Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/10/2005 9:30:30 PM EDT
Well I just got my  EOtech 512 rev. f in from GandRtactical.com (very fast shipping by the way) and when I turn it on the reticule is very fuzzy. Is the circle and dot supposed to be made up of lots of tiny dots (like mine) or look solid. From the pictures I have seen I thought it was supposed to be fairly clean. Is this normal or do I need to ship it back for a new one? I don't have a digi but I will see what I can do for a pic as soon as I can.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:40:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:48:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn! yeah you are right I do have astigmatism. My optometrist said it is fairly slight and I believe only in one eye IIRC. I wear contacts I thought I read something about that fixing astigmatism. (I know it doesn't get rid of my oblong shaped lens or cornea)  DAMN! So since its fuzzy is it still going to be useful or is that something only I can decide?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:50:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Adjust the brightness setting. It defaults to setting 12 of 20 on start-up.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:04:32 PM EDT
[#4]
It's not just that.  The reticle is laser etched.  Ever look at a laser dot?  It's made up of active micro grain dots of light.  The EOTech is never going to have a solid sharp lined reticle like say, a scope with the lit portion etched onto the glass, or a single LED dot.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:08:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Congratulations, you may have astigmatism!

Yep, if it looks VERY fuzzy. I can't even tell the dot from the circle.

And trust me, however many times you go to the gunstore and look through it again, it doesn't go away. Just makes your friendly gun store owner wonder what the hell is wrong with you. If you had normal eyes, I'd say it was the scope, or how you were setting it. Since you've got eye issues too, I'd say it might be that.

Look on the bright side, when you sell it or send it back, it makes the Aimpoint vs EOTech question very easy.  Although then you get the whole dot size thing.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:55:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I can tell the difference between the dot and the the circle easily its just not sharp.

edit: When I put on my glasses the reticule gets a whole lot sharper. The dot looks like one dot not a couple and the circle is a hell of a lot cleaner too. Its odd though I can see a lot better with my contacts but they don't get the reticule as sharp as with my glasses. hmmm odd.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:58:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Its odd though I can see a lot better with my contacts but they don't get the reticule as sharp as with my glasses. hmmm odd.

You may not have toric lenses. To correct astigmatism as well as short/long sightedness you need toric lenses. They are approx 50% more than standard lenses.

I have both types, and there is a slight difference for me (I only have a slight astigmagtism)

Go to your optician, take the eotech, have a look with toric and non toric contacts.

Dave
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:08:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:01:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If you focus on your target and not the reticle, does the reticle appear as fuzzy?

Now you've done it.  You have let the whole world in on the Eotech secret.  How are we going to look good in training with everyone knowing the secret?  

Another interesting fact is the Eotech reticle also looks fuzzy to me, but the ACOG is crystal clear.  Wonder why that is?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:08:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:51:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I had the same problem when I first got my Holosight.  I have some astigmatism, but only mild correction in my glasses...the original prescription had *way* too much astigmatism correction, I couldn't wear the damn things for more than 15 minutes w/o getting dizzy.  

The circle gets sharper when I wear my glasses, and I've gotten used to the thing being a little fuzzy...but as you look at your target, some of that goes away.  End result is, I'm very happy with the Holosight...I like it a tad better than the Aimpoint I have.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:30:28 PM EDT
[#12]
hIGH_aND_mIGHTY

Theres is no doubt you have bought one of the finest Holosight. I also have one mounted on my AR and the funny thing we have in common is that when I bought mine I had the same exact question. Yes the reticle seems to be blurry, distorted, funky looking or whatever. Please do not let that discourqage you from keeping the weapon sight system. Please let me give you some advice. Practice ,Practice and Practice. Train with the sight sytem as much as you can. Become one with the sight. I can ensure you this, when you become a skilled user you will see the magic of this sight system. It was blurry to me at first but now after numerous training and practice sessions I have became one with the unit and no one on this planet can take that from me. The sight system is awesome......... PocketG out.....
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:56:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Reply to Bookhound:

That was exactly it. I shot an email to Grant at GandRtactical and that was the first thing he told me. WORLD OF DIFFERENCE. Thank you and everyone else for your advice.

I read somewhere that you are supposed to focus on the front site when using irons and I thought the same applied here. Clearly I was wrong.

Thanks again guys,

Craig

edit: once I get my barrel in tomorrow (thanks to Grant at GandRtactical.com) I'll need to post some pics of my set up.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:58:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:03:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine looks somewhat fuzzy indoors, but outside its fine.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Sure, I find this thread AFTER I email EOTech. D'oh!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Perfectly normal.

As others have said, focus on the target instead of the reticle and adjust the intensity setting to where their is minimal bloom according to your enviroment.

I have astigmatism as well, but with corrective lenses and the above reccomendations i do just fine.
Now if you remove Your glasses(assuming Your astigmatism is as bad as mine) You will truly get a spectacular image of the "Death Star Blowing Up!"
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:20:41 AM EDT
[#18]
yeah thats true but it reminds me of one of those ground bloomer fireworks that spin really fast.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top