Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2006 8:34:36 PM EDT
Hey Everyone, need some opinions.  I'm looking at an Eagle Arms/Armalite 16" carbine with the molded lower receiver.  The handgrip, buttstock, and lower receiver are all one piece molded with the lower receiver parts in it, and the upper is a 16" armalite made A2 style.  I'd take the 16 and put it on another lower I have that currently has a 20" HBAR and switch the HBAR over to the molded stock.  Anyone have one of these and have good/bad things to say about it?  I like the price, and I like the idea of having one just to have around, but I haven't been able to find one local to even grab onto and with no ability to change the grip or stock, I'm guessing I should probably know what I'm getting into before I buy one...

All opinions appreciated... and it's not neat and fancy like the bushmaster carbon lowers, just plain jane.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:11:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe the eagle arms lower your talking about is this one right? http://www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/components/EagleArms.htm

If so another poster on this site said that they are really lowers made by Cavalry arms.  

http://www.cavalryarms.com/MKII.html

I've heard people say they work great but I haven't used them myself.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:11:43 AM EDT
[#2]
yep, those are them.  I like the lighter weight, since I've been looking at the kel-tec for an emergency situation rifle, but if this is good I may go with it.  I'm still wondering how the grip feels though.  I've gone to Ergo grips on my other AR's and don't know how this one will be in comparison.  I guess I could always put a hogue monogrip over it though...
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Got it in today.  I'm actually impressed by the feel of the lower receiver, grip and buttstock.  Had a little problem getting my old A1 upper to fit onto it, just a little bit of hand pressure needed to get the rear locking area to fit in and the pin to slide into place.  I'm not really sure I like the pin set up, both pins are the same diameter and style, but the front pin is 1/4" longer than the rear pin and neither of them are retained in the lower receiver when the gun comes apart.  And unlike H&K or Cetme they didn't make neat little holes in the buttstock to place the pins into to make sure they don't get lost.

I'm hoping to get it out to the range soon and find out how it works in use and not just playing around with...
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't think you can really compare the various carbon lowers to the Cavalry Arms lower.  The Cavarms lower is super light, simple, durable, and relatively inexpensive.  

For a simple, light carbine or rifle (I somtimes shot a 20" on mine), changing stocks and grips probably just isn't needed.  The length of pull matches the A2 size stocks, and the integral pistol grip is fuller in the rear somewhat like the larger backstraps on the Magpul MIAD grip.  I really like how it feels, myself.

The pins do take more effort to push in or out than standard ones, but you don't have to worry about upper/lower wobble.

Dammit, now that I think of it, I want another one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top