Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 6:08:27 PM EDT
Too much information! OK. I have finished the Lower Assy. Pretty basic stuff including an M4 type CMT telescoping stock. That GT lower receiver is very nice and the CMT lower parts kit is slick. Now I'm pondering uppers. I get it that the M4 ramps to increase reliability feeding in Auto but this will only be Semi...I don't see the need for the M4 profile barrel as I never intend to mount a grenade launcher on it and I'm really torn over the upper. flat top? A2 style? do I plan to mount optics? I'm leaning towards a 16" HBAR with the A3 upper and a removable carrying handle in case I ever do decide to mount say an eotech or the like but the cut barrel would serve no pratical purpose. I'm a paycheck to paycheck guy so I pick up a part here and another there then assemble as I get it all together. Looks like the Barrel will be the priciest part. What's the deal with the Bushy barrel? I always understood they made a fine product. I would appreciate your experienced input. Thanks.                                                                                                                   Hill
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:20:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I like  Bushy bbls alot. They shoot very well. I have several, including a 16" HBAR. I really like the carbine, and it's a real tackdriver, but it's a lot heavier than my other carbines. As a result, it doesn't go out as often as its buddies that are lighter. I've thought about scoping it and putting a bipod on it, sort of making a po' man's DMR out of it, coz it's soooo gosh darn accurate. Like you, I am not made of money, and if you are going to have only one AR for a while, I would recommend that you reconsider the decision to go with the HBAR. There are other configurations that maybe more versitile for your needs, but you didn't state your needs/expectations for this carbine.

Just my .02!

ETA: Good call on the M4 ramps! You don't need them to have a reliable weapon, and Bushmaster doesn't offer them anyway. Yes, I do have an M4gery that has the ramps, but I have not noticed that it feeds any better than the Bushy bbls without...
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:59:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Spectre1. Yeah I'm looking at the Gov't style barrel as well and can appreciate the weight reduction. Hell I may have to do the M4gery thing too it's just not really practical and I really appreciate function. I'm trying to justify the need for that cut barrel..maybe I can mount something on it?hinking.gif...now that's justification!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Every H-BAR I've had, I've thought was too heavy! Get what you want, as you should, but I really think you'd like the M4 or Gov't profile barrels better, and for sure get the A3 flat-top upper w/removeable carry handle, that you won't regret! IMHO!

Good Luck!

teamroper
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:55:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks Spectre1. Yeah I'm looking at the Gov't style barrel as well and can appreciate the weight reduction. Hell I may have to do the M4gery thing too it's just not really practical and I really appreciate function. I'm trying to justify the need for that cut barrel..maybe I can mount something on it?...now that's justification!

Well, as I see it, the m203 cut is just a cosmetic blem. It's ugly, and I don't have, nor do I intend to get, an M203. The real cut I worry about is the one you can't see, under the handguards. That's you weight savings, and gives me as close as I can get to a midweight 14.5" bbl. I really don't like the look of the profile, but I'm looking at overall end results. It's lighter than an HBAR, heavier than a SL, and I'll probably end up with a 3rd by the end of the year...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top