Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2009 10:15:22 AM EDT
I am having one hell of a time! I just got an EOTech 552 for my AR and am having a bitch of a time finding the retical. I am cross dominant so I hold the rifle on my left sholder but want to sight with my right eye. To make things worse I wear glasses –– tri-focals to be specific –– and it is really proving a challenge.

I know I should be sighting with both eyes open but just don't seem to be getting the hang of it, at least around the house. Going to the range this afternoon so I may know more then but if anyone has any suggestions  I'd love to hear them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:13:50 AM EDT
[#1]
First, welcome to the forum!

I'm interested in what others have to say. I thought my wife would be more interested in shooting my AR when I put an Eotech on it since she is cross eye dominant too. I figured the both eyes open thing would work better for her, but so far it hasn't really. Sometimes I don't think she's trying hard enough to make it work though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:34:53 AM EDT
[#2]
wait, are you saying you are crosseyed?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:54:13 AM EDT
[#3]
No. He's left handed, but his right eye is his dominant eye for sight. This causes sighting problems, escpecially with rifles. Rifle to the left shoulder, but he naturally wants to close his left eye and sight with his right. Try it out.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:07:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm cross eye dominant and use both an Eotech and Aimpoint with no problem.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:11:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Does the Eotech reticle end up being in the corner of the window for you? Do you need to position your head differently than a "normal" (no offense meant there) shooter would?

These are the complaints I get from my wife. I'll have to give left handed shooting a try and see what I can do with it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:40:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm assuming you are not using a magnifier, if so try mounting it as far forward on the receiver rail as possible to try and increase your eye relief.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:43:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does the Eotech reticle end up being in the corner of the window for you? Do you need to position your head differently than a "normal" (no offense meant there) shooter would?

These are the complaints I get from my wife. I'll have to give left handed shooting a try and see what I can do with it.

It just looks normal to me, I don't have to change anything.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:17:01 PM EDT
[#8]
that sounds miserable, cant you just practice with the gun on the other shoulder until it feels more natural?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:21:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I tried shooting right handed ONCE and it felt about as wierd as peeing sitting down!!! I'm now having second thoughts on the EOTech. I took it to the range today, had the iron sights zerod and the eotech didn't even strike the target. I THOUGHT it was about 6 inches high and left so I turned the screws and after a point it seemd I was back where I started. Do you think I have a bad EOTech AND a bad sighting preference?

The moving it as far forward is a GREAT idea.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:02:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't think you got a bad unit.  You just need to do things in stages and not all at once so you don't screw yourself.  Just a suggestion:

1.  Shoulder the rifle the way you normally would, get your cheek weld and look down the sight.  Move it as far down the rail as possible so that you can look through the square window unhindered.  If you have to mount it on the handguard rail.  I know it will look weird but I've seen some people set it up this way and I never understood why until now.  They probably have the same problem you do.

2.  Start at 25y before movig to 50y.  Sight the Eotech from a table using bipods or bags, with your left eye closed.  Get your zero this way.  You may have to tilt your head over the stock a little now but later when you have both eyes open with your head at a more comfortable position your dominant right eye will override your left anyway.  Since it's holographic the reticle may be off center but in theory whrever you lay that dot is where the bullet should hit if it was doing that way when you sighted in from a rest.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:13:22 PM EDT
[#11]
808state has good suggestions.

To OP, do you have zeroed BUIS on your weapon? If so, you should be able to put the Eotech dot on top of your front sight post while aiming normally and get a pretty damn close zero of the red dot that way.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:22:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

To OP, do you have zeroed BUIS on your weapon? If so, you should be able to put the Eotech dot on top of your front sight post while aiming normally and get a pretty damn close zero of the red dot that way.

+1
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:58:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I have some eye dominance issues and what I've found is that just spending time behind the optic helps a lot.  It's what I've had to do since I go the EOTech and started spending a lot more time with both eyes wide open.

Practice and you'll find that with some effort, your eye dominance issues will fade.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:42:32 AM EDT
[#14]
EURIKA!!! I found the issue! I went to a gun show today and there was a guy selling EOTechs AND bore sights. I didn't think I had a bad unit either but did manage to sell me a bore sight. Got home loaded the bore sight and DAM was I off, like I said, 6-8 inches hight and right at 15 feet!!!! I removed the BUIS and re-set the EOTech. Zeroed at 12 feet and it was a snap.

Ten I removed the EOTech, re-installed the BUIS and the EOTech and damned if I wasn't hight and right again. The EOTech was hitting the hand guard. Time for a quad rail so I can mount EOTech and BUIS.

Any suggestions on a quad rail or I've heard a bit about a tri-rail.

Thanks for EVERYONES help for this rooky. Hope I can pay it forward in the future
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:25:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Hey walt, can you post a pic of what your current set-up looks like?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:29:42 AM EDT
[#16]

You need to learn to shoot right-handed.  I'm left-handed and right-eye dominant, and I started out trying to shoot left-handed.  It didn't take long before I realized that eye-dominance is MUCH more important than hand-dominance when shooting a rifle.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:36:38 AM EDT
[#17]
I've heard that learning to shoot using whatever side is your dominant eye is the easiest- Since we're talking about an EOTech and not irons though you may do well just keeping both eyes open (you are doing that right? with these sights you keep both eyes open- makes life much easier, and fwiw I shoot irons and scopes with both eyes open too)

Try with both eyes open- you should be able to see the reticle just fine- eventually I'm sure your brain will work stuff out.

WV huh... if I wasn't at school I'd offer to run down and do some shooting with ya. How long have you been shooting for?

-Roth
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:55:54 AM EDT
[#18]
I used to shoot a bow left handed.  When I got into college, the instructor checked me and said I had a right dominant eye and would be a more consistent shooter if I changed.  It didn't take long to get used to it.

Just try it in the house for a week.  Keep shouldering the gun and aiming.  Also practice sweeping the muzzle around.  I bet it won't take long.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:47:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Another solution to keep from hitting the handgard is to purchase a mount for the Eotech that will clear it. You would then have enough room for the buis.
If your handgard is an M4 type, you might consider the Magpul MOE handgard that rides lower.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 6:13:17 AM EDT
[#20]
when I was about 9 I begged Dad for a BB gun he said no way and got me a bolt action 22. To a kid it was a GUN where a BB gun was a toy. I learned respect for a weapon. I never did much with it though. Then I had a family and the threat of an intruder ahd the 22 was just no home defense so I got a Browning BPS, but I never did a thing with it. Then this election came up and I got concerned. I took a CCP class last October. Since then I have purchased 4 handguns ( 5 if you count the one I got for my GF) a Benelli M4 shotgun and now the AR. So, serriously shooting since last October!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top