Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/24/2006 5:56:06 PM EDT
Im thinking i need a model 512 EOtech but is it really worth 350 dollars.
those of you that have them , do you think it was worth it ??
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:01:37 PM EDT
I had a EOTech for 2-3 years, I just couldn’t get used to the reticule. Too busy for my eyes. I went with the Aimpoint and haven’t looked back.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:06:21 PM EDT
you could get the 552 for 350 on the EE right now if you are serious

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:22:56 PM EDT
I was looking at the 512 for battery life is it better to go with the 552
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:32:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By QUIB:
I had a EOTech for 2-3 years, I just couldn’t get used to the reticule. Too busy for my eyes. I went with the Aimpoint and haven’t looked back.

i got the 552 and you are absolutely correct. I still cant get use to the reticle. I'd go with the aimpoint if possible.

good luck!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:32:44 PM EDT
My 551 is worth it which I got about three weeks ago from the EE's C4iGrant of G&R Tactical.

Grant had the lowest price quote and a great guy to deal with, I've been his steady customer for about a year now.

It's less money than my Aimpoint M2 with or without an optional mount.

I'm using my EOTech for close work because of the large circle reticle style is very easy to use and the 1 MOA center dot could be use for longer ranges.

If possible try it out first at your dealer or even at the shooting range to see if you like it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:32:30 PM EDT
512 is worth every single penny, IMO.

I love mine.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:47:06 PM EDT
The 65 MOA outer reticle makes close quarters shooting a breeze, and the 1 MOA center dot makes precision shooting out to 300-400 yards good also.

The outer ring can help with range estimation also.

The 4 MOA of the Aimpoint covers 12 inches of your target at 300 yards.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:58:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/24/2006 9:02:00 PM EDT by Onslaught]
From the board supporting dealers on this site, you can get a brand new 512 for $329 shipped.

I just got my second one in the mail today ($289 on the EE) and I'm just as happy with both of them as I could be.

The reticle is definitely a "love it or hate it" thing. You have to try one for yourself before you buy. If you like the reticle, then it's definitely worth the cost. If you don't like it, then you'll be selling it on the EE to someone just like me, ready to pounce on the next EO-deal that comes along.

Originally Posted By F4T9R:
I was looking at the 512 for battery life is it better to go with the 552

I didn't know the 512 and the 552 had a different battery life from their mutual AA batteries. I knew they both had significantly better battery life than the 511 and 551 with N batteries.

I DON'T think the 552 is worth the extra money unless there's ANY CHANCE you'll EVER own night vision. Other than that, it's just extra $$$ for no benefit. (unless you scuba dive with your AR)
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:43:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/24/2006 10:44:29 PM EDT by CSGunWorkscom]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:29:55 PM EDT
eotech 512 you wont be sorry
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:54:21 AM EDT
I think the EOTech is definitely easier for stuff out to about 50 yards, and man sized stuff. I don't see the EOT as a precision sight, just as something to get on target fast and hit what you see. I think the EOT is much better if you are moving around.

For distances over 50 yards I'd go with the Aimpoint. Under 50 yards the Aimpoint works too, but the EOT is faster. JMO.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:37:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Gmountain:
I think the EOTech is definitely easier for stuff out to about 50 yards, and man sized stuff. I don't see the EOT as a precision sight, just as something to get on target fast and hit what you see. I think the EOT is much better if you are moving around.

For distances over 50 yards I'd go with the Aimpoint. Under 50 yards the Aimpoint works too, but the EOT is faster. JMO.

Using the dot on my 512 I can hit spent shotgun shells at 25 yards. That's pretty precise......

