureFire M73 or the YHM two piece.  They are economical and well made.  www.ar15reviews.com
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the oly  firsh would be the be a better system but installation is the only downside, if you got a muzzle break good luck taking off your front sight. Asides from that the firsh is lighter, all one piece, stronger, cheaper and ITS THE SAME FUCKING HEIGHT AS THE FLAT-TOP

If thats not an option there are deals on the rasII for 275 w/ vertical grip and extra panels, ive seen the panels and the grip combo sell on ebay for 100$$ so your really only paying 175 for the system but you got no hand protection so you better bring a sling
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:54:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't get the YHM, the rails aren't millspec. I found out the hard way.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 8:16:17 PM EDT
[#4]
DPMS makes nice free-floating 4-rail handguard (part # FF-4R) for a very reasonable price - $135.  This does the same thing that Knights product would do for $450.  No shit.

I just received mine and it looks really sweet.  I also tried a couple of ARMS throw-lever QD mounts on the rails and everything locks down rock solid.

www.dpmsinc.com

CMOS
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 9:56:15 PM EDT
[#5]
If money was not an option I would go with Daniel Defense.  If you want to go the cheaper route then go YHM.  Many people have them and will tell you they are "in spec".  Both can be had from Jason at JTAC Supply
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:41:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Well i cheaked out the dpms websight and the handguard doesnt look like anything special, does it attach to the knights barrel nut, doesnt look like anything special, wont lock on to the flattop doesnt look like a 2 piece. BUT I DID CHEAK OUT THEIR SPR's AND I THINK THE COMPANY SAW STARWARS 1 2 MANY TIMES. THERES GOT TO BE A LAW ABOUT GIVING CRACK TO GUN DESIGINERS;  WAIT, i think there is. KInda makes you wanna bitch smack the panter, i am taking dpms off the favorites list. I just feel bad about the kid who buys his first ar and its a dpms spr.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 11:15:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Where exactly did you see a DPMS SPR at?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 2:51:09 AM EDT
[#8]
The DPMS quad rail FF handguard is the same as the Bushmaster BMAS which is made by YHM.  I've had and installed both, no difference between the two.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:08:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Don't get the YHM, the rails aren't millspec. I found out the hard way.

Did you contact YHM?  And what parts didn't fit?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 3:13:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
ITS THE SAME FUCKING HEIGHT AS THE FLAT-TOP

Did you not read his question?  He didn't say shit about mounting optics.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:02:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly my point.  I've had the Knights FF rail system in my hands before and just don't see the $300 difference between it and somethng like the DPMS FF (YMH) rail system.  At $150 I'm more than pleased with the DPMS system.

In some cases, I think people get caught up in the "big name brand" game just like the "Colt" phenomenon - more money, no greater performance.

CMOS
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:28:38 AM EDT
[#12]
The sprs were in the websight

WHAT IF YOU WANT TO PUT A RAIL MOUNTED FRONT SIGHT, if you  ask me due to all the diffrent options avialable on an ar having a system the lines up with the flattop is a must bc/ u never know what you will be doing next, its better to start off with a good base
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:34:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly my point.  I've had the Knights FF rail system in my hands before and just don't see the $300 difference between it and somethng like the DPMS FF (YMH) rail system.  At $150 I'm more than pleased with the DPMS system.

In some cases, I think people get caught up in the "big name brand" game just like the "Colt" phenomenon - more money, no greater performance.

CMOS

Yes, but it is what you don't see by eye that makes these products above and beyond what is produced by DPMS, Oly, and YHM.  For general shooting and plinking, it won't matter.  For real work, the difference is usually obvious.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:00:20 AM EDT
[#14]
If you want to use it to do something it is NOT DESIGNED FOR, then don't get it.  There is no disappointment, now is there?  I would be agry if it was portrayed to do something it did not. That is not the case regarding the height of the top rail.  Don't like that?  Then move on.  Jeez.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:34:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Let me chime in with my $.02 since I just went down this road...

I'm always looking for the "it'll do" or "just as good for $200 less" kinda deal.  So I ordered a very nicely made YHM lightweight mid-length tube from SUPER HELPFUL, EXTRA QUICK DELIVERY "Bright Flashlights" here on ARFCOM.  I don't give a CRAP about "name brand" as a quick glance at my AR with a plain ole' RRA telestock and Hakko red-dot will tell you.

Well, it is a good tube, and it's worth $100... BUT it wasn't what I was looking for.  First off, it's too fat FOR MY PERSONAL TASTES.  I won't be using a vertical foregrip much, so that doesn't solve anything.  Also, the edges were sharp.  I have an el-cheap'O KAC ripoff $10 airsoft vertical foregrip that ain't spec, so it's hard to get on and off sometimes.  I tried it on the rail, and as I was pushing it back off the forend, it suddenly slipped free and I cut the CRAP outa my finger.  I originally thought ladder panels would work, but not with this thing.

