Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/20/2003 11:39:38 PM EDT
I'm considering starting a crusade to convince the managers in my division to switch to a higher performance .223 load for our AR's. Current issue is Winchester Super-X CXP1 55 gr. pointed soft point (for varmints!). I know we could be doing a lot better, but I'm not going to be able to just walk into a manager's office and exclaim "somebody on the AR-15 forum said that we should be using XYZ." It's going to take some hard data from the likes of the FBI, ATF, U.S. Marshalls, etc. to make the case (I also work for a federal agency, but it's not immediately associated with law enforcement in most circles). I've heard that the FBI has done some extensive testing, anyone know where I could access this kind of info? At the very least, it could be useful to know what these agencies are currently using.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 12:46:46 AM EDT
[#1]
In .223, the FBI issues Federal Gold Medal Match 69gr SMK BTHP.  Not sure if there are other loads authorized, but I know for sure that this load is issued.

Andy
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 12:48:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Go to tacticalforums.com and go to the Terminal Effects forum and ask DocGKR to assist you.  He is the leading ballistics researcher in the field and will direct you to papers you can show your superiors.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 7:27:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Dittos on DocGKR

Quoted:
Current issue is Winchester Super-X CXP1 55 gr. pointed soft point (for varmints!).
View Quote

So how has this round performed? Has it failed or has it not been deployed yet?

I know there are much better rounds out there. I'm just curious if this round has been a miserable failure.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 9:54:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input. I'll do some follow up with DocGKR.  There haven't been any shootings within my agency with this round that I'm aware of, but I'm afraid the first one will be a "miserable failure."  I don't want to wait for an incident like that to bring our ammo choice into question, but it may come to that anyway.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 2:29:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input. I'll do some follow up with DocGKR.  There haven't been any shootings within my agency with this round that I'm aware of, but I'm afraid the first one will be a "miserable failure."  I don't want to wait for an incident like that to bring our ammo choice into question, but it may come to that anyway.
View Quote

Ammo selection shouldn't matter if you put it in the right spot. Shot placement is KEY.

CRC
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 9:45:29 AM EDT
[#6]
uh oh here we go
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 10:58:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Extreme Shock is the only way to go.  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 11:10:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ammo selection shouldn't matter if you put it in the right spot. Shot placement is KEY.
View Quote

Unless of course the 'Right Spot' requires the round to go through the perp's arm and through the side of the chest - which requires more penetration than a varmint round can deliver...

PinPig - Go talk with Dr Roberts.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top