Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/27/2005 5:34:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/27/2005 7:08:31 AM EDT by Epsilon]
Out of these two finishes which is the most durable?

For those of you that have a firearm with a duracoat finish...how do you like it? Has it held up well?

Same questions if you have a durabake finish.

Are there any finishes that are better than Duracoat or Durabake?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:22:32 AM EDT
Both work really way. Basic durability is the same for both. The durabake just has higher heat tolerances. The coat you bake is less likely to become brittle after continous high temp.

But don't let that full you, I've never had one of my normal Duracoat finishes fail because of heat. I believe duracoat rates up to 450-500 degrees while durabake is 800.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:39:37 PM EDT
I have some stuff finished with the Durabake. It comes in a spraycan and that is a big plus to me. I baked it at the 300 degrees for 45 minutes which is a little longer than they put on the instructions. It is very forgiving and goes on easy. If you get a slight thick area when spraying it usually dries smooth after the oven.

I let mine set for three weeks after the oven because it is tough but can be scratched off with a pointed sharp object right after curing. After 3 weeks it will not come off if you want it to. They have a color called parker that is a duplicate of the early seventies Colt colors.

I have found that their matte black is more of a HK semigloss black and a bit shiny. That can be fixed by letting it cure and respraying with Krylon hi-temp flat black, letting it dry for an hour, and then rubbing down with remington gun oil. The flat krylon will stay in the pours of the Durabake finish and make it look less reflective.

I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:35:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:03:51 PM EDT
How about the burabake that brownells sells in the spraycan? Anyone tried it?
Top Top