I'm saving the extra $$ for a Daniel Defense forend.  Not because it's a name brand, because technically, it's only just now getting popular.  It was previously called a KAC ripoff with it's flimsy aluminum barrel nut.    Anyway, I'm getting one because the profile is SLIMMER than an M4 handguard, the edges are tumble ground to be smoothe and snag free, and it's even a tad lighter than the YHM to boot.  Don't get me wrong, it's going to HURT when I fork over that extra $225 for the DD, but after I install it, and forget about the money, the extra quality will be worth it.

If YHM works for you, then GREAT, I'm quite sure you'll be happy.  They might be "good enough", but they are NOT "just as good" as a DD forend, and that extra $$$ shows in the end product.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 11:47:26 AM EDT
[#16]
I want a four rail forearm that will make me shoot quicker and more accurate.  Make be able to reload faster.  Helps to keep me safe and out of harms way.

I don't want it too fat or too skinny.  I don't want it to be  too light or too heavy.  I don't want it to be too long or too short.

And I want to be able to win the Rifle Range Queen contest with it.

Any recomendations on the above forearms?

Or does it come down to personal prefference, perception and the application you are going to use it in?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 12:14:56 PM EDT
[#17]

I want a four rail forearm that will make me shoot quicker and more accurate. Make be able to reload faster. Helps to keep me safe and out of harms way.

I don't want it too fat or too skinny. I don't want it to be too light or too heavy. I don't want it to be too long or too short.

And I want to be able to win the Rifle Range Queen contest with it.

Did your pharmacist run out of Zoloft?

Are we talking about this subject (on a web forum dedicated to talking about the AR15 and accessories) too much for you?  Should we all just shut up and go watch that uber-realistic "Navy SEALS" with Chuckie Hollywood?

I don't want a rifle that's a range queen
Give me one painted tan or green
make it scratched with marks and dings
as long as when it fires it sings
there shall be no hoosits or bomboosles or conflopshuns
to hang from this rifle I just want some options
to free float the barrel and maybe a light
that could be good yeah that's about right
I don't like green eggs and ham
I don't like them Sam I am.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 12:27:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Onslaught,

I guess you are too ignorant to understand what being sarcastic is.  I did it too make a point, which went over your head.  

But you worry me about the Green eggs and ham bit though.  I don’t think you need to own a gun.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 1:01:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I still want to see one of the "STARWARS" Dpms SPR's........
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 4:36:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Don't get me wrong, it's going to HURT when I fork over that extra $225 for the DD, but after I install it, and forget about the money, the extra quality will be worth it.

Where are you finding DD forends for only $225.  If you know of a place, hook me up!  Or did you mean $225 more than a YHM forend?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:18:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the suggestions... I will mainly be using the ar15 for sport shooting/plinking.  I will have to get a 2piece unit though since my barrel is not "free floating".  However, it seems the general concensus would be the DD forearm instead of the yhm.  I'm not interested in gouging my hand when taking off an accessory.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:32:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Booyah24,

Get what you want but I have a YHM ff forearm and have never cut or gouged by hands.  Onslaught must  be clumsy or just a wimp.

If you are in combat or on SWAT team and you want the more expensive unit and have the money then go for it.  As I stated eariler, it won't make you shoot any better or more accurate.  It's just like having a Rolex watch.  

I no longer have to go on combat missions but do monthly 3-gun matches.  I find the YHM forearm for the money a better value for the application I'm using it in.  I don't have any problems getting my accessories on or off.  Maybe it's just better training on my part.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:44:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Silly question... How do I determine which one would fit my AR?  
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:00:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Your Bushy M4 has what is called a standard length carbine system (there is also the midlength carbine system and the rifle length system) which describes the lenght of the gas tube and the placement of the gas block.  

The DD forends are one piece and will free float your barrel.  As far as which ones will fit, if you use the existing gas block/front sight the DD 7.0, 12.0FSP, and 9.5FSP will all fit on your Bushy M4.  

Two piece rail systems that will free float your barrel are the RAS II from KAC and the ARMS SIR #45, 46, 50, and 58MOD, (plus the #51 if you have a fixed carry handle instead of a flattop).  

The lower priced two piece rail systems like the Surefire M73 and the YHM will not free float.  Neither will the more expensive KAC RIS and the KAC RAS.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:01:45 PM EDT
[#25]

I guess you are too ignorant to understand what being sarcastic is. I did it too make a point, which went over your head.

What, you can have fun with sarcasm, and I can't?  I mean GEEZ, I even admitted to owning a copy of Navy SEALS!  Oh, wait... no I didn't... CRAP!  Never mind, you didn't hear that.

But you worry me about the Green eggs and ham bit though. I don’t think you need to own a gun.

Funny, that's the same thing my therapist told me...  But I don't understand why... I'm feeling much better now!

