Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2007 7:16:54 PM EST
Are Aimpoint/Eotech type devices toast in the event of a large EMP? I would imagine so . . .
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:08:18 PM EST
Dogg, an Electromagnetic Pulse strong enough to fry the solid-state, analog electronics in your optics would also be enough to vaporize the metals which compose it. An EMP only exists within the blast radius of a tragically-ginormous atomic explosion.

That, or a Gamma Ray Burst. And in the event of a Gamma Ray Burst, the little red dots atop your rifles would pretty much the last things on your mind, what with how they tend to sterlilze entire solar systems and all.

Where the hell are you kids these days getting your information about EMP anyway? Is it from the movies? Goldeneye was a work of fiction, you know this right? Don't tell me that you got your notions from the Wikipedia. That place is full of equal parts lies and bullshit.

Man, rather than worrying about an EMP, you should be worrying about things that could actually exist in the realm of probability like zombie uprisings, robot revolts or alien invasions. All three of these scenarios are more likely to occur than an Electromagnetic Pulse attack.

And still, learn to use your irons. They were put on your rifle for a reason, buckwheat.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:19:31 PM EST

Originally Posted By MeanSteve:
Dogg, an Electromagnetic Pulse strong enough to fry the solid-state, analog electronics in your optics would also be enough to vaporize the metals which compose it. An EMP only exists within the blast radius of a tragically-ginormous atomic explosion.

That, or a Gamma Ray Burst. And in the event of a Gamma Ray Burst, the little red dots atop your rifles would pretty much the last things on your mind, what with how they tend to sterlilze entire solar systems and all.

Where the hell are you kids these days getting your information about EMP anyway? Is it from the movies? Goldeneye was a work of fiction, you know this right? Don't tell me that you got your notions from the Wikipedia. That place is full of equal parts lies and bullshit.

Man, rather than worrying about an EMP, you should be worrying about things that could actually exist in the realm of probability like zombie uprisings, robot revolts or alien invasions. All three of these scenarios are more likely to occur than an Electromagnetic Pulse attack.

And still, learn to use your irons. They were put on your rifle for a reason, buckwheat.

but the guy on futureweapons said so, so it has to be true.
I have it on good authority that an EMP won't affect the safe queens locked in the safe in your mom's basement underground bunker. Besides it is highly unlikely that the emp will happen the precise moment you are fondling your gun rifle on the toilet.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 10:22:16 PM EST

Originally Posted By whs78:

I have it on good authority that an EMP won't affect the safe queens locked in the safe in your mom's basement underground bunker. Besides it is highly unlikely that the emp will happen the precise moment you are fondling your gun rifle on the toilet.

thanks dick
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 10:28:14 PM EST

Originally Posted By MercuryHayze:

thanks dick

Thanks, I think you have me confused with somebody else. It wasn't directed at you but the mallninjas and airsofter that troll the boards.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 10:30:22 PM EST
ha, it's cool . . . to be honest I worry about zombie and/or robot attack also.

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 10:34:09 PM EST
Glad I'm not the only one.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:35:14 AM EST

Originally Posted By MercuryHayze:

thanks dick

Grammer Nazi here:
You forgot capitalization and punctuation. What you should have written was 'Thanks, dick!'

Now isn't that better?

I own an Aimpoint. That rifle has trituim night sights also. I'm not really worried about EMP, since I don't watch Jericho, but everything has a non-zero chance of failure.

BTW, our other rilfe scopes are EMP proof: ELCAN and a ACOG. Sometimes radioactivity is your friend. If you must have a non-electronic capable red dot, check out the PK-AS or the Trijicon Tripower. BSW
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:13:10 PM EST

all of what is stated above is completely and utterly incorrect.

Where the hell are you kids these days getting your information about EMP anyway?

i have to ask the same question of you after reading the text quoted above.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:21:35 PM EST
now wait one second,you can generate an EMP without an atomic blast. all it is is a release of stored up energy, it is just normally associated with things like an atomic weapon, because its a BIG source of energy
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:45:13 PM EST
If you're that worried, wrap your aimpoint in conductive mesh wire and make sure its on a well grounded tether wherever you go. It might seem silly, but you'll have the last laugh when everyone has a dead aimpoint at the shooting range after an EMP and you're still squeezing off 1MOA groups
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:53:29 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/25/2007 2:54:13 PM EST by Bigger_Hammer]
What I'd like to know is what the .GOV & .MIL know in testing these units.

I mean, we are putting them on every friggen rifle so if a not so friendly opponent (pretend that China decided to let loose with an EMP blast over Taiwan - they have the H-Bomb and the means to position it at optimum alitude) would the .MIL suddenly have 300,000+ paperweights sitting on all of our Combat Rifles or what?

Yes, a weapon in an enclosed metal receptical that is insulated / not touching the metal is protected from EMP, but a weapon locked in the gun safe is not doing me much protection either.

What is the word on this from our .MIL vets? SOMEONE up the chain / in the service had to test the EoTech & AimPoint especially for Eletrical Effect.

Anyone with REAL KNOWLEGE of this please Sound Off!!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:21:31 PM EST

Originally Posted By Bigger_Hammer:

I mean, we are putting them on every friggen rifle so if a not so friendly opponent (pretend that China decided to let loose with an EMP blast over Taiwan - they have the H-Bomb and the means to position it at optimum alitude) would the .MIL suddenly have 300,000+ paperweights sitting on all of our Combat Rifles or what?

Yes, a weapon in an enclosed metal receptical that is insulated / not touching the metal is protected from EMP, but a weapon locked in the gun safe is not doing me much protection either.

What is the word on this from our .MIL vets? SOMEONE up the chain / in the service had to test the EoTech & AimPoint especially for Eletrical Effect.

BIGGER_HAMMER

I'm sure an EMP blast by China would be to make our Aimpoints all die.
It wouldn't be to take out GPS or anything like that. Nah, they fear our Aimpoints.

But we showed them. The USMC uses ACOGs.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 12:53:44 PM EST

Originally Posted By Bigger_Hammer:

BIGGER_HAMMER

Why not fire off an email to them and ask.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:58:09 PM EST
EOTechs are already pretty well shielded just by their construction. I don't think things like NVGs and EOTechs are very susceptible to EMP effects.
The amount of damaging current the EMP induces in a device is proportional to the length of the conductors in the device. Electro-optics and NVGs are pretty small, have no long conductors (antennae) and no electrically fragile componets.
Night vision is absolutley essential to the function of the US military and they don't take any special precautions, so I'm guessing NVGs are pretty resistant to EMP effects.
Top Top