I think it's just a matter of being able to focus on the dot for longer range and the 65 MOA outer ring for much closer.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:59:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/25/2006 5:28:23 AM EDT by sharkbait]
I was just about to buy the EoTech last week for my RRA Elite . Stop by the only store that I knew had it - I,ll Pass- I did not care for the reticle or controls

I think I,ll buy the Trijicon TA31F instead-
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:04:39 AM EDT
The Eotech is the best CQB sight going. Its faster and more precise than the Aimpoint. The only thing the Aimpoint has going for it is battery life.
Pat
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:06:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/25/2006 5:08:13 AM EDT by QUIB]

For distances over 50 yards I'd go with the Aimpoint.

I tend to think the other way around. The EOTech was great for long distance shots out to 300m. The 1MOA dot was perfect for it. That was one aspect I liked about the EO. Had I purchased the 1MOA dot only reticule I’d probably still have the EO.

On the other hand the Aimpoint with 4MOA dot covers a lot more of the target at greater distances. Like mentioned above, 12MOA @ 300m.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:12:07 AM EDT
I think so, but I have not messed with that model. I have the 551 and 552 from EOTech. BTW, I paid the same price for my 551 as the 512 model was going for, so why not get the 551? Although it can be a challenge to find the N-type 1.5 v batteries sometimes. Here is a pic from the range 2 days ago, when I was in a hurry to set them up to be somewhat accurate at 50 yds while shooting shots from the Bushmasters fairly fast, but not rapid fire. I also had to zero them, notice the start of my shots at the bottom, but it did not take too long. I am very pleased with my EOTech sights. http://www.geocities.com/handcannon_99/551552.jpg
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:20:40 AM EDT

For distances over 50 yards I'd go with the Aimpoint.

I tend to think the other way around. The EOTech was great for long distance shots out to 300m. The 1MOA dot was perfect for it. That was one aspect I liked about the EO. Had I purchased the 1MOA dot only reticule I’d probably still have the EO.

On the other hand the Aimpoint with 4MOA dot covers a lot more of the target at greater distances. Like mentioned above, 12MOA @ 300m.

I guess that's why they make both. I have a harder time with the EOT at distance.

I do like the EOTech though. To answer the original question, yes it's worth the money.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:20:53 AM EDT
I never had a problem finding “N” batts. Lowes, WalMart even Safeway had em’! And just as I stock up on ammo I always had a supply of new batts.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:54:19 AM EDT

the 1MOA dot is better at distances that the CompM2s with a 4MOA dot or the 3s with a 2MOA dot...

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:33:25 PM EDT

I never had a problem finding “N” batts. Lowes, WalMart even Safeway had em’! And just as I stock up on ammo I always had a supply of new batts.

I did not have a problem at first getting the N-type batteries for my EOTech 551 because I bought out the entire stock at a local Walgreens. On occasion when I am in another store like a CVS, or another Walgreens, well then I noticed on several occasions that they had none in stock. Also I have heard of others here around my area have a hard time finding those N-type's. But I have got enough batteries for both my 551 & 552 and ammo to last me a good while.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:02:04 PM EDT
I'm an Aimpoint convert to the EoTech 552. It's a great all round optic. I'm happy with it and have no problems with the reticle. There's no doubt in my mind that it's the fastest sight on the market while offering the best precision available in an unmagnified sight.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:46:45 PM EDT
I too have gone from Aimpoint to EOTech, and I will not go back. While we don't need to start the EOTech/Aimpoint agruement, I thought I would throw that in.

Get either EOTech or Aimpoint, buy it off the EE. If you do not like it, resell it, you will make your money back, and help another EE'er.

The EOTech's reticle which some people complain about is wierd. If you look at it, it is REAL grainy, use the sight correctly, focus on the target, and it is clear and crisp.

It depends on what you like, try one, then the other.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:48:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By K00lGuy:
The EOTech's reticle which some people complain about is wierd. If you look at it, it is REAL grainy, use the sight correctly, focus on the target, and it is clear and crisp.

Actually some folks have problems with their eyes that effect the way the EOTech looks. My problem was that there was too much info to process…..the FOV was simply “too busy”.
Top Top