Get what you want but I have a YHM ff forearm and have never cut or gouged by hands. Onslaught must be clumsy or just a wimp.

Ouch, that hurt...  I'm quite well known for not being able to hang a picture without bleeding, so I'm guessing it's #2.

Dude, I was sharing my true experience with the YHM and a POS VFG I had... Not insulting yours.  Don't know why I gotta get called names just for trying to help a brother out... (sniff sniff)

All kidding aside though, the lightweight one has a lot more edges and does (to my wimpy, clumsy hands anyway) feel a lot sharper than the older "Bushmaster" style.

I still like YHM stuff.  If/when I ever get around to finishing my budget SPR dream, it's getting a YHM modular rig for sure.

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#26]
OH yeah... P.S.

Where are you finding DD forends for only $225. If you know of a place, hook me up!  Or did you mean $225 more than a YHM forend?

Sorry man, I meant $225 MORE.  

YHM from Bright Flashlights - $94

DD from ADCO - $318

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 8:23:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Go to gun broker and type in dpms and you see a bunch of bullbarelled crap. They dont even make irons an option ive tried to find a bull barel rifle sight and good luck. Non tactical comericial garbage probally out of spec like all their other crap. My favorite is the artic advenger because spray paint is real expensive. LETS ALL GET TOGEATHER AND BITCH SMACK THE PANTHER notice the new super bull barels
Sorry bro we hijacked your thread, booyah24 you can always custom your handguards with a lo-pro gasbrock and a 40 dollar sight. Buy what fits your gun but dont feel that you cant have a handguard if it dosent fit. If you want a longer sight raidus you can always custom anything on an AR. Thats what makes an AR your AR and not just an Ar.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 2:02:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Hi Onslaught,  

Instead of sarcasm I should have just simply pointed out that it's really a mater of personal preference but............forearms don't make one shoot any better.

But no.............I can't make anything simple and to the point.   And, only thing I take is a vitamin and my blood pressure medicine.  I must have forgotten to take it yesterday.  

I hope you enjoy your DD forearm when you get it.  Post some pictures.  Down the road I'll be upgrading my other carbine and I might have my income tax refund back by then.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 4:17:30 AM EDT
[#29]
I figure since my bushy is post-ban, I will need to get the 2 piece handguard instead.  The guy at my local gunstore stated that if I wanted to install a one piece handguard, the flashguard will need to be removed (sawed off).
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:18:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Booyah24,

You're right.  The simplist, most economical way is to get the two piece YHM forearm.  But........I only have expeirence with the YHM Free Float forearm.  Some of the other members are having some issues with these not matching up to the upper receiver or not being milspec, etc...  You need to do more research

Sounds like the DD or KAC don't have these issues.  I don't have any expeirence with them.  But I value the opinions of the other members.  

YHM have specials on the ff forearm kits with free installation except for a $35.00 charge to remove your permentally attached mussel brake and fix sight/gas block.  Sound like a good deal to me.

See the link below for the YHM forearm kits.

secure.valinet.com/~yankeeh/cgi-bin/web_store/web_store.cgi?page=forearmkits.html&&cart_id=2390610_3185
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:41:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Just ordered a Surefire M7 handguard from gandrtacticle.com.  Grant is the best when it comes to customer service, courteous and friendliness whenever I called (and I called several times).  Being a AR15 newbie, Grant took the time to explain the differences in handguards,brands,etc...   Thanks alot!!!
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 11:16:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 5:40:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Damn I'm gonna sound like Jack!  Rambosky, the YHM is designed to match the level of the receiver.  I've never heard of that issue, and the spec on the rail was addressed in another thread by the manufacturer.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:08:14 AM EDT
[#34]
I still think a group bitch smack is in order
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:38:54 AM EDT
[#35]

Originally posted by  TNRonin : "Damn I'm gonna sound like Jack! Rambosky, the YHM is designed to match the level of the receiver. I've never heard of that issue, and the spec on the rail was addressed in another thread by the manufacturer."

Read my post.  I said "others" were saying this not me.  I have a YHM ff forearm and it lines up fine to the receiver.  All my grips and bipods and lights fit fine.  I've read the other thread.

Lets move on.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:59:39 AM EDT
[#36]
The SIR free float systems cost about $369. and are the coolest running in high volume fire, slimest to hold , and you can use only the rails you need since you put them where you need them. They come with a sling swivel that goes were ever you need it. The wt. is only about 4 oz. more than the std. M4 plastic hand guards. Less wt., if you detach rails you don't need. They lock around the barrel nut and the entire length of the receiver, so you also get extra rigid support , a built in riser, and can be installed in about 5-10 miutes.
Jack
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 12:00:37 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
slimest to hold , and you can use only the rails you need since you put them where you need them.
Jack

I prefer weapons free of slime, thanks.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 8:06:27 PM EDT
[#38]
They say guys who like slim guns like slim guys
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top