Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2016 9:42:51 PM EDT
Anyone have any experience with this stuff?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1841368409/lauer-duracoat-firearm-finish-12-oz-aerosol

I have black upper receiver that I want to refinish in grey for my xm177 project and was wondering if the "combat grey" or "Parkerizing" colors match would match Colt's original anodizing. Also, how is the durability compared to Alumahyde?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:01:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I did a couple pistol slides with it. Works well. In particular I had an FNS 9 that I painted the slide OD Green. Used that gun a lot then sold it to a guy that rents it for his classes frequently. Is holding up great.

Follow the instructions and properly prepare the items to be coated, let it cure completely and you are good to go. Once you mix the can you have to use it all in the next 24 hrs.

I don't know about the color matches, but I do know that it is an exceptionally tougher finish than Alumahyde II. Now if you apply the Alumahyde II properly and let it cure it is pretty darn tough stuff and a lot cheaper. I paint a lot of my rifles with it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:28:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I did my SBR with it. The handguard was a good match for the old colt grey color. However I would caution you that in my experience the stuff is exceptionally temp sensitive. It was about 20 degrees when I was doing mine (yes silly i know) and It came out very shiny. I've also used it in the mid 80s and had the same result so follow the instructions carefully and make sure you keep it in a good temp control environment.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:24:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm getting ready to spray an old shotgun with the DuraBlue in an aerosol can. The YouTube videos on it look great, I mean it looks like the can has a great spray pattern and delivers plenty of product. I'll post when I'm done, but I'm trying to finish my paint booth first. Also, if you're going to use a lot of DuraCoat, it's much more economical to have your own rig, and just purchase the color (remember each color comes with the hardener) and the Durastrip...which is what I'm doing. But I did get the DuraBlue in Aerosol because it was before I decided to get a paint booth and rig. Also, one last note: with the can, once you activate it the clock is ticking. Activation of the can (can within a can) means you've activated the hardener, so you have 4 weeks to use the can. Where as, if you get the color by itself, you're mixing as you go so you don't have to worry as much about your shelf life. I'm just really trying find some pics of and of the metallic family colors applied. The website representations are awful.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:34:45 AM EDT
[#4]
From experience, once you activate the can you only have about 24 hours before the paint starts getting "lumpy" and difficult to apply.  It's best to have your projects lined up and use it within hours after activating it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:47:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From experience, once you activate the can you only have about 24 hours before the paint starts getting "lumpy" and difficult to apply.  It's best to have your projects lined up and use it within hours after activating it.
View Quote

Whoa, seriously? Why do they say 4 weeks on the website?? They need to fix that. Also means I'm going to have to do my Dad's shotgun and my brother's CZ in the same shot. thanks for saving me on that! Would have been an epic fail!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:56:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:57:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Whoa, seriously? Why do they say 4 weeks on the website?? They need to fix that. Also means I'm going to have to do my Dad's shotgun and my brother's CZ in the same shot. thanks for saving me on that! Would have been an epic fail!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, seriously.  When you first activate it, the paint comes out smooth and silky, and looks great.  By the next day it is already starting to thicken up a bit, and it does not go on nearly as smoothly.  It starts to get little hard paint specks in it, and it starts to come out unevenly.  You will love it on day one, not be so happy on day two, and hate it by day three - at least from my personal experience.  I'm lineing up enough projects for a full can right now.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:40:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes, seriously.  When you first activate it, the paint comes out smooth and silky, and looks great.  By the next day it is already starting to thicken up a bit, and it does not go on nearly as smoothly.  It starts to get little hard paint specks in it, and it starts to come out unevenly.  You will love it on day one, not be so happy on day two, and hate it by day three - at least from my personal experience.  I'm lineing up enough projects for a full can right now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I  appreciate the heads up on that. My paint booth is almost done and I should be spraying by next week.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top