Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/6/2006 6:52:00 AM EDT
I have NEVER seen a pic of an EOThing mounted with the hex bolt....they always have the knurled weaver bolt instead. Just wondered why this was. I had mine installed with the "thumbscrew" but switched to the hex bolt for ease of installation and cleaner look. Only possible downside I see is the clamping pressure is moved from the protector hood to the inner screw hole itself, which does not have that composite washer. Just curious.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:12:55 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have NEVER seen a pic of an EOThing mounted with the hex bolt....they always have the knurled weaver bolt instead. Just wondered why this was. I had mine installed with the "thumbscrew" but switched to the hex bolt for ease of installation and cleaner look. Only possible downside I see is the clamping pressure is moved from the protector hood to the inner screw hole itself, which does not have that composite washer. Just curious.

When I'm out, I usually don't have a full set of tools with me. A nickle and some finger pressure can get the knob loose if needed.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:27:12 AM EDT
[#2]
...which is why I used the weaver bolt to begin with, but I found that the site would work itself bewteen the slots on my teflon impeg. upper if I didn't tighten it down with the aid of needle nose pliers on the coin, thus eliminating it's "quick release" purpose anyway. Since I have a BUIS, I don't see a need to ever remove the site anyway.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:14:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I found the same problems with my 552 so I use the hex bolt.  A GG&G mount would solve this problem.  But since I have BUIS I don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:43:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When I'm out, I usually don't have a full set of tools with me. A nickle and some finger pressure can get the knob loose if needed.

+1

I haven't had any problems with mine staying in place.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#5]
mines on a qd larue so i used the hex bolt
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:18:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I haven't had any problems with mine staying in place.

WIZZO

Me neither. But like anything else, I do a quick check of everything before I head out/shoot. Are all knobs tight, lubed, safety works, trigger falls, etc. etc. However, I have not had a problem with the knurled knob coming loose on my Bushmaster upper.

Maybe your upper just has too nice of a finish!?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:17:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
mines on a qd larue so i used the hex bolt

+1
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:25:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I used the knurled bolts until I got my GG&G Accucams.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top