Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/13/2005 12:44:11 PM EDT
Good afternoon all.
I know there has been prior discussion of bolt markings, but I'll be damned if I can find the thread......

I picked up 2 early chrome slick carriers at the Springfield MA show, and just wondered if anyone cold help "date" the materiel for me?????

Both carriers are identical, and unmarked. One came with the early firing pin retainer and a chrome bolt. The bolt has the 45 degree cuts behind the lugs, and is only marked "P" (pics below)

The second had the cotter-pin style retainer, and a parked bolt, same 45 degree cuts, and is "MPC" marked.

I'm wondering about the markings on the chrome bolt, and the approx. date of manufacture......
I know theres someone out there who can help

Muchas Gracias,
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 2:53:16 PM EDT
I looked this topic up in the Black Rifle II book, and what I found was that the early Colt chrome bolts had the "M" for magnetic particle inspected and then the "P" for proof tested. I think that you have an early Colt chrome bolt that they just made a mistake and left the "M" off of it. There was no reference to any type of bolt with just the "P" like you have, so I think the "M" was just left off.

Charles Tatum
Alamo Professional Arms
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 3:43:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MACVSOG:
I looked this topic up in the Black Rifle II book, and what I found was that the early Colt chrome bolts had the "M" for magnetic particle inspected and then the "P" for proof tested. I think that you have an early Colt chrome bolt that they just made a mistake and left the "M" off of it. There was no reference to any type of bolt with just the "P" like you have, so I think the "M" was just left off.

Charles Tatum
Alamo Professional Arms

Thanks for the response.....If I knew the Black Rifle 2 had that kind of info, I'd have picked up a copy of it at the show.
I was puzzled.....have never seen a Colt bolt with just a "P"
Top Top