Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2015 8:14:50 PM EDT
Calculating the weight of my AR-15. Last part I need is:

Dust cover, rod, spring, C-clip

Does anyone have one they can weight for me?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:26:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote

20 grams or 0.70 ounces.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:29:24 PM EDT
[#2]
i saw this post, and i have to ask, why does it matter?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:19:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

20 grams or 0.70 ounces.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

20 grams or 0.70 ounces.

Thanks man!

Quoted:

Adding up the weight of my AR-15. I don't have a scale that goes higher than 2lb to weight it on, so I weighed everything out separately. I searched online for different weights, this was the last thing I needed to add and it was bugging me (didn't want to take my dust cover off)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZOQNyqi3hQOK3mNcTxoNFsHY9_42man44XdebTaPQ9Q/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true

I saved 29oz this year.

Main savings:

ACS-L to CTR
Bobro 30mm mount to Aero lightweight 30mm mount
Voodoo 16" fluted barrel to Faxon 14.5
M16 BCG to Voodoo Low mass BCG
ST-T2 to ST-T0 (just took the weights out of the buffer)
Keymod rail to MLOK
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:35:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thanks man!

Adding up the weight of my AR-15. I don't have a scale that goes higher than 2lb to weight it on, so I weighed everything out separately. I searched online for different weights, this was the last thing I needed to add and it was bugging me (didn't want to take my dust cover off)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZOQNyqi3hQOK3mNcTxoNFsHY9_42man44XdebTaPQ9Q/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true

I saved 29oz this year.

Main savings:

ACS-L to CTR
Keymod rail to MLOK
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

20 grams or 0.70 ounces.

Thanks man!

Quoted:

I saved 29oz this year.

Main savings:

ACS-L to CTR
Keymod rail to MLOK

Good to see a 14.5" put to great use!
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#5]
You should find or buy a scale that can weigh the complete rifle.  You will run into tolerance stacking issues by weighing parts separately and adding the measured weights together. Just being off a little bit high or low on the weight of an item, due to inherent variations in the scale accuracy can produce a significant variation when compared to weighing the whole rifle.

I understand what you are doing and why, and weighing each item has clear value, but the total weight savings may be different when the whole rifle is weighed.  I don't think you can say it is 29 ounces unless you weighted the complete rifle before and after.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:19:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You should find or buy a scale that can weigh the complete rifle.  You will run into tolerance stacking issues by weighing parts separately and adding the measured weights together. Just being off a little bit high or low on the weight of an item, due to inherent variations in the scale accuracy can produce a significant variation when compared to weighing the whole rifle.

I understand what you are doing and why, and weighing each item has clear value, but the total weight savings may be different when the whole rifle is weighed.  I don't think you can say it is 29 ounces unless you weighted the complete rifle before and after.
View Quote

Normally I would tend to agree, but I weigh on a Sartorius Laboratory Balance which is DAMN accurate.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:16:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll keep that in mind. These were part changes over a long period of time. Documenting each old and new part separately. I'll look into a scale.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:38:10 PM EDT
[#8]
fair enough, weight isnt an issue for me personally
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:55:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'll keep that in mind. These were part changes over a long period of time. Documenting each old and new part separately. I'll look into a scale.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The margin of error applies to the measured weight of each old part, too.  That doubles the error if you try to combine the weights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top