Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/10/2006 11:02:55 AM EDT
I would like to get an EOTech to mount on my handguards. I'm wondering if, with my A1 upper, I'd be able to used the EOTech unit. Most rifles I see are A3 flat top. Before I buy, anyone using the EOTech with A1 or A2 upper?

Pictures would be great.

Thanks,
Steve
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:38:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Steve,
I don't use my EOTechs with my A1 upper - however if I were going to do that I'd do one of two things.

Either:
1) Get a FF railed forend where the rail was the same height as a flattop and mount it there (i.e. DD, LaRue, Troy, Sampson).

2) Get a Bernie-Cooley adjustable gooseneck mount.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:55:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm going to get Sampson, but my real concern is whether the A1 carry handle will obstruct the view of the EOTech.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:51:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm going to get Sampson, but my real concern is whether the A1 carry handle will obstruct the view of the EOTech.

W/o a riser the sights will be dead center of the optic.  You can look OVER the sights and still see the reticule in the upper part of the display.  It works, but there is a better way IMHO.

With a small riser (like the YHM EOTech 1/4" riser) the sight will be raised just enough so you have a clear view OVER the sights, but the irons will still be useable through the lower 1/3 of the display.

The height of the riser is imporant 99.99% of the risers are too tall (0.5") the only two on the market that will work in this situation are the YHM and the LaRue.  One warning, the LaRue will only work if you get the 511 or 551 model (N battery version) as the AA model is too long when using the LaRue mount for use on the handguards (yes I've tried it).
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:30:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the same problem Right now I have my EO mounted on the carry handle, but this is only temporary.  I've been looking at the Bennie Cooley, but it looks like flemsy.  the A.R.M.S #39A looks a little stouter.  I've thought about a free float tube but that sounds like more work to install.

Will any of these work with a Carbine
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:28:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've been looking at the Bennie Cooley, but it looks like flemsy.

It's not

the A.R.M.S #39A looks a little stouter.  

Too bad it's not at the right height for an EOTech...

I've thought about a free float tube but that sounds like more work to install.

The Troy & Sampson units are fairly easy to install (especially if you have a dremel - you won't need to remove the barrel) as they don't require removal of the front sight base.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:28:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank's  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:11:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I used to have one mounted on an A2 with the PRI eotech gooseneck.  It was solid and well built.  I think there is one in the optics section of the EE right now for $75, retail is somewhere over 100.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top