Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2008 6:53:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/16/2008 8:04:22 AM EDT by 67Charger]
My eotech is "ghosting."  Depending on the area of the lense the dot is viewed it, the image of the circle and dot is uneven, splotchy, and /or blurry with a cloud of red haze around it.  I took a series of photographs changing the focal plane from the projected dot back to the glass lenses.  At first you can see the 2 ghosted imaged of the original dot.  As the focal plane of the camera moves back with the subsequent photos, you can see the dark spot become more defined until the last photo where it is very clearly defined.  The dark spot remains in a fixed location on the glass, while the dot can move in and out of it by changing the viewing angle.  I have thoroughly cleaned the exterior glass surfaces, and there is no visible flaw in either lense, so the problem is internal.  

If you look down into the unit from above on the button side you can see an angled piece of glass.  The dark smudge is visible 1/4" from the top of that piece of glass if you hit it with the right light

I took the unit apart, nd there is no physical smudge on the angled mirror, but it appears that the glass may have delaminated internally.  It is similar to when you bend a cheap plastic soda bottle and the layers of plastic separate internally and then make that really annoying creaking sound.

I cannot get any response from EOtech on the phone or through e-mail.

Link Posted: 11/16/2008 7:39:04 AM EDT
Well first your pics show an Eotech...second I dont see a dark spot....Is it the second pic?
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 7:43:09 AM EDT
Holy Blurry pics!
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 7:49:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/16/2008 7:49:43 AM EDT by Dawg180]
Dude, set your camera to macro, i.e. 'the flower icon' and then take the pics again.

Sounds like one of the windows is out of alignment.  I would call EOtech, they will probably have you send it in for repair.

[ETA]  It would appear you already tried calling- just keep trying until you get a human being is my only suggestion.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 8:01:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/16/2008 8:03:43 AM EDT by 67Charger]
Originally Posted By Dawg180:
Dude, set your camera to macro, i.e. 'the flower icon' and then take the pics again.

Sounds like one of the windows is out of alignment.  I would call EOtech, they will probably have you send it in for repair.

[ETA]  It would appear you already tried calling- just keep trying until you get a human being is my only suggestion.

"Dude"   The out of focus was intentional to show the dark areas.  The pic with the dot in the lower left is to show it CAN be bright and even.  The close-up of the buttons with the severely out of focus dot is to clarify the dark area in the image.  The first one where the ENTIRE image is out of focus emphasized the ghosting (mutliple dot images) when looking through the dark area.  They are all visible to the naked eye, but it took some unconventional focusing with the Rebel XTi to get the camera to pick up what was seeing.

Link Posted: 11/16/2008 8:04:23 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 67Charger:
Originally Posted By Dawg180:

"Dude"   The out of focus was intentional to show the dark areas.  The pic with the dot in the lower left is to show it CAN be bright and even.  The close-up of the buttons with the severely out of focus dot is to clarify the dark area in the image.  The first one where the ENTIRE image is out of focus emphasized the ghosting (mutliple dot images).  They are all visible to the naked eye, but it took some unconventional focusing with the Rebel XTi to get the camera to pick up what was seeing.

your plan didnt work I can see anything but a glowing recticle.  I have no clue what black spot you are talking about.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 8:07:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/16/2008 8:11:36 AM EDT by 67Charger]
Sounds like you aren't getting all 3 pics.  In the middle picture, the Eotech is sharply in focus, but the dot is not, and you can see a VERY distinct dark region in the middle of the image.  When you look through it with your eye (allowing the dot to be viewed as intended) and move the dot image over the darkened region, the dot dims and ghosts.  If you look though any other part of the window, it is clear.

Link Posted: 11/16/2008 8:11:56 AM EDT
When you have proper cheek weld and are shooting, do you see this dark spot?  If not I would not worry about it, other wuse send it back to EO tech.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 8:14:47 AM EDT
Yes.  You'll notice the finger shaped spot goes right over the center of the window. It is VERY distracting.  The image loses at least 50% of it's brighness and goes out of focus if it is anywhere in that well-defined area.  With the dot off, the window is perfectly clear and undistorted, it is acually in the reflected image of the dot.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 8:27:13 AM EDT
Call EOTech.. Ive never heard of seen anything like that.  Call them and ask for a new one. or they'll fix it for free.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 8:29:55 AM EDT
Eve if I am not the original owner, and it is a few years old?

I'll keep trying.  2 weeks with no response.
Link Posted: 11/16/2008 10:16:29 AM EDT
I had 2 that did that in the corners.  It is almost like there is a smuge on the laser lense (which is might be).  I emailed them and they gave me a return #.  I mailed it in and got them back.  The first took about 10 days and was 100%.  The second took about a month and was much better, but not 100%.  I did notice the level of service did go down.  So I didn't really want to bother sending it in twice.  I was not the original owner, but it was within the warranty period (2 years from manufacture date on bottom of sight).  I do not remember if they asked me about the manufacture date or not.  I may have volunteered it in my emails.

From the buttons, it looks like your sight is older.  But I would keep trying to get in touch and see what they say.  I got an email reply within 3 or 4 days, sometimes even the next day.  I suspect it isn't too difficult to fix otherwise they would replace them with new sights.  So they may just fix it along with all the others that are under warranty.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:23:04 AM EDT
I've been calling EOtech for 5 days at least 5 times per day.  NO ONE answers the phone or returns messages.  E-mails are all unanswered too.

Any clues?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:28:07 AM EDT
Figures.  Right after that post, I got ahold of the operator there, and evidently Doreen is on leave.  The operator was going to personally give the message to her replacement and have him call me back when he got off the phone.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:56:04 PM EDT
just out of curiosity what model is that eotech?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:31:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:15:53 PM EDT
I had a somewhat similar issue with a 512 about a year ago.  A distortion appeared near the center of the screen, kind of like a I was looking through a blob of grease.  It was just outside of the warranty period, but it was still repaired without cost.
Top Top