Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2005 6:18:53 AM EDT
Want a 20 or 24 inch 6.8 upper. "Model 1 Sales" offers them. They use "E.R Shaw" to make the barrels. Anybody know anything about Model 1 or E.R Shaw?

Bags

http://www.model1sales.com/

http://www.model1sales.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=BSC2068R10&storeid=1&image=bar2068rem.gif&CFID=562002&CFTOKEN=31814358
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:55:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Model 1 sells parts sets that have 'mil spec' parts. Some of the mil spec parts do not meet military acceptance standards and were rejected. You may have to buy new parts to replace those reject parts. Shaw barrels are adequate. The barrels I have seen have not been top-of-the-line. A gunsmith.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:26:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I have similar question, which I'll toss in here to avoid starting a whole new thread:

Do you think it's worth the extra money to order a Bushmaster barrel instead of an ERShaw?

Jim
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:51:04 AM EDT
[#3]
A Bushmaster barrel is a quality product with a predictable level of performance. Shaw, who knows? A gunsmith.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:22:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for that info. What I want is a 20 or 24 inch 6.8 barrel/upper. So far as I know the only ones who make and sell these are by Model 1 Sales that use E.R Shaw barrels. I have seen 16 inch uppers and barrels in 6.8 but not 20 inch except by Model 1 and E.R. Does anybody make them?
Bags
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:29:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Who knows, for pennies extra, ER Shaw will stamp anything on the barrel you want.

I don't know much about them, but I do believe they make a pretty nice barrel.  I had a varmint heavy barrel a few years ago from them and it was a tac driver.  The chamber was too tight for 5.56 though.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:09:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Any good gunsmith can make a 6.8 barrel for you. The bore diameter is 0.277 inches, same as the 270 Win, so a barrel blank of appropriate twist and length would be a good starting place.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:39:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Does anyone know what manufacturer uses ER shaw barrels?????

C4

ER Shaw makes Colt's bbls. Yes they make a good bbl. However most bbls that they make are 4140 steel. Colt specifically has them use 4150 for their bbls.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:27:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:19:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:44:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Who knows, for pennies extra, ER Shaw will stamp anything on the barrel you want.

I don't know much about them, but I do believe they make a pretty nice barrel.  I had a varmint heavy barrel a few years ago from them and it was a tac driver.  The chamber was too tight for 5.56 though.  

I had E.R. Shaw re-barrel a Remington 600 for me in .223 (not 5.56).  It is very accurate but I have to use commercial brass.  I would expect that they would chamber in 5.56 if you specify it.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:20:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I have an 11.5" ER Shaw barrel on an M16 that has 10K+ rounds through it. While I can not say that every ER Shaw barrel out there is as good as the one I have, I can say that I have tortured the hell out if it and it still works great...and still gauges too.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:38:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I am now using the fifth Model 1 sales ER Shaw barrels.  Three are 6.8 SPC all are chrome lined they are all Very accurate. I case you havent noticed any time someone talks about a product that is not advertising or hosting this site they are no good. Don't believe it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:02:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I case you havent noticed any time someone talks about a product that is not advertising or hosting this site they are no good. Don't believe it.

Thanks to all who have responded. If I may address the above statement. Although the above statement might be true more often than not, it is NOT true in the case of a good man and a good friend, somebody I have done business with numerous times, Wes Grant of MSTN (above). Wes never forces you to buy and sells only top of the line gear, a lot of which is in use across the pond.  Wes knows his stuff and for anybody wanting the best products out there with no bullshit and who is a straight shooter (literally and figuratively), give my man a call. (Sorry if this sounds like a commercial, which is not my intention, but I want to set the record straight). Bags
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top