Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/11/2003 10:44:11 AM EDT
I picked up an EOtech 512 at a gun show this past weekend and finally go around to mounting it and shooting some rounds, about 500, through it the other day. All I can say is why did I go so long without one; very impressive. Target acquisition is so much faster with the EOtech over iron sights and much more accurate.

Question concerning sighting/mounting:
I mounted this onto my RRA M4 Tactical Entry LE w/ RRA 6 Position Stock. I cannot currently co-witness with the EOtech and the RRA tactical rise mount. Is there a mount adapter which has a see-thru hole for my stock iron sights or a mount which is offset or channeled to allow the use of the stock sights?

I did have to take off the small thumbscrew (small battery holder?) on the tactical riser mount due to interference.

Thanks for any and all info.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 11:04:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 7:30:17 AM EDT
[#2]
It will co-whitness on a standard upper.  

Unfortunately you mmust have one of those by-level uppers.  

You could put it on a KAC FFRAS. Or KAC RAS. It would be up front and lower (and thus would co-whitness).

There is a mount made by ARMS I don't know if they are still making them. It elevates the mounting platform for the sight about 1.5 inches talk to MSTN he might still have one.

That mount is nice but it was designed for some unit in SOCOM that needed to use gas masks and still see the sights so it is a little high.

[b]Or you could switch to a JP Ent J-Point or Dr.Optic.  I'll bet that would co-whitness on you current rail. They are smaller and operate on similar reflex principals[/b]
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 7:32:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hello, to the best of my knowledge there is no mount. You are better off selling the RRA Tactical Carry Handle and mounting your EOTech directly onto your flattop and getting an ARMS #40 BUIS. While I think the RRA TCH looks cool, it was designed to only work (co-witness) with an Aimpoint and a low Aimpoint Mount. Good luck..

C4

[url]www.gandrtactical.com[/url]
View Quote

I'll second that
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 8:37:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I worked for defense technologies for over 5 years,,, a major supplier for law enforcement and world militaries,,, i also own two eotech 552's,,, in response to your question,,, the e500 series,,, such as the 510 series and 550 series,,, were designed to be directly mounted to an a3 reciever, without the use of any spacers or mounts other than the integral weaver style rail,,, i would suggest you get an upper with this,,, or better yet an a4 rec which allows you to use a flip down front sight as well.  My bushmaster is an m4a3,,, with an eotech 552 and a rear iron sight as well,,, and seems to be a great combination,,,
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 11:51:22 AM EDT
[#5]
How much does an ARMS #40 cost? Why an ARMS #40?

How much do used RRA Tac Mounts sell for?

I really really love my current setup cause all my sights are 100% accurate and 100% where I want them. I know it won't take long at all to re-sight in if I were to get a new rear sight, such as the ARMS #40.

I know Murphy's law that if it is electronic, something can and will go wrong. Especially when mounting using the EOtech on my LE PD rifle. So I know BUIS are a must.

So basically if I were to take off the RRA Tac Handle Mount there is a pict. rail under there, correct? Onto the pict. rail I can directly mount the EOtech and the ARMS at the rearmost area of the rail correct? How long is this pict rail under the RRA tac mount?

I would be nice and simple to buy one of those ARMS elevated EOtech mounts, and then have some 'see thru rings' like on my muzzeloader. I just think mounting it up 1.5+" will be too tall.

So it basically will depend on how much I can sell my tac handle for and how much I can buy a good rear sight for.

Thanks for all the info.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 6:02:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok. Well I took off the RRA Tac Riser and mounted the EOtech directly onto the upper.

Of course, now I have a questions/problem.

1) I mounted the EOtech all the way forward towards the handguard, so I will have a good mounting area for a rear flip up sight. The front of the EOtech is 'hovering' over the delta ring, no big deal though.....just will have the dismount the EOtech whenever I need the handguards off. How much room will be needed on my receiver's pict. rail for a rear flip up sight??? From the back of the EOtech to the rearmost portion of the pict. rail I have about 1 5/8" worth of rail with 2 'cross slots'.
----------
Looking through the EOtech is a tad different now without the tact riser mount. I think the tac riser added just an inch of height. The EOtech is still simply awesome and extremely fast for myself to acquire a target compared to the stock sights.

So once I find a rear back up iron sight, fold down of course, in case of an optic failure, I will simply be able to flip up the rear sight and look through the EOtech and shoot, correct??

Thanks for any and all info.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 2:21:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Correct.

And don't worry about the EOTech sitting over the front delta ring. Mine sits in the forward position as I'm getting ready to pick up a GGG PVS 14 mount so that I can use the NVD behind my 552.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 3:07:36 AM EDT
[#8]
start noticing the pictures of different setups of some of the members here.  With the EoTech, the ARMS#40 is a real sweet back up iron sight (BUIS).

That set up is a very popular one around here.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 4:19:13 AM EDT
[#9]
My 2 cents. I like the MAD rear site at GG&G.
http://www.gggaz.com/products/madbuis.php[}:D]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top