Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2014 5:34:50 AM EDT
Hey guys,

I'm considering picking up an EOTech 512. I do realise it's an older model, but it's all I can get here in NZ currently. I am looking for an optic that I can really depend on.

What have your experiences been? Worth buying? I am currently running a Redfield Counterstrike, but I am not too impressed with the glare and emissions from the transmitter. It just doesn't seem to be a quality sight.

Cheers,

Dom
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:44:59 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DomHS:
Hey guys,

I'm considering picking up an EOTech 512. I do realise it's an older model, but it's all I can get here in NZ currently. I am looking for an optic that I can really depend on.

What have your experiences been? Worth buying? I am currently running a Redfield Counterstrike, but I am not too impressed with the glare and emissions from the transmitter. It just doesn't seem to be a quality sight.

Cheers,

Dom
View Quote
If you're looking for an optic can depend on consider an aimpoint or a trijicon model. The eotech doesn't even come close to the reliability of either of those two. The battery life of the aimpoints and tritium/fiber optics of an acog model are to be reckoned with.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:48:54 AM EDT
I had a 512 and liked it a lot. Battery life is reported to be pretty terrible but they lasted me a year going to the range twice a month.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:50:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/25/2014 6:51:00 AM EDT by Mike_314]
I have one, I like it a lot.

I take it out from time to time and shoot falling plates with it and sometimes use it on the 100 yrd range for steel.

It works well, the optics are clear, and I haven't used up a lot of batteries. I don't leave it on all the time.

I have astigmatism, so the picture on it is a lot better than an aimpoint for me.

The aimpoint 3x magnifier works on it too, if adding that later is a consideration,

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:47:34 AM EDT
ive had a few 512's over the years. Ive never had any issues with them. I currently upgraded to an EOTech EXPS 2-0. I alos have an Aimpoint PRO which I like very much.
I would say yes, I would have no issues trusting my like to an EOTech 512. they work great.

-Tom
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:55:23 AM EDT
I have a couple of 512s and 3 Aimpoints.
The 512 is a great sight. As noted it is a battery muncher if you leave it on all the time. ( I avoid this by Turning them off) The Upside is that it takes AA batteries. I like the dot in the Circle Reticle as it dwars my eye to the target quickly and is easier for me to make a shot on a moving target with.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:58:50 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nhgunnut:
I have a couple of 512s and 3 Aimpoints.
The 512 is a great sight. As noted it is a battery muncher if you leave it on all the time. ( I avoid this by Turning them off) The Upside is that it takes AA batteries. I like the dot in the Circle Reticle as it dwars my eye to the target quickly and is easier for me to make a shot on a moving target with.
View Quote

i only have one aimpoint otherwise a plus 1
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:32:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/25/2014 10:40:41 AM EDT by THEARWIZARD]
Originally Posted By therealdonjohnson:
If you're looking for an optic can depend on consider an aimpoint or a trijicon model. The eotech doesn't even come close to the reliability of either of those two. The battery life of the aimpoints and tritium/fiber optics of an acog model are to be reckoned with.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Hey guys,

Cheers,

Dom

EOTechs are reliable

Edited to not waste my time
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:50:45 AM EDT
I have a 512 that I've owned since 2006. I've only used lithium batteries which have a good track record with EoTech's.
As long as you remember to turn it off when done, the battery life isn't that much of an issue.
One downside is if you're going to put a magnifier behind it the controls being in the back can be inconvenient unless you have the magnifier on a "swing to side" mount.
It's a good reticle, the center dot being 1 moa, doesn't cover too much of the target at longer distances. In addition the circle does offer some range finding capabilities.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:04:05 PM EDT
Originally Posted By THEARWIZARD:

EOTechs are reliable

View All Quotes
Hey guys,

Cheers,

Dom

EOTechs are reliable

I think in SHTF terms not practical ones. So sorry to offend you.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:06:09 PM EDT
Ive been using one for 5 years and I like it alot no issues.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:09:26 PM EDT
I have a 512 and I bloody LOVE it.

Use Lithium batteries, change them once a year and forget about it.

They are great sights. The XPS series is even better.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:19:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/25/2014 7:19:26 PM EDT by Brutus2]
go with the XPS, better in just about every way.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:11:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/25/2014 8:14:48 PM EDT by RJeff21]
View All Quotes
Hey guys,

Cheers,

Dom

EOTechs are reliable

Meh, how much real hands on experience do you have with Eotechs and to be more specific, with them failing?

Every brand is going to have their issues.

I could tell you multiple stories of Aimpoints breaking. Usually the intensity adjustment knob shearing off. This is between the Comp M2, M4 and M4S. Seen it happen to all of them. .......that may be because I work in an Armory with over 200 Aimpoints.

Truth of the matter is, optics (no matter who makes them) are able to be broken. It happens.

Now, you'll never hear me say that an Aimpoint is a bad optic. Quite the contrary. The one that is on MY work rifle has never broken and it stays turned on every time I pull it for 12 hours at a time (3-4 times a week.) Always stays zeroed and damn near bulletproof.

