Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/26/2007 6:03:09 PM EDT
What type of duty ammo does your department use ?
Trying to get ideas on what we need to carry and wanted several different options on what we will be needing, as fas as testing goes.
Looking for entry ammo as fas as clearing a house goes as well as something that can shoot through car doors or glass?
Is there one bullet that can do both ?
What brand, type of bullet and grain do you carry ?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:21:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:35:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Our Chief is one of those kind of guys, that no matter what he reads or hears about he is going to have to "Test that bad boy out" which is fine by me because we get to do alot fo HANDS ON TESTING if you know what I mean.
Just trying to get ideas on what type of ammo other departments are using because he has it lined up to start shooting through some junk cars for testing as well as some plywood, drywall and all that.
He wanted to test a couple different bullets, as well as grains to see which one he thought worked the best.
Just wondering what other departments were carried, so slim down the search to some extent, because we had a very long wait on which brand of rifle he chose. Price didn't matter, just had to "Test" every brand before buying one. Took a long time of shooting just sbout every AR on the market before he slimmed it down to the final 3 that he shot for a week.
Guess it is good to go through those types of tests, and being that picky about stuff but sure does suck when you are the "Grunts" so to speak of changing targets and cleaning weapons.
Just trying to get some general ideas on what to start looking at as far as bullet types mostly.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:42:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:50:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for that, I'll try to pick up some of the mentioned ammo for his testing.
Talking about believing what others say? We had to convence him that an auto pistol is much better than a revolver for use on duty. IE : We had to prove to him that a GLOCK was worth carrying by shooting and shooting and shooting and ............ Shooting it to prove that auto's have progressed so they don't jam. Not to mention that 15 shots is far better than 6.
Took a while but finally go the point across. He is old school and like to try stuff.
Been is law enforcement since the 60's and is a great guy to back you up on things but if he hasn't tryied it............  He will as far as equipment goes. Guess that is the old school in him.
Thanks for the post
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#5]
We use Federal TRU
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 9:56:32 PM EDT
[#6]
height=8
Quoted:
We had to prove to him that a GLOCK was worth carrying by shooting and shooting and shooting and ............ Shooting it to prove that auto's have progressed so they don't jam.

Maybe I'm ignorant, but I thought the 1911 did that long long long ago. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 10:00:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Even though I like to think I am fairly knowledgeable about ammunition performance, I wouldn't presume to give you recommendations. AR15.com is NOT where LEOs should come for their primary source of info.

Have your department get in touch with someone at the FBI Academy Ballistic Research Facility. They're the best qualified to give you recommendations.

Good gawd not to kiss the mods ass, but that has to be one of the most honest & valuable posts to answer a specific question I've seen on AR15.com.............to many times the arm chair warriors chime in and start spilling BS.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top