Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2003 11:42:03 AM EDT
I just received an EOTech that I mounted on my AK Shorty yesterday.  It appears the Recticle is not as sharp as I thought it would be - it appears somewhat fuzzy.  This unit is a brand-new unit with the "E" revisions I got from Mirage Technologies.

Is this normal?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:59:50 AM EDT
[#1]
This is a pretty common comment on eotechs.  The bright holographic reticle is not going to be as sharp as a physical marking on the glass like an acog.  You will probably find it is a lot sharper if you turn down the brightness, just like the dot in an aimpoint.  Even though it is a bit fuzzy, the eotech is my favorite for close shooting.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:51:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Fiz is right on about the brightness.  Make sure you're focusing on the target too ...if you try to "look" at the reticle, it gets very fuzzy.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:25:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:27:20 AM EDT
[#4]
The comment about turning down the briteness is spot on.  

Just turn down the intensity.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:33:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Remember, BOTH eyes open.  
Concentrate on your TARGET, not the EoTech.  

Hope this helps you, YMMV.

>Hi Troy!<
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:56:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks so much for the replies .... At least I now know there is nothing wrong with my EOTech.  

As far as keeping both eyes open, unfortunately I am a right-handed shooter with a left dominant eye.  It literally drives me nuts to even attempt to use both eyes ....
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:09:19 PM EDT
[#7]
In addition to the above comments: your eyesight might not be as good as you think it is. I have prescription eyglasses that I seldom ever wear
(I don't need them for driving and the only time I do wear them is at the range).

I also thought the reticle was too fuzzy. Once I put the glasses on there was a world of difference in the sharpness.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:32:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Also, remember that the Eotech reticle is a laser illuminated hologram, thus producing a "grainy" image. This is due to the interference patterns formed by the action of the coherent laser light. Think back to the old high school physics experiment that used the wave tray with the slots in it. This "graininess" is often interpreted as "fuzziness". An unfortunate limitation of the selected reticle technology.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 3:04:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As far as keeping both eyes open, unfortunately I am a right-handed shooter with a left dominant eye.  It literally drives me nuts to even attempt to use both eyes ....
View Quote

If this is true ya should be shooting lefty, using your dominant eye. You'll shoot better with both eyes open. Alot of us are like this.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:00:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

If this is true ya should be shooting lefty, using your dominant eye. You'll shoot better with both eyes open. Alot of us are like this.

Mike
View Quote

Agreed.  I'm also right-handed and left eye dominant and I shoot long guns left-handed.  It's really not that difficult to get used to once you've set your mind to it.  For me, it was just natural...the first time I picked up an M16 in the Army, I shouldered it as a lefty (even though I had shot righty up to that point though I was hardly an "experienced" shooter).  I can shoot very well either way but it now definitely feels "strange" to be shooting on my strong side.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:20:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I suffer from the same problem, right handed but left eye dominant.... I have a pre-ban 16" flat-top with a EOTech 552 mounted on the receiver, and find that when I mount the weapon, I am not able to even see the recticle with my left eye, as the hood actually blocks it from view. I have no problem shooting the weapon right handed and with both eyes open.

Dave
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:13:21 PM EDT
[#12]
When I first got my EOTech I was concerned about the fuzziness which is really aparent on the outer ring when you crank up the brighness (too far).  But all the above comments are correct, keep the brightnes down (this allows you to see the target better too) and focus on the target.  I rarely notice any 'fuzz' or glare now.  I had it out just this past Monday (Memorial Day) and had some real tight groups out at 100 yards.  I like it for everything from real close out to 200 yards, that small dot is good for accuracy and no way you could "not find it"!
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:47:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I am near sighted.  But as is well known, most shooters who wear glasses can shoot peeps without glasses.  The small aperture focuses the target, much like a pinhole camera.  So, I learned to shoot without glasses.  Same with a scope.

Taking your glasses off, or flipping them up at the range or hunting is OK, but will not work when things go bump in the night.

So, when I got the Eotech, I was concerned with the fuzzy reticle.  I mounted it to my flattop carbine, and quickly discoverd that with my glasses, and both eyes open, looking at the target, not the reticle, the Eotech's reticle was sharp.  This is MY sight!!!  I quickly ordered two more for my other flattops.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 1:38:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Does anyone make a forward mount to raise the eotech up I have an AR15 a2 fixed carry handle and it seems to get in the way of aiming.thnxs
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 2:42:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Does anyone make a forward mount to raise the eotech up I have an AR15 a2 fixed carry handle and it seems to get in the way of aiming.thnxs
View Quote

[img]http://www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/TREXPO03/EOTech5.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/TREXPO03/EOTech4.jpg[/img]

This is the BC CAM gooseneck mount it is highly recommanded by EOTech. You can find them at [url]www.swfa.com[/url] under the EOTech page in the mount section.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Thnxs,the Arms mount #39 is that the same setup.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:08:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Do all the rev E's have that LEO/MIL use statement on the side?
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:03:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thnxs,the Arms mount #39 is that the same setup.
View Quote

ARMS #39 is the same setup, but I don't know if the mount will co-witness with EOTech, I have never tried it.  

Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 1:10:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.
View Quote

One more scary looking thing to make the anti's cringe. I'm tempted to upgrade just for that.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:06:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thanks so much for the replies .... At least I now know there is nothing wrong with my EOTech.  

View Quote

If you're using the EOTech for CQB you need to learn the both eyes open method. It also improves your ability to shoot strong/weak side. You'll tend to favor the strong side less and make left/right transitions smoother and faster.

I'm all screwed up when it comes to left/right dominance. I write left handed but do everything else right handed. I'm faster shooting right handed but more steady left handed. Learning to use both eyes has actually helped me improve in both areas.

That said, I tend to use one eye when making long (100 meters+) shots with an EOTech. It helps me keep focus on distant targets.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top