Same can be said for Eotech. I've owned three different personal Eotechs. Two 553's (one of them a used 2006 manufacture) and one EXPS-3-0. I never once had an issue with abnormal battery drain and I trekked around the woods hiking and hunting with them (basically beating them to shit) and they never broke.

To OP, you will be well served by a 512. They are a good optic and I quite like the AA battery feature. As long as the battery contacts look good on it (I'm assuming it's used) then I'd say go for it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:03:02 AM EDT
Aimpoints are nice. If you want to buy an aimpoint, I HIGHLY recommend buying it from the larue site since you get the mount for free. I bought my ML3 from Larue directly and got a mount for free in their combo deal.

I love my EOTech 512. I never experienced battery issues though. I have a stock that allows me to put batteries in so I just use those and then when I leave the range I take the batteries out and put them back into the stock. To say the least, I never had experienced a battery outage at the range in the middle of shooting.

Even with the battery problem corrected by L3, the EOTech is still not as good in terms of battery life compared to an aimpoint. For example, the eotech 512 shuts off after 8 hours and you have to turn it back on. Some folks don't like it.

For me, the major problem with EOTech is real estate space on the rifle. If you just want a 1x sight, then the eotech is fine. I personally love the big reticle it produces compared to the small dot on the aimpoint. The problem I ran into was magnification. I got the multiplier but I really hated how much space was taken up. I went with another optic though.

To say the least I was happy with it and always loved to use it. I have repurposed my eotech and still use it. As I said in another thread today, I use it in front of my acog to give illumination. It's very nice addition and complements the acog well. I did that only due to me not wanting to waste money on a unused device.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:20:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/27/2014 9:40:32 PM EDT by DomHS]
Thanks guys so much for all your help. Really appreciate it - I will be buying an EOTech 512!

Dom
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:58:52 PM EDT
View All Quotes
Hey guys,

Cheers,

Dom

Gotta respectfully disagree with the Aimpoint deal here. Having used an Aimpoint M68 CCO, ACOG, and numerous EOTechs on work and personal guns, I 'd say the Aimpoint comes in dead-ass last (and that's putting it nicely).

I've had a 512 for years and it's a stud! AA batteries are also really easy to find which gives that a big plus in my book.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:06:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Tommycanada:
ive had a few 512's over the years. Ive never had any issues with them. I currently upgraded to an EOTech EXPS 2-0. I alos have an Aimpoint PRO which I like very much.
I would say yes, I would have no issues trusting my like to an EOTech 512. they work great.

-Tom
View Quote

Gotta ask? Which do you like better . I was on the fence with the two . I wanted 1/3 co witness

And went with the exps2-0. Over the pro with a Larue mount . The aim point with the laure mount
Would have been $140 more all said and done .
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:42:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2014 4:43:28 PM EDT by therealdonjohnson]
Originally Posted By 10centPistolero:

Gotta respectfully disagree with the Aimpoint deal here. Having used an Aimpoint M68 CCO, ACOG, and numerous EOTechs on work and personal guns, I 'd say the Aimpoint comes in dead-ass last (and that's putting it nicely).

I've had a 512 for years and it's a stud! AA batteries are also really easy to find which gives that a big plus in my book.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 10centPistolero:
Hey guys,

Cheers,

Dom

Well sir IM going to have to disagree with YOUR post BLAHYDHDHFISIOWJDDB. Not only on paper but also in real life the aimpoint has better battery life and all that great shit. My comp m4 and m4s both take AA so put that in your pipe and smoke it. Aren't the 512s the ones with all the lead disconnect problems?

When it comes down to it I guess these posts are just a collection of personal experiences and eveyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:16:16 PM EDT
Had one for a couple years, loved it. Sold it for an ACOG, but my Dad has it now and it's been 100% for him.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 11:48:24 AM EDT
My eotech 512 works fine.. The battery life is fine - I use my rechargables and it lasted like 1 year on one charge going to the range twice a month. I have shot many hogs in the head with these sights in low light environment. Nothing against Aim point - I actually want a micro just for giggles, and the battery life is ABOVE and beyond the eotech just a preference. I will say I got mine on the recommendation of a Special missions unit army friend of mine.. His eotech was on his HK416 D.. It worked fine for him. Just sayin.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:45:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/8/2014 12:50:19 PM EDT by VBC]
I have Aimpoints, ACOGs and EOTechs. I just bought two more EOTechs. A 516 and a XPS 2-0.

I love them. I find it's easy to get into the habit of turning them on and they shut off automatically after either 4 hours or 8 hours of button inactivity -- your choice. If you want it to turn off automatically after 4 hours of button inactivity, then turn it on with the brightness "down" button. If you want it to shut-off automatically after 8 hours, then turn it on with the brightness "up" button. If you want to turn it off by yourself, press both buttons at same time.

