Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/17/2003 3:49:29 AM EDT
I plan to use my new AR for home def/target shooting, but will also use it for varmint/coyote shooting several times per year. I'm tempted to go with the ACOG and its 4x magnification, but I'm a bit concerned about $$$. Would the EOTech or Aimpoint be practical (read: accurate) at hunting distances?
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 5:12:19 AM EDT
If you're going to go for precision (ie: varmit stuff) the EOTech will be a better option with the 1 MOA dot in the middle. The Aimpoint has a 3 or 4 MOA dot, which is great for quick up-close-and-personal types of things, but not so hot for precision at longer ranges. The EOtech will serve you much better in home defense type situations. Also remember, you can always get quick-detach equipment for the ACOG. :) The EOTech has somewhat of a reputation of not re-zero'ing exactly, so it may be worth it to invest in another upper reciever if you can. All for all, I think the EOTech's are a great option. I have 4 of them now!
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 8:04:39 AM EDT
For varmint shooting which is a small target of ranges out to 200-300 yards you will need some magnification. If you don't get the ACOG you could get the Eotech for short range/home defence stuff and get a variable power Leupold or something like that for the long shots.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 8:34:52 AM EDT
Based on your post, it sounds like you're looking for an optic that can do two contradictory things well. For home defense, distances are going to be very short and what you want is something that excells at enabling you to acquire the target quickly, possibly in low light situations. An Eotech or an Aimpoint excell at this. A high powered scope does not. For varmints you will be shooting at small targets from significant distances. You need magnification and a reticle that will not completely obsucre the target. High powered scopes excell at this. Eotechs and Aimpoints do not. Therefore, you can do one of three things. One, decide which use is most important to you and buy the optic that is best for this application. Two, buy the optic that represents the best compromise between your two intended functions - which in this case that would clearly be an ACOG. (ACOG are actually pretty amazing as the BAC really enables you to effectively use a scope with some magnification in close quarters situations. Three, buy a Eotech or Aimpoint and a moderately priced long range scope and switch between them depending on use. (Since ACOGS are so expensive this option would be about as expensive as purchase of ACOG).
Top Top