Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2005 11:09:36 AM EDT
i've heard there's a magnification device you can place on yer rail behind yer EO (the same way you would a NVD).  any truth to this?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 12:18:42 PM EDT
[#1]
The prototypes for EOTech's magnifier was like that but the production units will be different with a new integrated hood attachment for the magnifier.  Because of the new hood design the the magnifier will not be backward compatible with the older sights...
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 12:23:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Backwards compatability is one problem, but I wouldn't mind selling my current EOTech for one IF it allows you to change the zoom level to 1X.

If it is a set zoom level I would rather just buy an ACOG.  So I guess I would be stuck spending $500 on an Aimpoint magnifier
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#3]
see if i've got this right?

they plan on making an EOtech that also functions as a magnification scope, but they will not (as of now) be making any device to add magnification abilities to the current EOtech's?

any ideas on cost or date of availability?  if this is the case i'll probably hold off on buying one til the new ones are ready.  even if they are out of my price range, the price of the old ones should drop considerably.

are there, currently, any sights that function as both a 1x red dot and a mag scope?  ACOG?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:54:09 PM EDT
[#4]
From what everybody has been saying, the magnified EOTech will be one single unit, not an add-on like the Aimpoint just came out with.

What I am waiting to see is if the magnification is adjustable.  If it is not, then it will be just like the ACOG (which I'd rather have, personally).
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 3:23:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
From what everybody has been saying, the magnified EOTech will be one single unit, not an add-on like the Aimpoint just came out with.

What I am waiting to see is if the magnification is adjustable.  If it is not, then it will be just like the ACOG (which I'd rather have, personally).

The magnifier will be a removable 4x unit.  You will be able to run the the EOTech a 1x CQB sight or a 4x magnified sight for longer range use.  The new redesigned hood will have some type of QD for the magnifier and the new reticle an EOTech rep showed me will have four 1MOA dots to use as a BDC for 0-300, 400, 500 and 600 meters.

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The magnifier will be a removable 4x unit.  You will be able to run the the EOTech a 1x CQB sight or a 4x magnified sight for longer range use.  The new redisgned hood will have some type of QD for the magnifier and the new reticle an EOTech rep showed me will have four 1MOA dots to use a BDC for 0-300, 400, 500 and 600 meters.

Well that's good to hear!

Anyone wanna buy a used EOTech???  
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Lucky thing I saw this.  I was thinking about ordering an EOtech tomorrow.  Is there any time frame for it to be available?  When you say it won't be compatible with older versions, does that mean the 552 rev F that's current, or even older versions?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 8:13:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Lucky thing I saw this.  I was thinking about ordering an EOtech tomorrow.  Is there any time frame for it to be available?  When you say it won't be compatible with older versions, does that mean the 552 rev F that's current, or even older versions?

Thanks.

Yes.  One of the main reasons (if not the reason) as I understand it is that on the new models, the controls will be side mounted.  Think about it -- if the controls stayed where they are on current models, and there was an integral hood sealing the EoTech holosight with the magnifier, there'd be no way to access the controls.

I still question the utility of BDC but I'll let others evaluate whether or not it works.  But at first glance, it seems the reticle is very busy, and in the CQB role that's where I think the simplicity of the current reticle shines.  Again, I'll wait and defer to others that actually get hands-on time with the system.

I'm bummed that the magnifier isn't backward compatible, but I also never thought that they'd incorporate the shroud/hood deal.  I'm taking a wait-and-see approach to this, but if the Aimpoint magnifiers come down a bit, I think I'd lean more towards going that route than selling my 512 and buying the new 5XX Holosight + magnifier, especially if it ends up running around $800 as reports coming out of the SHOT Show indicate.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top