There is no quicker sight for close quarters targets IMO. And of course, it being parallax free means your eye can be anywhere looking through that wide screen, but as long as the dot on target, it's going to hit.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 3:13:51 PM EDT
I have had a 512 since 2008. I never had a battery issue. It holds a zero well and I was able to hit a paper target headshot at 100 meters. The reticle is sometimes hard to see with the sun to your back. Mine recently went fuzzy and I could only see the reticle when the rifle was tilted at 45 degrees. I contacted Eotech and they are fixing it for free. I can't wait to get back. There customer service is good.

DPMS Lower
Magpul Fixed Carbine Stock
LWRC M6A2 upper w/ SEI MB
EoTech 512

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 6:06:54 PM EDT
I used to own a 512, and a 552 (same thing except NV version). No issues with the 512. The 552 had battery problems. It would cut off sometimes when I would shoot. I had to send it back for repairs twice. After the second time, I sold it. I sold the 512 because I wanted something smaller (Got a T1). I would say the 512 is a high quality piece of gear. Not my favorite, but it is high quality. I think Eotech's customer service is top notch.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 6:37:47 PM EDT
Leave batteries in the 512 at all times, or you will have problems with the rubber bumper that secures the battery contacts becoming dislodged from the unit. The spring tension of the battery contacts will eventually dislodge the bumper if the batteries are not in place to overcome that pushing-force from the springs.

Alkaline batteries left in a 512 will leak sooner than you would expect.

Use lithium batteries ONLY, or you will have damage from battery leakage.

The 512 is supposed to turn itself off after 4 hours of non-usage. I'm not sure how the sight knows when 4 hours is up.
Batteries will last longer if you remember to turn it off manually.
Co-witness of iron sights is good in case you need to shoot before you can get the damn thing turned back on.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:32:45 PM EDT
Tell every special forces unit in the military that you see rocking EoTechs that they are unreliable.

I know they get an abundance of free batteries and shit, but most military guys just take what gun stuff they like and dont know a whole lot about it. I can vouch that every marsoc cat i saw had either an elcan or an older model eotech. Both of which get flamed a good deal around here.

They are great optics, mine has held up to a bunch of shit in 4 years of owning it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 1:55:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2014 2:02:46 AM EDT by g300d]
I had a 512 for some time, it was ok. I've seen some with problems though, like one with the reticle fading in certain areas of the window and some with battery drain issues, especially with early models. I suggest getting a Revision N model, it's the most likely to be bug-free.

ETA: consider too that if ever you need to have it serviced, being OCONUS might make it a bitch. Mainly because of this I decided to switch to an Aimpoint Micro 2moa. I much prefer the EoTech reticle but reliability trumps that for me, especially with no place to service either where I am.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 6:36:30 AM EDT
^ You are exactly right Bakke1.. As I said the SMU guy I know swears by it, and he was at Kyle Lambs retirement if that gives you an idea of the crew he ran with -and his opinion on guns, and optics is solid in my opinion.. Everyone has their own opinion on what they like, and or dont like.. I know if I had the money I would have bought a different Eotech, but the 512 suits my needs.. I should also note I bought my 512 for 350 bucks, and the aimpoint was going for 500+. I would highly recommend you ask someone at a gun store to let you see a 512 mounted on a empty rifle to get a feel for it and see if that is something you want. If you were in North Florida jacksonville area I'd offer to let you fire off some rounds with mine.

Also goto www.slickguns.com search for eotech 512 - I found this one for 313.00 after a mail in 50.00 rebate.. http://www.slickguns.com/product/another-great-deal-eotech-512-a65-hws-34349-after-50-mir-30-bh-gift-card-free-sh-34349

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:49:50 PM EDT
I have a 512 and a PRO on two identical 14.5" barreled rifles. I prefer the PRO. The single dot is just easier for me.

I just ordered a Vortex SPARC 2 for my 11.5" BCM SBR, $199 with a free $25 gift card with B&H Photo. I'll be using the gift card to buy a second one if I like it for my other. 11.5" SBR.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 8:17:20 PM EDT
Thanks guys so much for all your help. Really appreciate it - I will be buying an EOTech 512!

Dom
View Quote

Glad to hear it. You will not be disappointed, but I still recommend that you get one of each to see what works best for you. My Aimpoint stays on my HD carbine, my Trijicon will remain a singleton pruchase and my Eotech collection will continue to grow. To each his own, but if battery life is not an issue, EoTech is much faster for me to pick up and put rounds on target. And if you like the 512, please look in to an XPS2. A magnifier with a good mount makes this sight an all-around optic for me.

There is also good reason that these are used most often by those with bottomless budgets who walk the walk. I'm not a "OMG!!!one!1! If <insert favorite tier 0 operator here> do this then so should i!!" fanboy, but in this case, they are right. And hell, half of the time, they rely on muscle memory anyways... and that is being generous.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:39:43 PM EDT
Just got my Eotech back. Fixed and returned in less than a week. Better than ever. Fixed for free 5 years after purchase
Top Top